Urgent/help - wanted - o/s/f front hub (+ABS & loom?)

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Urgent/help - wanted - o/s/f front hub (+ABS & loom?)

Post by Caffiend »

J119 has a bent o/s front hub from wheelbearing replacements. Which buggered up the newly fitted caliper, which locked on and wrecked the discs and pads. Caliper, discs, pads all being done under warranty as the bent hub should have been spotted. That's no good unless I get the hub replaced though.

Has anyone got one please? It has to be an ABS hub, preferably with the ABS sensor and loom still in place/disconnected correctly and [-o< working. If the ABS bits are knackered then Rob will have a go at angle-grinding mine off the old hub and if that doesn't work then at least the MOT is new and I have a year to sort that out ...
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
mat_fenwick

Re: Urgent/help - wanted - o/s/f front hub (+ABS & loom?)

Post by mat_fenwick »

I can lend a sensor short term if needed. Bandit might be worth contacting about the hub as he's breaking a car. Not sure whether it had ABS though.

The front sensors are easier to get off then the rears (they sit in a semi-circular recess rather than a hole) so hopefully this part of the job won't cause issues. In fact I'd suggest getting the old ones off regardless if they work, given the availability of new ones!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Caffiend wrote:J119 has a bent o/s front hub from wheelbearing replacements. Which buggered up the newly fitted caliper, which locked on and wrecked the discs and pads. Caliper, discs, pads all being done under warranty as the bent hub should have been spotted. That's no good unless I get the hub replaced though.

Has anyone got one please? It has to be an ABS hub, preferably with the ABS sensor and loom still in place/disconnected correctly and [-o< working. If the ABS bits are knackered then Rob will have a go at angle-grinding mine off the old hub and if that doesn't work then at least the MOT is new and I have a year to sort that out ...
PM sent \:D/

Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Caffiend wrote: Rob will have a go at angle-grinding mine off the old hub
Dont take an angle grinder any where near it, too much heat and the plastic ABS sensor housing becomes useless. I've had a few examples of this in the past!

I will have a hub, no sensor, if you can't find one closer!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I have a complete front hub assembly of a TZD with ABS in the shed at home Sandre and as you will be there tomorrow anyway.....if its the right one.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

What a pain. I had exactly the same thing once, a distorted front hub from wheel bearing changes.

But I put it back in a press and bent it straight again checking with a straight edge across the caliper mounting holes without too much difficulty.
But it looks like you've got several options for an easy replacement.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

A replacement leg left TL Darby VW 2 hours ago and is heading down the M1 right now!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Jaba wrote:What a pain. I had exactly the same thing once, a distorted front hub from wheel bearing changes.

But I put it back in a press and bent it straight again checking with a straight edge across the caliper mounting holes without too much difficulty.
Interesting, what are the symptoms of a bent hub? And what exactly was bent?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I don't know exactly what was bent, the symptom was the sliders on the caliper failing, resulting in brakes binding on.

Thanks again Tim xx
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

BX Bandit wrote:
Jaba wrote:What a pain. I had exactly the same thing once, a distorted front hub from wheel bearing changes.

Interesting, what are the symptoms of a bent hub? And what exactly was bent?
I suspect it's where a lot of people rest the hub on the caliper mounts in the press when shoving the bearings in. I suppose it'is possible to bend the mounts and put the caliper out of whack. Can't say i've seen/done it but still possible.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Yeah good call mate, hadn't thought of it that way, it's a hefty lump to bend but the caliper mounts are the thinnest bits I guess.
1990 BX TGD White
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

looks like I dodged a bullet when I changed a wheel bearing on Timex this summer then - never even thought that could be an issue. On the other hand, by using a vice and an assortment of sockets I probably had less pressure available to damage it with.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I bought a six tonne hyd press off eBay (think was Indian manufactured) but it has proven to be one of the best tools I've bought. Useful for so many things but bearings are done in a fraction if the time and with virtually no swearing. Well worth the £80 or so price tag
1990 BX TGD White
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'm old school - I want a fly press!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!