And they keep coming

Anything about BXs
Thread Bear
1K Away

And they keep coming

Post by Thread Bear »

Made an offer I could not refuse I am likely to become the owner of a BX 14E Saloon, Leader type but not badged as such, in White of 1989 with 105k miles up. A good solid car out of long non use in a garage. It is suffering a major LHM hemorrhage. Nearly the same sort of condition as the 1.6 Auto. So it is going straight over to the storage shed. So a collection now. =D>

With it I am the proud owner of a rather ill BX 17 TZD Estate in Blue from 1992 with 208k miles up. :-" This is on the road with short ticket and rent. It is a car too far for me and once I have resolved a couple of issues, sounds like it needs an alternator for instance, I will probably put it up for sale. I am not a good welder and it needs some welding to the n/s rear, so it maybe this will put folk off it. If so its probably parts time. I think it has some life left in it as a cheapy for someone, though. O:)

Also coming is a quantity of misc spares. Just what I was looking for. \:D/

The seller is sadly slightly financially distressed but has plenty of enthusiasm for BX. So it might be I get the car sorted and he has it back, as I will be cheaper doing the work he cannot than a garage, and he might have resolved his, err, accounts deficit by then. letsbefriends

Fortunately looks like the self destruct van has sold, big loss on that but shit happens. The minimal proceeds will pay for the two collectible BX and spares. Its the only way I can resolve this to see an advantage. ](*,)
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Re: And they keep coming

Post by Stinkwheel »

Ahhh Mr Bear,

The TZD estate may be of interest to me if its cheap enough when it becomes available :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Well done TB. I'm sure that 14E will do close on 200k once sorted. Hope its got the 5 sp box though as the ratios have a big gap 3-4 on the 4 sp ones. Basically 3rd - 5th from the 5 sp box.
Sounds like an Octopus problem but sometimes its just fr supension returns. That and the spheres will need doing. Good luck with her oh its probably worth changing the fuel pump as the internal diaghrams go at least mine did at 155k on my old 14RE. Some v cheap ones (proper Motaquip) on ebay - £1.50!.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

You got the BX bug worse than most! well done bud, keep um coming!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Do you know I have no idea how many gears it has! #-o At the 'price' - to include the other stuff, so I could be wrong - , you buy it, if you can stash it. Due to lack of tow vehicle it is to stay in its current lock up for a month or so. Even if I hate it, it is good enough for someone else to love. Might get pics as I have to shuttle the TZD up here and off the street in the next few days.

With respect to the TZD my initial thoughts are if you can weld it would seem a good prospect as a driver. Not silly miles up but enough to suggest the need of a kindly hand to extract a full service. Again I will attempt pics at a suitable moment. I knew I would start becoming a home for fallen BX. :roll:

As to selling, I will let you know, but first call goes to my bud, though he sounds more non turbo to me. I might drive the car to Stafford, what and miss the rally at Stratford, I am going mad. !!!---))) Then folk can see it in its real state. :rofl: Any good to you there Stinkwheel?

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thread Bear wrote: As to selling, I will let you know, but first call goes to my bud, though he sounds more non turbo to me. I might drive the car to Stafford, what and miss the rally at Stratford, I am going mad. !!!---))) Then folk can see it in its real state. :rofl: Any good to you there Stinkwheel?

Thats fine by me, If your friend is first in line i shall happily get in line should he decide it snot for him, i can wield the old electtric hot spanner so if it should come my way i expect it would stay on the road for a while :)

We are intending to be at stratford, possibly in a BX TZD estate actually!!
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Well its here but not without a drama. The engine seems to be falling out! WTF?

Well actually the top mounting bracket seems to have started to fail. This is the area I always looked at as a dubious looking design - thinking Al mod to make it stronger - where the engine has a pressing behind the cam-belt cover for the ali bridging piece to attach to. The steel has torn. I am willing to bet that means a major strip of that side to change it. I cannot understand quite why it should go, but it might be as a result of a prior issue underneath. Need to get underneath - it was ever thus on a BX, I think. Getting me fitter. :shock:

Up until then it was going really rather well. Bummer. My bud was all ready to borrow it for his Isle of Wight hols as the Merc is in serious trub. :-# Could have had a convert there. He might have to have Gary X but I will not have time to sort out a new clutch. I am happy not pushing it, as I am not ready to do the job till i have back up wheels. but I know what Dave is like. [-X

Rear lights are in the sink, they were nearly black. Cleaning the car out etc. It is stripped so you can see the rusted area in need of work. Is it worth it? Dunno. Pics maybe tomorrow.

Would I be right in assuming the top engine mount will be the same as a Pug 405? Of course it maybe that the bottom one has failed taking out the top. I would guess that is different on a 405? I am reluctant to start throwing money at this car as I was not planning on keeping it.

Got to sort out a van tomorrow, more laying under stuff. but might get time to get to the scrap yard. If I can fix the mounting I can drive the TZD and sort out any other niggles, but there none preventing use but electricals not working, blower, interior lights etc. =D>