BX16 TGS saloon for sale (pictures added)

Advertise your car for sale here. No parts or eBay spots in here please.
Braidy
Confirmed BX'er

BX16 TGS saloon for sale (pictures added)

Post by Braidy »

Well, probably. I've taken the plunge on a vintage C15 and if I get on with it I shall be selling my lovely BX. Picking up the C15 on Sunday so by Monday will know if the BX is definitely and sadly being sold. I'll add pictures after the weekend when I have a bit of time.

It is white, G reg ('90), petrol variant and done around 59000 miles. I've had it 4 years and 4 months. Never let me down. 3 previous owners to me but one of those was a guy who bought it to put into storage and bring it out when it was worth tons of money! MOT is due at the end of the month so I'll put a full 12 months on it.

Condition is great for a car that is used daily. Still catch myself admiring it in shop front reflections etc. Worse thing is where the drivers lock was broken into.

No qualms about putting it on ebay but thought I'd give first refusal here. I've bought the C15 for £670 so I'd love to get as close to that as possible. Pictures soon.
Last edited by Braidy on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: BX16 TGS saloon for sale

Post by Dollywobbler »

Gosh. Lots of BX temptation out there!
Braidy
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Braidy »

So the C15 is noisy, diesely, suspension is rubbish, driving position is rubbish, steering is hard work, interior is ugly, fuel gauge doesn't work, can't lock the back door, it has the wrong steering wheel and seats, its done a stratospheric number of miles and I love it. So the BX is definitely being sold (sad face). I shall get it valeted this afternoon and do pics. Booked in for a fresh MOT next week. Don't expect it to get much interest here as it's a low spec but if someone is interested give me a shout.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Does it have power steering?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Braidy
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Braidy »

C15 definitely has no power steering. Neither does the BX but is as light as a feather in comparison. I've never had any problem with the lack of power steering. You only ever think about it, imo, when you're trying to get into or out of a tight parking space.
Braidy
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Braidy »

Braidy
Confirmed BX'er

Re: BX16 TGS saloon for sale (pictures added)

Post by Braidy »

You can see from the pictures the main area of concern. Other than that and the drivers door lock it still looks lovely. From cold it can take a few hundred yards to be happy (just needs a few higher revs) but after that it's very smooth. If anyone is interested please come and view the car and get a test drive. There are small light scratches as you'd expect that the pictures don't show up. Less than 59000 miles. 12 months MOT after the 16th. Tax runs out October 31st. Will go on ebay very, very soon. £650.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Most carb fed petrols are grumpy from cold, I've always let mine idle for a minute or so before I set off and then all is well, "just part of the experience"

Nice looking car but that door shut will need welding but they are easily sorted, that spoiler looks great and lovely mileage.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

yes a nice example but have to agree with tim those door shuts will need some work, that does look particularly nasty, nice miles too, arent 16's a bit slower to shift than say, t/d's or gti's, been a fair few tidy 16's f/s of late.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

16's have normally been the "lame duck" of the BX brigade, but they are underated and of course decent examples of any derivative are getting hard to find. Smoother and faster than a 1.9D but of course a bit more juicy, tax and insurance is exactly the same though.

My mint 16TRS fetched £2000 this year, so if you could buy this for £600 you have alot of extra money to spend getting it "right"

16TGS/TZS models are now in very short numbers as most people had the 1.9D as a company car when new.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Braidy wrote:So the C15 is noisy, diesely, suspension is rubbish, driving position is rubbish, steering is hard work, interior is ugly, fuel gauge doesn't work, can't lock the back door, it has the wrong steering wheel and seats, its done a stratospheric number of miles and I love it. So the BX is definitely being sold (sad face). I shall get it valeted this afternoon and do pics. Booked in for a fresh MOT next week. Don't expect it to get much interest here as it's a low spec but if someone is interested give me a shout.
had a c15 myself some years ago 1995/7 with a 150c (1360cc) petrol engine and an off spec single rear door, 3 stud wheels, agreed with all the above esp the driving position, i fitted bx seats in mine and moved the rails back a few inches (and the bulkhead) and fitted a steering wheel from a 205?? made a big difference, fuel gauge worked in mine, but none of the dash lights, and speedo read 80mph at about 50. in 3 years only suffered a broken gear linkage, brake servo and clutch, was a great little van tho and surprising what it will carry. i used to run a fleet of c15's at a courier company in the early 90's and they proved to be one of the cheapest to run and maintain and certainly proved more reliable than the previous ford fiesta/courier vans we ran. some of our c15's clocking up 100k a year and most of them achieving 300k ish, you cant get a more basic van than a c15 which is less to go wrong. rear arms do fail but same as a bx repair kit.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Braidy
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Braidy »

rutter123 wrote: had a c15 myself some years ago 1995/7 with a 150c (1360cc) petrol engine and an off spec single rear door, 3 stud wheels, agreed with all the above esp the driving position, i fitted bx seats in mine and moved the rails back a few inches (and the bulkhead) and fitted a steering wheel from a 205?? made a big difference, fuel gauge worked in mine, but none of the dash lights, and speedo read 80mph at about 50. in 3 years only suffered a broken gear linkage, brake servo and clutch, was a great little van tho and surprising what it will carry. i used to run a fleet of c15's at a courier company in the early 90's and they proved to be one of the cheapest to run and maintain and certainly proved more reliable than the previous ford fiesta/courier vans we ran. some of our c15's clocking up 100k a year and most of them achieving 300k ish, you cant get a more basic van than a c15 which is less to go wrong. rear arms do fail but same as a bx repair kit.
I'm trying to get the original steering wheel and seats back into it, if I can. Hoping the original owner still has them. Like an idiot I'd prefer for it to be original and uncomfortable than take the sensible route above.

I've always thought that the BX could easily be made to look really nice but as a daily drive I never got round to it and, of course, I now have the gold BX to look at and admire. The guy that has always looked after the Citroens my family has owned over the years swore by the 16 being the best BX. It can do surprisingly good mileage on a long motorway run.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Quite agree, the 16 is still frugal, 40+MPG is easily acheived on a good run.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I love 16's - a very underrated car IMHO and that one is particularly nice. That door-shut will need some serious work to put straight though, but the possibility of a low-mileage, really straight BX for not too much money still makes it an attractive proposition I think.
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Paul296 wrote:I love 16's - a very underrated car IMHO and that one is particularly nice. That door-shut will need some serious work to put straight though, but the possibility of a low-mileage, really straight BX for not too much money still makes it an attractive proposition I think.
..that_ I really like it too, and I agree with Paul. However, I've seen enough rust on a BX to last me a lifetime and inevitably you'd have to question what's hiding inside the rear wings. Having said that, it would be a great resto project for someone.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987