New owner

Anything about BXs
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: New owner

Post by Thread Bear »

I think it makes a difference but mainly to choose a tyre that matches the way you drive. Prior to this time round I ran the BX on Michelin,. it suited me and the car, both. It was pointed out to me that a decade or more later the cheaper tyres have improved a good deal, within reason. Running a set of Polish 165's I have to agree. They probably will not last so long and ultimate grip is not there, but for the majority of my driving in a Turbo Diesel they are fine. Might be a problem when we get to towing, but I doubt it. Will the 1.4 want better grip for its lighter weight and need to be light footed to make up for its lack of cc's? I could see it so. Clearly spirited use demands better rubber. No idea what these Polish jobs cost but I think about £38 a throw if I remember what the seller said. I avoided low profile sections as they ride harder, not what I wanted.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

MULLEY wrote:The make of tyre won't affect the ride one little bit, handling yes, but ride comfort not one iota.

Got to disagree a little here Matthew, some makes of tyre have much softer side walls?
Condorman wrote: One question someone here can probably answer is would it feel smoother with different tyres? At the moment there are Goodyear's on the front and Semperit/Firestone on the back. I remember a Xantia I had with Goodyear's on the front and it was a beast. When I changed to Kumho the ride and steering were vastly improved; is the BX as sensitive to tyre make? Would Kumho tyres work, or some other make, or would it be best to go the whole hog and get Michelin?

Peter.
I know from experience BX's are very sensitive to tyre type/choice, wider tyres wreck the ride comfort as can older correct size tyres where the side walls have hardened up. The ride quality on my TZD was transformed when I fitted new Michelin's onto it.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Agree with Defender. Found Goodyears v noisy and a bit 'hard'. Cinturatos' OK, Dunlops too light steering but OK, similar ride to Michelin which have a little more steering weight. Personal preference really, I prefer to have 2 Michelin on the front at least, pref the rear too but less important. The Continentals might be worth a look though. Everyone has their own opinion, would be interesting to do some BX stopping distance tests dry/wet etc to find out in the real world.

Years back only Michelin and Goodyear made the size - couldn't work out the Goodyear ones until I discovered they had a decent sized factory in France..... :lol:
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Defender110 wrote:
MULLEY wrote:The make of tyre won't affect the ride one little bit, handling yes, but ride comfort not one iota.

Got to disagree a little here Matthew, some makes of tyre have much softer side walls?
Condorman wrote: One question someone here can probably answer is would it feel smoother with different tyres? At the moment there are Goodyear's on the front and Semperit/Firestone on the back. I remember a Xantia I had with Goodyear's on the front and it was a beast. When I changed to Kumho the ride and steering were vastly improved; is the BX as sensitive to tyre make? Would Kumho tyres work, or some other make, or would it be best to go the whole hog and get Michelin?

Peter.
I know from experience BX's are very sensitive to tyre type/choice, wider tyres wreck the ride comfort as can older correct size tyres where the side walls have hardened up. The ride quality on my TZD was transformed when I fitted new Michelin's onto it.
Yes the wider sectioned 185 Perelli were not as pleasant as the 165 despite a better grip on the limit. Fine for a faster petrol version so I will hang on to them. Michelin were advertising a discount at the moment. Might be an illusion by the time a deal has been done with the trade but might make a difference.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It may be worth checking they age of the tyres - IIRC I think Tim changed a couple of tyres, but if any were not changed after its layup they may have hardened.

I'm running a mix of budgets on Timex at the moment - Matadors on the back and Goodrides on the front. People who've seen me on challenges know that I tend to drive enthusiastically, so you may not get the same issues but I find hard cornering when loaded can make the back let go slightly (never enough to feel like I'll lose control big time) and the fast right turns round some of the big roundabouts we have round here are scrubbing the outer edge of the nearside front tyre down.

It was a long time ago (12 years ish), but when running my first BX I found it cheaper to get 175's for it than 165's, which a lot of manuals etc. seemed to list as an option.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I think I changed one wheel but the front tyres will be 14 years old + unless Dominic changed them.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Tinkley wrote: I prefer to have 2 Michelin on the front at least, pref the rear too but less important.

Sorry disagree here too; the rear tyres are more important and the advice of major tyre manufacturers if only fitting 2 tyres is to put them on the back as front tyre grip problems can be corrected with the steering whereas rear tyre grip problems result in loss of control. Michelin used to have a very good demonstration video on their website demonstrating this.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Tim Leech wrote:
I think I changed one wheel but the front tyres will be 14 years old + unless Dominic changed them.
If they were MOTable and not badly cracked, he'd have left them on - some of the tyres on the GS when I bought it from them were nearly as old as the car!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

As an aside from whats right and or wrong, just a personal reccomendation.............

Debica passio 2 in 165/70-14 sizes are very good value and manufactured by goodyear. I have them on my St tropez and will be putting them on other BX's as and when they require new boots.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Did you mean something like this? Defender.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Towards the end, Michelin get their logo up.

Well I had a total instant blow out once on the rear on my old 14 hammering round the Ayrshire countryside. Zero loss of control, but boy did the pump go crazy trying to compensate. Wheel spinning in the wet 'grooves' of the M4 with the fronts was fun too... TBH I pretty much always change mine at approx 3mm tread depth as they tend to aquaplane/slide significantly less. Age is definitely a big factor on m/cycle tyres, you really do have a lot less grip with a tyre over 12 years old. Never ever aquaplaned m/cycle even at 90 into 200mm of water, good fun overtaking the cars who were aquaplaning.... :lol:

Still prefer to have matched fronts for braking, accelerating and cornering.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

My 'aged' tyres just fell apart! Not recommended. Better cheapos than punctures all over the place. Then maybe I drive harder than some? Would think not.

What I have squeals before it lets go. I will settle for that as you know if your pressing on to hard. Same as the Minis I used to drive. The issue was not so much skidding with them but stopping. The BX does not have that problem unless the rubber bits are crap. Then I tend not to drive up people 'arris like many do today so I hope to be OK on that.

To true on Motorway troughs. Can be nasty. Brussels ring road used to be terrible. You could drown in some of them. Fortunately redone a few years ago.

Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Yes that's the one Tinkley, I always thought it best to put new tyres on the front until I saw this then read similar recommendations.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I have to say I find the cheap Matadors fine on the 19D, it handles the mountain roads in France with ease and gripped very well and were quiet.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Defender110 wrote: Sorry disagree here too; the rear tyres are more important and the advice of major tyre manufacturers if only fitting 2 tyres is to put them on the back as front tyre grip problems can be corrected with the steering whereas rear tyre grip problems result in loss of control. Michelin used to have a very good demonstration video on their website demonstrating this.
My local tyre supplier/guru said the same thing when I replaced a pair of worn front tyres on the MX3. He insisted on rotating all my tyres so the new ones were on the rear end. Having spent my formative years on two wheels, it sounded counter-intuitive (lose the front on a bike and that's yer lot) but if he was happy to do the shuffling around, he must be serious.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Interesting comments about softer sidewalls, i just don't believe they can be that different to be noticeable as the car already has very soft hydraulic suspension, unless you are talking runflats which i've got experience of. If you could fit those to a BX you would deffo feel the difference. I've had vredesteins fitted to mine for the last 6 years & can recommend those if you want 185/60's. They'll need replacing soon, i may go to some goodyears that seem to have come out very well in some car tests, i already use goodyear winter tyres which are excellent.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.