Spray bar replacement - windscreen washer

Anything about BXs
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Spray bar replacement - windscreen washer

Post by BX Bandit »

As much as I like things standard, throught my years of bx ownership, I probably have to de-coke the inside of the windscreen wiper 'pivot' every couple of years or so and I've also found the spray pattern rather lack lustre.

I could, I think, replace the core of the pivot with a copper or plastic tube, ( is there a copper one in there normally, there is on my current td) so it won't rust, and as I rarely use the rear wash, I could easily have both bottles and motors feeding the windscreen, thus hopefully solving my issues.

But of course, the other option is spray jets, but I just don't think any bx will look right with washer jets, unless it could hide them in the vent scuttle thing just in front of the windscreen.

Any one got jets on their bx?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
David
BXpert

Re: Spray bar replacement - windscreen washer

Post by David »

Hi, I was fed up of the bar blocking up on my BX, So I got 2 washer jets off a Fiat Punto & fitted them in to the panel just behind the bonnet, all they needed was a lug cutting off & they push in without any problems.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

my valver ( ex Jays) had them at the back of the bonnet , much better set up and infinitely adjustable
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I remember it Suggs, I was hoping to find a solution that wouldn't involve bonnet drilling and having minimal visual impact.
Do you have pics David? So they fitted in the vent scuttle under the windscreen? What 'vintage' of Punto?
1990 BX TGD White
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Have a look here what Paul did with aubergine

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... &start=135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the unobtrusive option would be a squezzy washingup liquid bottle at hands reach just under the front of the drivers seat,
just grab it and squirt the screen when required :twisted: :roll: :rofl: :wink:

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

BX Bandit wrote:As much as I like things standard, throught my years of bx ownership, I probably have to de-coke the inside of the windscreen wiper 'pivot' every couple of years or so and I've also found the spray pattern rather lack lustre.

I could, I think, replace the core of the pivot with a copper or plastic tube
Bandit, I'm not sure what method of decoke you use but I cured mine several years ago by just drilling through the boss, slightly enlarging the bore. It's been good ever since. I still have to clean the spraybar every year but that's quite quick and easy with a suitable length of tinned copper wire.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

On Timex the spindle was fine but the spraybar knackered. I've fitted a Merc Sprinter jet onto the wiper arm which seems to work ok.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

could hide them in the vent scuttle thing just in front of the windscreen.
That's where they are on MK2 Granadas and it's a very neat solution. The jets are made of brass tube which is crimped at one end to produce 2 jets either side of the crimp. If they block they can be drilled with a 0.8mm drill.

None on eBay at the moment - RS2000 / Mexico are similar construction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Wash ... _212wt_725

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina- ... t_77wt_962
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
David
BXpert

Post by David »

BX Bandit wrote:I remember it Suggs, I was hoping to find a solution that wouldn't involve bonnet drilling and having minimal visual impact.
Do you have pics David? So they fitted in the vent scuttle under the windscreen? What 'vintage' of Punto?
Hi, I have just uploaded some pictures in another thread "new member with little niggles".
If you look at the front of the car they can (Just) be seen, It didn't take any modifying of the car itself, just the actual jets I acquired.

They were out of a MK1 Punto & I haven't had any trouble with mine since.
If you pull the tubes & splitter block of the donor car as well it just plugs in to your existing pipework without having to mess with anything else.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Thanks for replies all. I've drilled through mine in the past but it always get bunged up with corrosion. I'm not sure if they ever lined the hole with anything but currently my tgd has a copper tube through it. Those Grandad ones look the real McCoy mind and I see what you mean in that they can be constructed so that stay hidden, hmm, I wonder if that could be a diy job?
1990 BX TGD White
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Those Grandad ones look the real McCoy mind and I see what you mean in that they can be constructed so that stay hidden, hmm, I wonder if that could be a diy job?
The tag with the mounting hole is just soldered or brazed onto the brass tube so the position of that could be changed or it could be removed and another method of mounting used such as a clamp arrangement. The tube itself is not particularly flexible so best to try and mount it "as is" rather than relying on bending it to get it to the right place.

I thought of fitting some to the BX (but then I also thought about fitting twin wipers :oops: but that was before I discovered that the Valeo blade did such an excellent job :D ).
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Forming the ends could be tricky, although I thought about squeezing some brass tube in a vice to create a flat spray pattern rather than two jets, but I think the brass may crack. Possibly, I could use the 3.5mm cupro nickel tubing as I think it's more malleable and easier to form, I can flare the ends to secure rubber pipe and it's easy to bend, meaning directing and positioning the jets wouldn't be too tricky...
1990 BX TGD White
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

BX Bandit wrote:Forming the ends could be tricky, although I thought about squeezing some brass tube in a vice to create a flat spray pattern rather than two jets, ...

squeezing the brass tube with a pair of side snips in the centre of the tube should close up the middle of the tube and leave 2 round holes either side?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Have a look at these brass Lotus type ones part no. A050M6198Z ?

http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php ... ponent=160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202