BX excess, can it be a success?

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Re: BX excess, can it be a success?

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thread Bear wrote:I wonder what is the most overloaded a BX has been.
I was in a scrapyard once where a car had been stacked on top of a BX. For no other reason than pure curiosity, I brought in a battery and started it, just to see whether it would rise. It did!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I've shifted close on 2,000 full size bricks, 250 at a time in the hatch..... Density 2.5 x brick (75x225x62)... Interesting at 60mph. I do not recommend more with this load on board, it gets very light on the front.. :lol: and I had them very evenly spread including passenger footwell.
Probably should have borrowed a trailer as well but my one is for dinghies so no good for bricks.

You'll be needing a glass of TEA after that TB, my local brew from the Hogs Back Brewery at Tongham. Uses local Hogs Back hops, well recommended.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Well we still could do a Belgium Beer Bash. Out of season, not to dear, and so many to choose from plus Brugges and Spa Frumplychumps.

Making do with Bank's from Lidl at the moment, as yet to earn a reward because.

Gary X still needs the pump removed from the other car fitted. Trouble is I keep needing to be somewhere and cannot have a disabled car if things go pear shaped. Might get it sorted today but need to be mobile this evening. To many simple jobs have not been just recently.

The other TZD 1.7 Turbo Estate ABS needs the engine out to remove the ends of the sheared mounting bolts. To be honest I think this pushes the car beyond anyone wanting to put it back to the road. Needs engine out, fault finding from ownership/bought in maintenance of a pratt. New cam-belt and pump. Exhaust system, Speedo cable, LHM pump, Brake service and pads at least, Welding in the rear in normal places, tyres and no doubt some unknown faults. It was a driver on arrival despite the engine falling out! I am not even going to think of engine out until after winter so it starts to look like a spares resource, which is a shame as it is savable. That said the repaired engine can find its way into my Wolesely 4/44 diesel conversion idea and I get to have a spare set of pipes as some of these are new, along with all the other bits. Might need the market to make the choice as I still see £200 there in parts potential. If were anything other than a Turbo it probably would not be worth considering.

No move on Homer as yet. Got to many other tasks on.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Pigging rain. What with that, and full steam ahead on building the inside of the house, and clearing dead Invalid Carriages from the driveway in the way, the BX has been ignored, despite many minor things that should be done.

Tyres. Oh no, you all say. With the worse weather I can report that the 165's are inadequate for Gary, possibly due to my driving style. They are pretty noisy as well. Might be OK for snow work but not much cop belting over the wet Cotswolds at 12 at night. Had a few 'moments'. Need to sort out the Pirellis and see how that works in these conditions.

Gary X ran us up to South Normington for a meeting the other weekend. This to discuss my idea for the 40th anniversary run for the National Microcar Rally through the Cotswolds to the Cotswold Wildlife Park where the whole Microcar thing really became a unified movement over some 10 events before moving round other venues. I missed the first two, God that makes me feel old! This route is some 65 to 85 miles depending on route and takes in some of the most beautiful countryside in Central Britain. Interest but they, the NMCR Committee post rally meeting, were not falling over themselves to help me get it off the ground.

It struck me that while Citroens have little to do with the cause of the event the campsite and route might appeal for a road run for Citroens. Having done the legwork, a repeat for a different lot of folk is not a huge amount of work. Might tweak it to suit, dropping less pertinent stops for a brewery visit or something.

Anyway Gary conveyed in great comfort up the M1 and back via M42 and Coventry, Southam, Chippy and Burford to go across rather than with the London bound nutters on Sunday evening. Its tedious traffic and they frighten the willies out of me with their erratic driving. Only one death threat, so not to bad. Worst driving was traffic light jumping Land Rover with caravan 300 yards from home! I refused to give way and squeezed him out of lane. Old tatty car beats expensive car despite a lack of weight advantage. Cheer from behind.
My bud who scrounged a lift was a little taken aback as I do not go fast on the motorways but go little slower on the ordinary roads and I know this root well. Economy was spectacular, the old chap is working well now, just little in the way of driver aids like heater, dash lights, reversing lights and so forth. Only interesting car seen was a ZX/XM Estate heading north who gave us a hard stare overtaking, apparently. I was busy driving so it had gone before I could really take in what it was.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

A BX camping weekend sounds good - we've had a couple of tech weekends, the first of which I managed to get to, which seemed popular, and there has been discussion about a more social weekend, although nothing has come of it yet.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Well I have heard sod all back from Lincolnshire and the Cotswolds is my back yard, so a lot simpler. I noticed the CCC has no rep for the South, but I am not really South. I am South Midlands or something. Anyway no disrespect to my Southern Coast chums, but I am not really down that way much these days. Used to be near Alton every other week in the Messerschmitt and Pompy/Southampton at least once a month. I am more Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire with a tad of Warks and Bucks more than Hants, these days. Besides to busy to take on to much at the moment and now likely for longer.

Bummer major is next door got Planning for a pair of semi rat boxes on their Paddock, which I wanted to buy. If I sense correctly four more will be applied for to the rear, surrounding me. Goodbye piece and quiet bought into! Would have been a great camp site for buds and for playing cars etc. Up side Planners cannot really stop me putting in for a major bit of construction having bent the rules to build on the Paddock. So 1,100 sq ft crappo house could become a 2,750 sq ft ponceville. Trouble is I would have to move again as I cannot afford a house like that, having built it! A tad large for a single person too. So got to put in plans I guess, but I did not not really want to move again. Bother!

Up side two. Now no Paddock I can attempt to buy the 2.5 Km of disused canal down the road as amenity land, if its brown field value. Fancied this for a while as it will coppice into a energy resource, nature haven and private path. It is also a special area being that the canal is cut into Kimmeridge clay, which is what they use to line canals to make them waterproof. So relatively easy to put back into water. Clearly to undertake that it needs a narrow gauge railway to move the poop, I think. Great scope for buddies to play silly buggers in the country while away from strict wives. Pub is within walking distance, well until the railway is built!
Note to self. Do not do what mad farming Welsh Uncle did. Not measure depth of pool prior to filling it. He blew up part of a mountain above Barmouth with an EEC grant. Well its rude not to! However they needed to estimate its volume for payment to claim the dosh. Darn, forgot about that. Long poll to dip in and not finding bottom he followed it in head first in his tweeds. Under water poll vaulting. On the second rising he shouted at his sheep dog to go and get help as he could not swim. It was not Lassie. He darned nearly drowned himself in his home made pond and had to go to hospital for water ingestion. I promise you, I am one of the sensible ones in our family.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

At last some dry weather.

So to resolve electrical faults, if possible, without data. Pulling apart the indicator wiring I found a crimped bit of wire that was responsible for erratic N/S flashing. Not sure how this had happened, but as a temporary fix I have bypassed the ribbon till I can find a replacement. This had driven me nuts, as I had assumed it was dodgy bulbs or earth. So finding a real fault is much of the battle.

The brake light circuit was cleaned up and should be reliable. I feel it has not been as I have had several folk get very close and then flash.

The reversing lights have defeated me till I know where the switch is. Unless it is the damaged ribbon again but seems no current there.

By now it was clear that the electric connections on this car are not good. So most accessible connectors were pulled and cleaned.

Then onto the heater. This had nothing working. I found a good item on this on the BX DIY site. Well I thought it was till I tried it. Didn't make sense to me. Number 3 connection. Number three from where. Why not quote the contact number/colour. Oh well at least it gave some notion as to how the thing works.

In doing this I had the steering column cover off and checked the lighting rheostat. Nothing wrong with it but no lights beyond.

Back to heating. The first relay, by the steering, seemed to be dead. Opened it up. No, do not understand what is in that one. So hold that over till I find another.

Up with the bonnet and off with the blower motor feed. Wired to the battery via a circuit tester it was not looking as if it had integrity of a completely good commutator. No harm in trying current through it, as it was free turning by hand. It wheezed and staggered. Not much cop then. It might service, so I put it on one side. Fortunately Jaba had supplied me with a complete spare sub assembly, and coached removal, so changing this was not a great issue. In doing this I cleaned out the grass growing in the moss on the soil either side of the wiper spindle!

A good clean-out completed by a needed removal of the rear washer bottle to look at the ill famed rust trap. Thanks be, as Gary was resplendent in purest white paint. There is a small amount of surface rust just below the screen. So a job to nip that in the bud to be done. After others horror stories I feel lucky.

The replacement blower motor put in, I tried the system out. A forlorn hope, met with inaction. However we now know the business end is ready to work. So it was really time to get the heater controls off. Here I met a technical problem. My dog, Tinks, had destroyed my hand written notes larking about. However I have half done the job, and failing a full renovation I can hot-wire the blower if needs be. Winter driving without a blower is most frustrating.

Later as it got dark it was off to the Aldi for the Shop. Despite not blowing there was considerably more heat passing out of the heater. So have those pesky mice bunged up the old blower assembly?

Anyway some swatting to do on the remaining electrical systems. Be nice to get the heater working off the proper knobs. Reverse lights could be adjustment or contact issue. Eventual the dash has to come off as I need to find out why the speedo does not work , no rev counter nor dash lights either. THe binnicle is being swapped for a modified one. None of that stops me driving though.

I also used the dry weather to free off two more of the dead Invalid Carriages to get them out of the drive. Each wheel off, drum off, Shoes out, reassemble. No drum puller facility, but beat the thing, and then cold chisel up the 'arris and most move. These two were the cars that did not let go the drums. Turned one over to get a good larrup on to the drums as taping was not helping. That did the trick. Several have had to have the drive removed too. One of these did. Time consuming task, but not particularly difficult. Only one car to go, which I might get done today, as its marooned on the lawn at the moment and needs help to get on the concrete. Be good to have these out of the way, rolled on there own wheels, into the rear garden and clear the way into the garage.

Considering these IC had been in a small bog for 30 years their survival is remarkable. Two have collapsed and another two are beyond restoration. Not one is whole but I think from 12 cars there will be 7 survivors. It is hoped 4 sets of body-shells will be reprocessed via a static display requirement and a fellow enthusiast who has three bodiless powered chassis of a slightly different model IC.

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

It is a tricky one without a blower. I had the rheostat (behind the control knobs) go on the 14 and had to just wait til it was warm and the airflow from moving would demist and heat car. Bypass the rheostat if you can, mind you it will be full on or nothing. It is also possible to get parts of the rheostat not working like my current car so it only works at certain angles of the knob. Might still be the relay(s) that Mat has detailed.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Quick points as posting from my phone. If no blow at all, it won't be a relay problem. No. 3 terminal refers to the small 3 moulded into the plastic connector to the heater dial pcb. There are 3 green wires and 2 Brown so just giving colours could be unclear. 5 terminals so doesn't matter which end you count from!

Reversing light switch on front face of gearbox. Also could be last terminal on 7 way connector above gearbox, or first, depending on which way you look at it!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Ah. Then I am reading the page incorrectly. Have not got into it yet. Life got in the way yesterday, as it does. Got a spare steering column relay and one chance of a heater control set up to nick stuff off. Need to track the current to find the fault really. Printed of data again.

A full on blower, or off, is better than no blower at all. I wondered if a light dimer switch would take the currant relay if needed. I have a spare and unused hole that would take it. In my bits - packed - I will have various rheostat switches which could offer some control exclusive of the dash switch. The issue is current which will be why there are relays I guess.

Bit of steering wobble coming in. I suspect a ball joint as none have been done and they do seem to fall of regularly, especially if cheapo. Another task to check. Then again might be a wheel as have hit a few potholes.

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

A weird one is that the rotating part of the blower control (mid dash) can distort (the plastic part) and this can lead to no contact being made on the circuit board, the one behind the rotating knobs. The contact is not very well loaded and I have had one where if I pressed the white plastic part in the right place the metal contact would touch and it made the circuit. To 'cure' it a small piece of stuff was placed under the contact to give it a bit of extra pressure onto the board.

Probably only a temporary fix as the plastics strength had been somewhat lessened. I think my 'fix' lasted a couple of years before I had to change the board and roatator. If you can turn a bit of plastic you may be able to fabricate a stronger part but only if that is the problem.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

This heater thing is tuning into a hassle. Not least I cannot work out how the circuits work. It seems to complicated to do what it needs to do, yet I cannot see what else or what advantage there is in the apparently daft way its been laid out. If it does not fix soon I fear the snippers will be out. Are multicoloured wires really so expensive by the mile? Modern cars do have this tendency to become ever more obscure and dependant on crap items like the rheostat on the BX. This basic item was much used, I think, so why not make it properly? So disheartening to work with. Its also rubbish design like this which sees me sell cars.

As therapy I bought another barn find Messerschmitt which has switches you can take apart and repair. An engine that starts backwards with a totally easy to follow diagnostic multicoloured or tagged wiring loom and matching diagram placed in the lid. Not refer to dealer (ie Manufacturer cop out - as we do not know how it works either, but you can pay for us to find out). This in a car designed to be cheap. '50's technology might be old fashioned but a lot of it is designed to last the tests of time.

My friends nearly new Pug has finally been diagnosed with a duff fuel gauge after conking out several times, twice nearly creating a killing crash on multilane roads at junctions. This after most of the fuel system has been changed as nothing is demountable, adjustable or diagnosable. The fuel gauge is part of a module costing the gross national product of the Isle of Wight and then the car has to be reprogrammed. I asked why it could not just be reprogrammed to allow for the gauge. The whole department gapped at me at such an extraordinary idea. Pillocks, that's what programming means. They mean insert existing programme, now known not to work. Well I would not drive the thing another mile. Its dangerous till proven otherwise! Yet apparently none of this is anyone's fault. I left telling my bud to get rid of the Pug and look for another make of car. Total crap.

Rant over. I am off to build a wall and take out an attic access. It beats TV and its therapy from a wasted day on the BX. MIght get the schmitt going. It has a heater that works and is not complex. You pull a bit of cable. Toastie. Simple 'innit!

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Jumping up and down in front of the BX waving wire cutters at it worked. After much cleaning of parts, testing of circuits as far as I could, I got involved with the Blower PCB board. Having broken one attempting to dismantle the plastic cover, which would give the appearance of coming off, but in this case resulted in the PCB board braking off, I had a unit to destroy. From there I could get a better idea of what it was all about and how to clean the other one. Placed back in circuit the system now worked. So I am not really certain what I fixed but I am not about to argue with the result. Last night's run to Evesham was completed bathed in as much heat as I wanted. Only taken about 6 months to get round to it.

Now to look at the reversing lights fully, with the advice of where to start. That should leave the dashboard/speedo for a fully functioning car at last.

Then to find time to swap the weeping front strut which is using about a litre of LHM in 3 weeks of motoring. Longer if less shorts, more longs as it leaks when completely collapsed down on pump up. There must be a poor section it has to pass to pump up or something. And the clutch continue to work, but to slip if I have a load. I fear I might have to live with this a bit longer as Homer needs to at least be made mobile to move houses. Those jobs would be a lot easier to do if Homer hit the road.

Likewise the dead Estate wants moving so a way of stabilising the engine is needed as there is no need to break anything else there. Those jobs need dry weather....yeah. In short supply at the moment. Still we progress slowly.

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thread Bear wrote:Now to look at the reversing lights fully, with the advice of where to start.
Check the switch (front of gearbox near clutch arm) by bridging it. If you check for voltage at the bulb, check both with and without bulb present. If you get ~12 V without bulb and bugger all with, there's a high resistance *somewhere* in the circuit. I've known the 7 way connector on top of the gearbox have high resistance corroded connections. Reversing light wire is one of the end ones.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Thanks. I am betting its more corroded contacts. High resistance coming in high on the tote, there. So out with the gubbins in the way and more fettling. This should be straight forward..... Actually I can redo the headlight aim while I am at it. Good job. One wonders where the car was kept to suffer such corrosion yet no body damage. Odd, but a good shell is clearly a better option as electrics are fixable even if they can drive you to distraction. Cup of coffee, try again.