PART WANTED!! Rear Hydraulic Cylinder.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Re: PART WANTED!! Rear Hydraulic Cylinder.

Post by ken newbold »

Good point, I hadn't thought of that, been a while since I've done one, but I do have some pipe and the tool to make off the ends so that part shouldn't be a problem.
I need to check on the cylinders I have to see if the boots are any good.
They think it's all over, it is now!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

One of the things that does put me off internet forums, you try to help people and they don't even have the manners to reply.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Probably realised they don't actually need that part anymore & then don't come back onto the forum for a while :(

I may be interested in any parts you may have knocking about, will you be going to Wetherby?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Hi Matthew, not planning to, but if I have nowt to do, I could go on the Saturday for an hour.
When is it by the way?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It's the weekend of the 18th May, I'll be along at some point on the Saturday so hopefully will see you if you make it. I might be interested in bits too but I'd better let Mulley have first dibs...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
James Lee

Post by James Lee »

:oops: Sorry.....im not usually the bad mannered type, ive just had too much on my plate, hands up - i do apologise. The bx does still need an hydraulic cylinder replacement but have also since come across an oil sump leak as well. I really do need a more reliable car for work, hence the reason on making a decision on letting the bx go. I do love bx's but unfortunately i only have the space for one car (resident carpark) :roll:

I was under instructions to 'get rid' (scrap) by the in-laws who have bought another motor for me, but i know that the bx is waaaaaay to good to scrap. I know i hav'nt owned her long but needs are a must. Will be put on ebay soon as a short term listing.

Just want to say a big thank you for all your help and kind offerings. At least i have learnt something related to the suspension cylinder topic and that of other new members may also?

Thanks, Regards James.
Black - Citroen BX17 TZD
James Lee

Post by James Lee »

had to scrap im afraid :( I dismantled all major parts i could of possibly of done so. The guy's at scrap yard had face's like children on Christmas day. Got a good price so happy :)
Black - Citroen BX17 TZD
Pogo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Pogo »

Having learned a bit about rear cylinders I bought a second hand one off ebay.
Looks OK now I have got the remains of the snapped union out (drilled out and cleaned thread with a tap)
It's not rusted inside and the boot seems good.
Are the internal Hydraulic seals still available, as it would make sense to replace before fitting it (as and when I need one)
Will need to check also if it's a 37 or 35mm one from a hatch or estate.
Incidentally, the unions on the BX are the same size as 2cv/Dyane.
1990 Black BX GTI
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

If you look back at my postings, I had a major problem with a rear ram blowing out this summer. Having replaced it with one of our scrappy ones, the replacement started to leak when it settles down, leaving a puddle overnight. I did some digging and it seemed to be that a) new ones are not available, b) seals are not available. Ours are estates so have the 37mm seals. No one here commented at the time but it seems to me to be a potential BIG problem. Even if you don't care about it, the MOT man will.
Thanks to Citronut's researches I was able to get the part no's for the Xantia 37mm seals and ordered a set. Mixed fortunes here - the round seals look the business but the other seal with the nylon ring (which I suspect is the culprit) is thinner than the BX. It is therefore going to float a bit and I wonder if it would work.....

This weekend I'm getting a spare 35mm ram and will fit this in place of the faulty one. No-one has said that this shouldn't be done and an old BX mechanic told me I wouldn't notice any difference. The options then are a) assuming there is a visible failure in the 37mm seals I can re-use the seals out of the old ram, b) try the Xantia ones and see what happens, c) stick the thing on the shelf and run with the 35mm one until something else goes wrong down there.
Also, bad news on the welding front. I took both old rams to an ally welder and although he gave it a go he reckoned the honeycombing under the surface was too severe and there wasn't enough decent meat left to weld to.
CGATCX25GTITURBO
BXpert

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

just buy some round bar and get a batch machined? :)
missing my 1992 BX19TGD
1987 BX19 GTI 8)
CX25 GTI TURBO CGAT 86 CGAT :twisted:
19TD temp 2 Xantia estate :)
600 Bandit 97 :)
ZX12R 00 :evil: