BX excess, can it be a success?

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: BX excess, can it be a success?

Post by Thread Bear »

From memory the two pinstrips on the horizontal waistline are two differing colours. Red and dark grey? It has differing seats to what I remember as 'the other' seat to the TZD etc. No electric windows and simple trim level. It came with the comment that the V5 was the wrong model designation. The sunroof has a sort of swelling in the body-line to the rear. So I could believe factory fitted, but still nasty.

Chassis VF7XBER0002ER****
Engine number 270647
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The leader had the standard BX seats but with no tilt operation or map pockets, the door panels were grey vinyl.

The glass sunroof seemed to be fitted on Mk2 models, which was part of the leader extras that the standard 14E didnt have.

http://www.citrina.lt/modeliai/BX/Leade ... jesnio.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

But does it have a rear wash wipe?. If I remember correctly my RE definitely had one but no sunroof. It would appear that Leaders were available with the 150 engine but LHD only. By the time it got to the UK with RHD it had the TU engine. The base 14 originally had no rear wipe, bit of a pain, though I don't think it was sold in the UK.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The leader model was available in a Mk1 and Mk2 version, all Mk1 had the 150 engine as did early Mk2 until about 1988.

The Leader was based on the 14E which is the model below the RE which had 4 wheels, and engine and not a fat lot else. You could get the BX 14 which had even less! , 4 gears, 62bhp engine, no wheel trims, 145 section tyres and I think no headrests.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Has front head rest but no bidet - trade slang for rear wash wipe. Might be a bottom level BX14 of some sort. While it comes with wheel trims its not fitted with any. It has very little in the way of extras.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes the 14E didnt have much, but the 14 had even less! rear wash wipes were only fitted to RE and above. I think the 14TE which was a facelifted "E" got the "bidet".

Some people say less is more!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Yeah, I always thought the RE was about as basic as you really wanted. It had enough to be comfortable with no excess. 5 gears with good ratios 72hp, 'bidet' and radio cassette so cheap that when it was broken into in Islington it was left behind :lol:

Odd that the Leader had sunroof but no bidet, still I remember surveys that said No 1 accessory/desire was for a sunroof. Personally I would rather the reverse, especially in our climate....
Poor old E64KLD scrapped for no money (you almost had to pay the scrappers at the time) with blown head gasket at only 175k. Nice white one too, less rusty than this poxy Athena chassis I have now.
Should have stripped loads out of it had I known. :D Had to get the seatbelts out though as 1st Athena failed MOT because of 2 bits of fluff on seatbelt (no holes or cuts)....one hell of a hard MOT tester because if you had loaded the webbing it would have been 99.9% of original strength at least. Have not used that place since.... :D
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I much prefer a sunroof, I have aircon in my Golf but never use it unless its baking hot, on Sunny days I like to me in the BX (or the Xantia or Sd1 which all have sliding sunroofs)with "roof" back getting a suntan on my receeding hairline and letting fresh air in. Also I find modern cars far too dark and austere, the TZI especially with its grey velour interior and glass panel is nice and light and airy.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Agree on the interior. I find my Athena too dark, the black is just oppressive. I think with grey trim but retaining the black seats it would have been OK. Partly down to the grey/green tint glaqss too. So different to the RE, with clear glass and grey trim, it was quite bright but not overly so. Even a hybrid grey main trim with black highlights like radio cover, little things like that. Too late to do a mock up for Citroen now... :lol:

Agree to disagree on the sunroof, much rather be rid of the thing, more roof space, no leaks, never use it, maybe that's why I still have a head full of hair... :D

Got a suntan sailing every day in that super hot week in July 13-18th at Hayling Island. 115 boats racing outside the harbour, amazing week for weather. Highlight was rounding 2nd one race with homemade boat and finished 7th that race. It was literally T shirt every day with loads of suntan lotion or you burn. Force 2-4 all week and the beach at Wittering was packed.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Some of the very late TGD cars had black dash, doorr panel vinyl but grey tweed seats and door card fabric which I though looked great, the australian high spec non sporting variety had a similar configuarion with grey seat fabric but the plastics themselves were black.

Being 5ft 9 theres plenty of space for me even with a roof, they do leak but rarely do my cars see rain so I dont worry....as for the receeding hairline, apparently that inherited from my grandad, and he never drove a car in his life.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I prefer a/c over a sunroof everyday of the week, less noise & you can actually get a temperature inside the car that you want.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

With the leak and noise from my 'lack' of door seal, a/c wouldn't work for me... :lol:

Even in Italy it wasn't bad without a/c, as long as you cover the steering wheel when parked in the sun.... :wink:
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

My big bugbear with the Estate is no sunroof. You can get a nice air flow with a sunroof and rear window.

Air con is not worth the hassle and expense unless your going to be sat in traffic in this country, in my opinion.

Back to sunroofs though. They need to be a powered one or a proper opening one, like a Webasto. These window in the roof jobs are nasty, they hardly let air in and they always end up leaking. Its a cheap marketing tool or an ill judge extra. It ruins the strength of the shell and motor sport will avoid them like the plague. I was offered an absolutely stunning Maxi with no miles, tuned engine and perfect shell. The guy got really frustrated as I would only go to scrap value. The shell was useless for the rallies the car was capable of entering as it had one of these crappy sunroofs in it. He ended up taking the engine apart for some strange reason and made the car practically valueless by messing about with things. Now if it had no sunroof I had a buyer with £5,000 waiting for it. Wealthy buyers get what they want and welding the roof up will not wash. A wasted car.

So to recap. 3 BX with sunroof. 2 knackered, 1 working. It looks bad for sunroofs and longevity as all these a relatively low mile cars. Maybe the EStates are better off without?

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I use the AC more often in the colder months bizarrely - it demists the whole car very quickly by drying out the incoming air. But I'd still like a sunroof as well for those rare days when the sun is shining and you want to pretend you have a convertible... The drawbacks do put me off, otherwise I'd have cut one in by now; as it is I'm still pondering. OK, it would devalue it but as I'm not intending to sell it's of little consequence.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Could you drop in a standard bx one mate? The roof linings are different aren't they?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue