1580cc Petrol engine?

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

1580cc Petrol engine?

Post by Stinkwheel »

Does anyone have a PSA style BX/405 1.6 petrol donk excess to requirements that hasnt covered astronomical mileage?

Im wondering if its worth rebuilding a slightly smokey and rumbly 1.6 with 160k on the clock in the TXi you see, or if just throwing another lump in short term is the answer.

Any thoughts on the matter eagerly recieved.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: 1580cc Petrol engine?

Post by Tim Leech »

Same as fitted to 405, ZX and 306 models I think but some later ones have efi. The 1.6 is renowned for vale stem seals giving in so it may be easier to get the head done?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I was wondering that, quick head job (oooerr misses) which id tackle myself. or lump with less miles.

Obviously this TXi is injected anyway, so i would just swap those bits onto replacement lump if thats the way it goes.
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

But if it's rumbly too, it'll need more than a head...you might be able to drop the sump and get away with just replacing the big end shells but if the crank needs grinding too you're looking at more than a quick weekend job! If it was a long term keeper I'd be inclined to rebuild rather than replace, but I guess you don't know at this stage?

Didn't 306s only use the 1.6 litre version of the TU engine? I certainly don't remember seeing a petrol XU in a 306, but I've only tinkered with a handful.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ive not heard of a bottom letting go myself. You could of course just keep putting thicker oil in!
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Yep Mat i think 306's had the TU in.

Im not quite sure what to do with it yet, but the engine is its biggest issue, the rest of the car works absolutely perfectly, its the best riding BX ive had in an absolute age, its been very well maintained hydraulically it would appear.
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I imagine you could fit a 1.8 if you wanted aswell out of a Xantia/ZX etc.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tim Leech wrote:Ive not heard of a bottom letting go myself. You could of course just keep putting thicker oil in!

or try that teflon houlio,

they recon once an engine has used it you can run with the sump drained, as it coats all the moving parts with teflon

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

What is your engine plate designation? Is it B2C or B2B the former is Citroen and the latter Peugeot and they are not necessarily identical. The B2C is carb fed and the B2B is injection but may also be different somewhere else, probably on the head or cover. Possible to that the B2B replaced the B2C in the 1.6.
Personally after losing a rod through the crankcase I had no option of just doing the head!. However the old unit just removed with 157k on it was burning and leaking oil at a rate of 1ltr per 1000 miles. Apparently acceptable for a Skoda Fabia (!) according the Fabia manual. It was definitely 'soft' and gutless. If the bottom end is good and the cam not worn, I would do the head. Check valves and guides and replace springs and seals as a minimum. The bottom end should do 200 -250k according to some sensible service atricles I have encountered. For sure regrinding and possibly light recutting of the valve seats would be beneficial.

Having got a 63k unit in now, the difference is marked. It just purrs at 2k revs and upwards and pulls and wants to pull way up the rev range. Better economy too from about 37-40 to over 42 mpg. Feels like an extra 15-20hp. Well worth a good fettle. I will admit if I have a go at mine (157k unit) I will probably leave the exhaust manifold in place. With a nut splitter etc I might be brave and remove it, but I can't see its necessary. After a good warm these little engines really do have a nice smooth character with enough guts. On my carb ones economy suffers after around 3,300 rpm when the second choke comes in. If you can bear to hold it just under that it will give good consumption figures.

Last weekend I was pulling a double boat trailer around, no problem with 1.6. With my old 1.4 it would have been slow and a bit painful. Yes I know a diesel would be better!.