New steel wheels ?

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
kbami8txd
Confirmed BX'er

New steel wheels ?

Post by kbami8txd »

Is it possible to buy new steel wheels for the BX ? :) :) I've got a TXD with 14 inch 175 /65's
citronut
Over 2k

Re: New steel wheels ?

Post by citronut »

this is the only part No./steely rim still showing as available from citroen

price and part No. below

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
96155310 STEEL WHEEL 59.90 GBP 71.88 GBP 71.88 GBP

you can do a goooogly search with that No. to see if theres any NOS about for less dosh

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

So why do you want new steels?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Defender110 wrote:So why do you want new steels?

Unless they are properly knackered then i agree with the above.

Blasting and powder coating is going to run you at most 50 quid a wheel.
Much better overall and longer lasting than any new steel wheels with the thinnest of paint coverings from the factory.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

..that_

It's not like they have a reputation for blowing apart at the seams like 2CV wheels do! so long as they are straight and not too badly pitted, they should come up like new. If you're fitting trims you don't see much of them in any case!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
kbami8txd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by kbami8txd »

Was just a request for info
but there are some on e.bay for £46
closest blasting to me is £56 per wheel (inc VAT)
A few quid per wheel for a thick layer of Smoothrite ? #-o
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I would expect that any wheels available from Citroen wouldn't actually be BX ones, but something similar from a later model that fits! If that's the case I'd hope that the important dimensions match (although past experience has taught me that's not always the case), but any cutouts, styling shaping etc. may be different.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Be aware that Hammerite paints are no longer enamel based chuffing hard paint by Finnigans, 'eck as like. Its nigh on cellulose in a tin and it does not do what it says on the tin. You can thank the American buyer of the brand for changing what was a good product into crap. Cadbury's choccy anyone?

Not sure what is best replacement but to be honest I think powder coating offers about the best finish. That goes for the wheels too.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
kbami8txd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by kbami8txd »

Yes - may go with restoring the originals- there seem to be too many variables with new non original ones
thanks everyone for that =D>
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

You may find that Hammerite had to change its formula in 2010. It was a chlorophyll? thinners you needed with it and it would dry your throat out like nothing else. Along with the removal of Dichloromethanes from paint strippers (Nitromors, Mangers) and other VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), all part of the Montreal Protocol which the UK as part of the EU signed up to. So now we have paint strippers that don't strip hard ie 2k paints, and paints that don't do what they used to - protect. Of course if you quote a paint stripping job to a politician and its 10 times longer than it was they will expect the same price.....

We'll be putting pitch on our vehicles yet or a blend of animal fats for corrosion protection!

£54 per wheel seems v expensive to me, I could probably get all 4 done for that. I'd get them powder coated or 2k epoxy primed and 2k acrylic/polyurethane (normal) top coat, base silver or grey or whatever takes your fancy.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I've had powder coating that didn't quite get into the join between the 2 halves of the wheel leaving the potential for rust exactly where you don't want it - I guess it doesn't flow the same way that paint does. In the end I made a rotating jig to turn the wheels as I applied a tough black paint from rattle cans and that worked well. That was in the days when VOCs were around - I'd guess epoxy would be the best way to go now.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

My local metal finisher will shot blast and paint wheel for £30 each.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kbami8txd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by kbami8txd »

The ones on e.bay are under "citroen bx 14 inch steel wheels" - wheel n things - made by KFZ who are OE manufacturers for Citroen etc , so its claimed they are exactly the same as OE just without the Citroen stamp. They are £46 each - take your choice - if I could find a local blast place to do it for £30 I'd go that route but my local one is £56 so I may apply extra paint to a new set ???
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

As the wheels are mostly covered by the trim itself you could just freshen up the rim itself with some sanding and paint.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....