CXM Rally 2013

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: CXM Rally 2013

Post by Tim Leech »

Des Smith wrote:
Tim Leech wrote:Slightly spoilt by reading this Months Citroenian and the SM columnists damning report of the national! Well done Mark on getting your valver on the front cover !
That sounds like an opportunity to scribe a few words of rebuttal in the next issue then, Tim. :D

Ive already sent him a rather "curt" email.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

What was said in the Citroenian? We're a 2CVGB family at the moment, rather put off by the "old boys" mentality of certain sectors of the CCC...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Bride of Stinkwheel
http://weaselsemark.carbonmade.com

Citroen BX St Tropez
Still not over H592 AGW "Hugo" TZD Turbo
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'd be interested to know what was said also - we can always split this off into a separate thread if needs be. For me it was one of the more enjoyable meets; sure, it wasn't perfect (better weather and somewhere to buy food on site would have helped!) but only minor stuff really.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

mat_fenwick wrote:I'd be interested to know what was said also - we can always split this off into a separate thread if needs be. For me it was one of the more enjoyable meets; sure, it wasn't perfect (better weather and somewhere to buy food on site would have helped!) but only minor stuff really.
Hi Mat !
The 'Food-Topic' has had some rather lively discussion over on the XM-FORUM, you should be able to see that section of the forum without being a member, there's also some nice photos posted there too :wink:

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mat_fenwick wrote:I'd be interested to know what was said also - we can always split this off into a separate thread if needs be. For me it was one of the more enjoyable meets; sure, it wasn't perfect (better weather and somewhere to buy food on site would have helped!) but only minor stuff really.
I think he compares it National Rally's of old where you could win a 2CV as a first prize and theres was mostly DS's and SM's on show.....time moves on as does the membership, we need younger blood which sadly cant afford to own a DS etc.

Personally I thought the CXM was very good, the food was fine by me and after all it was free!, shame the numbers were poor and it rained but we cant help that! A big thanks to all those involved.

As for the Jag winning the Roger Bradford trophy....it was a bit of a surprise but Patrick Rugg knew him better than anyone else on site so he was the man to decide. Apparently he loved the "E" and would have coveted it.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I was meaning a food van at the National, not referring to the CXM which I didn't attend (distance, coupled with friends visiting up here), Having a van come around for breakfast or hot food during the day would (for me) have been welcome, although you've got to balance that against presumably an up front cost to get the caterers in, plus the inevitable comments about it being expensive/crap food if you do! It certainly wasn't a big deal for me, put it that way.

As for prizes, they have to reflect the money available. But the possibility of winning a prize is fairly low down the list of reasons why I attend these events...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Catering facilities were on hand at the National Mat. Well BXClub HQ was anyways. :-)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I must admit that no food on the site was a downer for me, i didn't have anything to eat all day & set off early as a result & found a mcdonalds & it tasted bleedin lovely as i was starving, apart from that it was fine.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mds141 wrote:Catering facilities were on hand at the National Mat. Well BXClub HQ was anyways. :-)

Indeed! I can recommend the chef!
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Brian Cass (SeMantics columnist) wrote:I was bitterly disappointed in this meeting, which appeared to be a camping meeting held for Citroen owners, (camping is not my scene). I also understand from another SM owner who attended on the Sunday that it was not much better that day. The only good part about it was meeting new and old friends.
Not a particularly instructive critique is it? Ray Fenwick's editorial addresses the issues raised by CCC members, these being principally to do with a long walk to the toilets and showers and the lack of a wet-weather alternative. I suspect this is being driven by the older contingent, possibly with very pressing reasons for being close to a loo.

I imagine there are venues with better facilities, particularly for those spending the night and craving some decent scoff. Toilets are pretty critical too, but for the day visitors it wasn't a drama. Personally, these kind of events are likely to involve an element of compromise on the convenience (sorry) front and to some, part of the charm. At the end of the day, you're putting a load of cars in a field and if you want gucci facilities, they're going to need to be paid for.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

MULLEY wrote:found a mcdonalds & it tasted bleedin lovely.
Fer chris'sakes, you must have been desperate!
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Wasn't the pub open?

CXM seem to be a bit like the Saab things I went to in the stroker. The later car owners did not seem much interested in the earlier cars and some seemed, or indeed, made themselves, unapproachable. Others were very friendly and willing to impart knowledge. Takes all sorts to make a club and they all have a right to turn up at an event. However unless there is something interesting going on, or folk are talking, there is little hold. I have had my fill of standing around in fields looking at shiny cars. Not interested in prizes, really, though its nice to be given one. Tatty old sheds are much more interesting, be it static and full, or on wheels at the event needing putting back together to get home. Its the Campaign for more Grease at events and an excuse to play cars.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

And are these DS and SM owners going to put in all the effort to make it they way THEY want it? Hmm?

Really upsets me. I thoroughly enjoyed the national, and by the behaviour or most SM and DS owners their idea of a great meet would be sleeping in a camping chair 3 feet from their car with knotted hankies on their heads, then off to bed early as soon as the sun dips below the treetops.
Bride of Stinkwheel

Citroen BX St Tropez
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Charlotte wrote:And are these DS and SM owners going to put in all the effort to make it they way THEY want it? Hmm?

Really upsets me. I thoroughly enjoyed the national, and by the behaviour or most SM and DS owners their idea of a great meet would be sleeping in a camping chair 3 feet from their car with knotted hankies on their heads, then off to bed early as soon as the sun dips below the treetops.
Most DS/SM owners are probably of a certain age with little overheads and a few quid in the bank, fair enough but if we planned 2014 at a large country house with 4 star hotel rooms and catered food at £15 a head I imagine it would put most people off.
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

Tim Leech wrote:...and catered food at £15 a head...
Remember how many people were angry about the £12 hogroast at Little Horwood a couple of years ago! I was one of them actually, because I don't like pork :lol:
Bride of Stinkwheel

Citroen BX St Tropez