Wanted: Front brake disc air deflector

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Wanted: Front brake disc air deflector

Post by jamescarruthers »

One of my ball joints is rattling, it's the one where the brake disc air deflector is missing. The other one, with deflector in place, is fine. I think this little guard must act as a splash guard for the ball joint too.

I'm going to put a new ball joint on but thought protecting it with a splash guard would be useful, if I can get hold of one. I need the r/h side, please.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
RxBX
Over 2k

Re: Wanted: Front brake disc air deflector

Post by RxBX »

jamescarruthers wrote:One of my ball joints is rattling, it's the one where the brake disc air deflector is missing. The other one, with deflector in place, is fine. I think this little guard must act as a splash guard for the ball joint too.

I'm going to put a new ball joint on but thought protecting it with a splash guard would be useful, if I can get hold of one. I need the r/h side, please.
Hi James, I'm a little confused of your wanted request (As the title) is a different item to the Front Lower Suspension Ball Joint Protector (Citroen O/E part number 362306) see THIS thread for clarification !

But if your wanting both items ?

The Front brake disc 'Air Scoops' (to aid cooling) were manufactured in a thin metal sheet or plastic !
So if your wanting this item too it perhaps best to to try and get a good S/H or new one to match the one on your N/S !

I hope the /\ maybe of help ?

:)

jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

Left

Right

To clarify, it is the brake disc deflector on the left side that I'd like; preferably in plastic. As you can see from the pictures above, this is what I am missing.

Rxbx, the actual ball joint protector, is that what I can see between the disc and the ball joint/ wishbone on the left hand picture above?
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

jamescarruthers wrote: To clarify, it is the brake disc deflector on the left side that I'd like; preferably in plastic. As you can see from the pictures above, this is what I am missing.
Yes, that is correct James !
jamescarruthers wrote:.............
Rxbx, the actual ball joint protector, is that what I can see between the disc and the ball joint/ wishbone on the left hand picture above?
and Yes, that is correct too !

So, back to the original 'Wanted Item' I take your just wanting a N/S plastic Front brake disc 'Air Scoop' for now (which is missing/broken off) and you may need a Front Lower Suspension Ball Joint Protector (Citroen O/E part number 362306) when/if you renew the Ball joint which has been already covered in my /\ last post !
I've also just checked my spares stash and unfortunately I don't have any spare N/S plastic 'Air Scoops' however I do have a pair manufactured from steel/tin-plate c/w with the additional mounting brackets !

If the steel/tin-plate ones are okay please PM me so that I can send you further details thro' to you ?

:)

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I had the brake pads changed on the GT, the garage couldn't be bothered to refit the air deflector. Afterwards there was a knock which sounded like a ball joint that I couldn't find. Turns out the deflector being removed meant the caliper wasn't held in place properly and it was making the knocking noise even when the bolts were tight so I guess acted as a washer/spacer.

Once I refitted it the noise stopped.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

That's interesting Tim -I have an occasional clunk from Timex when braking in reverse, and can't remember if I've got deflectors on both sides.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

citsncycles wrote:That's interesting Tim -I have an occasional clunk from Timex when braking in reverse, and can't remember if I've got deflectors on both sides.

Worth a check, sometimes mine does that too, think its the caliper moving.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've also had that very same thing happen. The plastic deflector had broken off, so I just put the metal bracket back. Problem solved.

I think the metal ducts are stronger - seem to recall Timex has at least one fitted? Mind you, BXs do seem a bit prone to a bit of caliper clonk in reverse - or maybe it's because no-one refits the ducts!
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

My calipers clonk when reversing - both deflectors are in place, it's just the parts of the caliper moving from the place they've settled while going forwards.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!