Compression tester for diesel wanted for hire

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Compression tester for diesel wanted for hire

Post by BX Bandit »

As above really, does anyone have a diesel compression tester for hire please?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
themildbunch
BXpert

Re: Compression tester for diesel wanted for hire

Post by themildbunch »

ha - sounds like bad news??

I bought a cheap eBay one that seems to work ok after by TD ran away... proved no 4. was way down on compression. It has several adapters for glowplugs / injectors etc..
you're welcome to borrow it if you're up this way again or pay for postage...
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

They are indeed available cheaply. I used to have a set but alas no more.

This will do you:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180774293080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have zero patience for your tedium.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Thanks chaps, I had pondered buying one but they come out about the same as a head gasket and set of bolts so I may as well just swap the heads. Or, swap the engines complete but that's extra arse ache
1990 BX TGD White
bravo-x-ray
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bravo-x-ray »

to a fellow club member you can have a shot of my diesel compression tester for free on two conditions
1. a deposit enough to buy me a new one, and I'd refund you the complete deposit when you return it
2. You pay both legs of the postage - ie you book the courier to collect it from me and to return it to me
Formerly known on here as The Death Wolf many (howled at) moons ago....
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

That's a fair a kind offer mate, I really appreciate that. I've decided to take bx for mot as she is to see if she passes, I'm not sure if it's compression or air getting into the pump that's giving me the issue, so I won't know what I need to do for at least 5 days.
Assuming I do need to borrow it, how many days notice for you to get it ready for collection by courier? Also, how much deposit would you want and how would you want it paid?
1990 BX TGD White
bravo-x-ray
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bravo-x-ray »

I am sorry its taken me so long tot get back to you but I never got an email notification(?) I paid £170 for it, so pay me that and organise the courier or call it £180 including postage if I organise it for you and say three days notice for courier as quite alot of the time I am away from home (on oil rigs) so it would be Mrs Jay that would have to go into the workshop, find it, package it and post it, as well as looking after a household and our two cute children creating compound complex cataclysmic chaos.

I'm guesing the car has been up for test now - how did she fair?

FWIW my valver is sick :-( it running warm and I dont know why :-( so I've ordered a new water pump thermostat and radiator for her and will be fitting them when I get back. This will sound stupid but I had just but xenons in my morettes and was really looking forward to driving the marmary glands off her in the dark but then she got sick with her fever.
Formerly known on here as The Death Wolf many (howled at) moons ago....
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

No problem bxr, I think you only get an email if you actually subscribe to the topic. She did pass, just yesterday and it would seem the compression is ok, the white smoke being either down to old fuel or just needing a run to perhaps get rid of air in the pump.
Thanks again for your offer, I thought it very fair, that's a pricey bit of kit!

Sorry to hear about the 16v, have you felt the whole area of the rad, could be partially blocked with sediment? Worth testing before removal as another part of the jigsaw puzzle?
1990 BX TGD White