Elusive LHM leak

Anything about BXs
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: Elusive LHM leak

Post by Thread Bear »

Serious shedding, class 1 by the sound of it, at the root of tree felling. I like the fact you were clever enough to use the timber within the house. It is sad to lop a good tree but if it lives on then it sort of becomes part of the whole thing about living there. I have a table made out of a very old Blenhiem Orange appletree trunk section. It had knots, knurls and knarls, so is architecturally interesting. The tree was hollow and the middle now has lighting so it shines out of the top and through several holes that used to keep nesting birds etc happy. Sad day to cut that up but it fell in a storm. The apples were fantastic and collecting them was full length on the double ladder when Mum was not about.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Unfortunately the Douglas Fir was in the words of the tree surgeons ' a forest tree in a domestic garden', and when you think 65 years old is stripling for such a tree!. Biggest in UK is probably in excess of 200'. It was about 8-10' from the house....one branch fell on end in a storm, buried 600mm in the earth. If that had been my BX with me in it!!.

I've still got a fair bit of the Fir in stick in the garage. It was quarter sawn as much as possible in planks of in old money 8" X 21/4" and around 12-13' long. There's s few knots but you can cut them out and scarf it or work round it well enough. Fun putting the sections through the circular - 2 cuts as I can get just over 4" depth from the blade. Planes OK by machine and routs OK but is a bit coarse grain for really delicate hand work. Heartwood is a very nice pinky orange rich colour. Contrary to the data I have for D Fir I would estimate its weight as around 720Kg m/cube so somewhat similar to ash but a bit softer between the hard grain bits. Architecturally it is classed as moderately durable - Scots pine certainly is not! Got a garden bench out some of the top section too. Far too good to waste especially when you price up buying new timber. I reckon it was about 50% the cost but I had to dry it. It has repaired a few boats too, though its really a bit heavy. In fact its quite atraditional timber for boat building. I nearly used it for my last one but 0.38 density of W R Cedar against 0.72 of the Fir it was no contest.

Sounds nice that apple table TB. All the fruit woods are fine grain and hardwearing - cherry, apple, pear and I even have a bit of homegrown peach (broken by snow in 2010). If the bits are big enough and they do not have to be that large I will use it for something rather than burn it. Using burr or some of the internal natural marks can make for great visual interest in a piece in addition to its form.
Mostly its done by turners with bowls and stuff but half decent cabinet makers, boatbuilders and others can get something out of interesting timber. Often pretty difficult to work when grain is going everywhere - cabinet scraper is useful - but rewarding.

When I lived in Hersham there was a huge pear tree, we could barely get to a pear even with an 8' ladder. It must hve been 50'+, cut down for a car park.... now that tree would be worth a pretty penny now.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

+ 1 for recycling fallen trees

and heres his mummy who was commissioned for a local country park .
ours ( the smaller one ) was the artists practice piece

1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

A good thing to have.

I was looking forward to helping fell several acres of pines owned with the French place my folks bought. It was overdue for logging. They never did it and last time I was there there was serious die back and so on. Probably still get a deal from one of the local timber yards and trade for enough timber to build a large wooden holiday chalet even though the pines would now be low grade. Not sure what they are but a plantation variety of some 60 to 70 years ago. Would have been worth a good amount if taken as a crop. They never did anything with the 14 hectares of land save let the neighbour take hay of the grass bits. It remains a slight temptation to disappear into those woods and live a simple existence as some of the locals do down there.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Bringing the LHM leak up to date and not repeating the full blog.

Being forced to drive the un-repaired Gary on the leaking strut during an illness that stopped me working I found that the leak has reduced, in use, to nothing. How does that work? When will it start again?