BX 19 diesel MOT failure, Edinburgh

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Nojay

BX 19 diesel MOT failure, Edinburgh

Post by Nojay »

My landlord's 1991 BX diesel hatchback just failed its MOT and rather than just send it to a scrappy I thought someone on this forum might want to make an offer for it for parts or repair. It's genuinely low mileage (85,500) as my landlord never drove it much in the past few years. The paint is a bit rough as it's always been parked outdoors but there's no real external bodywork corrosion. It's a good driver, stable at motorway speeds and it brakes evenly with no drama. The doorlocks, windows, sunroof etc. all work. The MOT fail was for corrosion in the front spring suspension towers and a bit at the rear near the towbar as well as a brakepipe and some suspension pipe leaks. We're in central Edinburgh, close to Haymarket railway station if anyone's interested in having a look at it.
RxBX
Over 2k

Re: BX 19 diesel MOT failure, Edinburgh

Post by RxBX »

Hi and welcome to the BXC !

I see that your Landlord has this BX F/S on GUMTREE

If you/your landlord can get some photos loaded up on here and on Gumtree, it should hopefully promote a sale quicker :wink:

Good luck !

Nojay

Post by Nojay »

Here are some pictures of the BXD I'm selling on behalf of my landlord. Excuse the moss and muck, it's been parked outside in a rather rainy city for nearly all of its life.

Other pictures are at these links to save on bandwidth:

http://i.imgur.com/4y1KSfb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SwOHbC5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/F2gbhZ6.jpg

If you want to email me about it, my gmail account is nojay1. I don't know what the forum's policy is about posting phone numbers.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

There's no policy about posting phone numbers, but I'd personally be slightly reluctant to put mine on a public forum.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

The GUMTREE advert/listing now states "Sorry, this ad is no longer available" !

Perhaps Nojay, can confirm if its been sold ?

If so, is the new owner a Forum member ?

:)

Nojay

Post by Nojay »

A local mechanic bought it this evening as a restoration project. I don't think he's a member of the forum although I did mention it to him. I had a surprising amount of interest about it (I'd guess half were interested in it as a BX, half as a cheap diesel to fix up for a runabout) but the MOT was about to expire and I didn't have anywhere to put it for SORN purposes so we took the first solid offer that put cash in our hands and it's someone else's problem now.

It was only when we were going over the car with the buyer we spotted just how bad the corrosion around the front suspension towers and at the back really was; it will need quite a bit of plating and I've not got access to those sorts of welding and fabrication facilities any more.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Well done, =D>

At least its gone to a good home, rather than meeting its maker !
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

The areas needing welding on this car are well known to the forum, and if you have the kit to do that sort of thing it's straightforward to do if caught in time - I hope this one was and that it's back on the road soon.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!