Wanted: Height corrector

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
mat_fenwick

Wanted: Height corrector

Post by mat_fenwick »

I think I've got some dirt stuck in my rear height corrector, so was planning to rebuild it. It only rises if I stick it onto high and then lower it to normal! This is intermediate:

Just wondered if anyone had a serviceable spare they'd like to sell? That way I could rebuild it at leisure, and just swap the two over. Looking at the pipe unions I think they're going to need a bit of time to loosen, so I'd prefer not to have to rebuild and re-install the HC the same evening...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Wanted: Height corrector

Post by Way2go »

This is usually caused by the linkage and bushes needing lubrication when this happens on the front - had to do mine 3 times now. Perhaps your rear HC Is OK and just the linkage needs similar lubrication? :?:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I haven't double checked, but last time I stripped and greased the pivot was only last year, so that should still be OK. It's almost as if there's lots of slack somewhere, as it won't really rise much off the bump stops unless on full height. Perhaps more investigation required, but even if not needed right away it'd be nice to have a rebuilt spare on the shelf!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I'm sure I have several knocking about mate, I'll have a look later on and see what's what. i know ill ave a Xantia and XM one too, they only difference being a different connector where the actuator rod links on (ball on a bx but more of a bracket on a Xantia and XM type) but you can swap the bally thing over from your existing one. Pm me your address
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Cheers Bandit, PM sent :)

I'll hopefully have a look underneath tonight, and maybe even have a go at cracking off the pipes.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Found one mate, a bit dirty mind! Will post tomorroow
1990 BX TGD White
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

:D Thank you sir! Don't make a special trip though, as I don't think the height corrector itself is the (main) problem. Had a look underneath last night, at which point (predictably) it started to rain. What's happened is that the pivot bush has disintegrated, so most of the movement of the height lever is making the linkage move but not the HC rod.

I managed to find something which took up most of the slack, so the situation is better now. I'll drill out a bolt and make up a better bush I think, as it's still doing it to some extent. I don't know how much of that is play in the pivot versus crud in the HC though.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

A brass bolt I take it :) Silicon bronze is ideal but a bit of phosphor bronze bar should do OK.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

In think the existing bush for one part of the mechanism is phosphor bronze and is the part normally to wear, but the part that is actuated directly by the height control lever is all steel, a bolt with two lock nuts in a bush. That could wear too without good lubrication and it is more exposed.

Anyway Matt, il post it Friday as its raining all day and I'll have the non bx to run around in. I can eventually post Vince's head rests at he same time!
1990 BX TGD White
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

BX Bandit wrote:I think the existing bush for one part of the mechanism is phosphor bronze and is the part normally to wear
That's the bit I'll be replacing with a (brass) bolt - I've managed to sleeve the rod to stop it rattling around in the pivot hole but would assume the original bush has some kind of flange on it to stop it sliding around. A bit of pipe on the rod to prevent the sleeve being lost is a temporary bodge.
BX Bandit wrote:the part that is actuated directly by the height control lever is all steel, a bolt with two lock nuts in a bush. That could wear too without good lubrication and it is more exposed.
The plate which pivots on this bolt I completely lost last year! I think what happened is I hit it on a rock, dislodging it from the other two linkages which allowed it to turn freely and loosen.

Cheers for the HC, I'll let you know when it arrives :)

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I can muster photos if you like mate as I dropped my rear sub frame t'other day to gain access for all me rust proofing. Yes that phosphor bronze bush is top hat in cross section
1990 BX TGD White
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

mat_fenwick wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:I think the existing bush for one part of the mechanism is phosphor bronze and is the part normally to wear
That's the bit I'll be replacing with a (brass) bolt - I've managed to sleeve the rod to stop it rattling around in the pivot hole but would assume the original bush has some kind of flange on it to stop it sliding around. A bit of pipe on the rod to prevent the sleeve being lost is a temporary bodge.
Hi Mat, there was an E-bay listing for these 'Top-Hat' bushes (#CIT795A) recently by AEP but sadly looks like they've sold out, perhaps worth calling them to check if they may have them back in stock or even your main/local Citroen dealer ?

Anyhow I can remember Graeme making one of these up for 'Cyril' but as suggested use a brass bolt rather that a steel one (If your thinking of doing the same) as a Steel to Steel could cause even more premature wear to the control rod which locates in the internal bore of the 'Top-hat' !
Aerodynamica wrote: Next job: front corrector rebuild and fix linkage.
Here's the beast
Nice accessible mounting bolts and one pipe but the other 2 pipes looked hard to reach. The pressure supply pipe was a bit fiddly but not too bad and the return pipe -usually a rigid steel item like the others- on the BX it's a fixing with a rubber return hose connected to it - this is better because you can crack it while the correctors still mounted, remove the 2 easier pipes and then take the corrector mounting screws out so that you can simply hold the return pipe and wind the corrector unit off the connection! - never really been able to do that on any other Citroen I've worked on.
The part dismantled and gunged-up front corrector
Here's the height corrector flexible linkage between the anti roll bar and the corrector's ball joint:
This photo is actually the rear one coz I seem to have lost the front picture but they are very similar :oops: the brass pivot bush fitted on the end of the rod and on the bench a spare bush and a modified one. This bush has a loose fit in the subframe and the rod (steel) that pivots in the bush wears and altogether they have lots of slack play that cause the suspension to ride a little high or low - it's the same on CXs. The other part where it wears it the 'fork' that fits on the corrector's ball joint - both are steel and both wear at their respective contact points. Fork can be seen at the highest part of the photo.

Here, the rod and bush - you can see the years of wear on the rod about 20mm from the end

This replaced the brass bush. It's just an M10 screw with a series of stepped bores in side going from 7.5mm down to 5.5
The linkage with the old bush
And fitted with the new type
This makes a great difference when it's back together.
The /\ taken form THIS thread for ref. !

I hope this maybe of help to you (and others), also saves Neil trying to explain the set-up or post up photos (As we already have some) :wink:

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Nice one RX, access wasn't as easy as I thought so I didn't get time to take photos!
1990 BX TGD White