Wind deflectors - which ones?

Anything about BXs
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Wind deflectors - which ones?

Post by BX Bandit »

Looking on eBay, there are Heko (or is it Henko?), Climair (expensive) and he ones sold by Micks Garage......make?
Does anyone have them fitted and which make have you got? Thoughts?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
really?
BXpert

Re: Wind deflectors - which ones?

Post by really? »

have a set of heko fronts on my estate, bought cheap second hand at a meet by my mum. have put a pair of climair ones on her estate. the climair seem a higher quality and cover a larger area than the heko ones, but both stop a lot of wind noise. havent had the climair ones on a long run at motorway speed, but they seem slightly quieter, hard to say. i would pay the extra for a replacement set of climair ones if i was buying new ones for my car. they look better to me.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

I've not got any experience of any other than the Climair ones but the ones I have seem good. Previously I couldn't drive with the window open as it was so windy— I have long hair. Now... I can drive with the windows open fully no problem and also open a little bit for ventilation without much noise.

The BX however let itself down in that the window winder attachment and window parted company due to the extra force required to open the windows now. Not that it's much extra mind you but more than my 30 year old friend could stand.

So be carefull on first install. I would suggest shutting the windows for a few days to let the window and deflector bed into the groove in the door. Just a guess, but it could help avoid what happened to me!
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Those climair ones look pretty good but at around £95 for all windows seems a bit steep... Climair also do sunroof deflectors for the BX too... probably cheaper than s/h genuine ones!

I did have a pair of genuine Citroen ones a while ago, they were huge and looked great but terrible fixing design, one fell off IIRC and the other got ripped off by vandals or at least it wasn't on the car in the morning!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

jamescarruthers wrote: The BX however let itself down in that the window winder attachment and window parted company due to the extra force required to open the windows now. Not that it's much extra mind you but more than my 30 year old friend could stand.

So be carefull on first install. I would suggest shutting the windows for a few days to let the window and deflector bed into the groove in the door. Just a guess, but it could help avoid what happened to me!
Thanks for the advice James, although I'm not 100% sure I understand what happened. Can you elaborate a bit for me mate?

Yes the Climair come in at about £45 just for the fronts, whereas the other variants are £20 less. It seems there is a preference for the Climair ones though. I can't recall which make was larger but I'd prefer the larger/deeper ones to have the window open that bit more......
1990 BX TGD White
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

So the window and new deflector are jammed up in the channel that only used to take the window— at the top of the door.

The force required to open the windows was quite large and the winder mechanism detached from the glass itself.

Does that make sense?

My mind was made up to buy Climair by a video on YouTube which was very likely made by Climair themselves about the quality of German DIN certified deflectors compared to cheaper ones.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Yes it does make sense now, thank you.
I can get the full Climair set for £76 inc delivery (£10!)
Having done brief research, people have had problems with henko ones, so Climair it is....
1990 BX TGD White
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Pics please when they've been fitted!

I'm thinking of a set for Mitch, although getting him running is a higher priority at the moment.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

My advice, from experience, is not to buy the ones from 'micks garage' on eBay as they don't actually have them for bx's. I ordered and paid, only to be refunded a few data later. Upon contacting them was told they were out of stock. I have checked with them several times since..... No stock at any point so far. A chancer who wouldn't know customer service if it bit him on the bum. In my opinion that is.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Good advice Stinky, i did ponder buying theirs at one point.
Mr C&C, I will when I've bought them, which now won't be till December at the soonest.
Actually, a friend of mine asked why I was getting them for the back, to which I had to answer that I wasn't really sure.
1990 BX TGD White
TheOtter

Post by TheOtter »

I've got Climair deflectors on mine, managed to buy them direct from Climair when they were massively discounted, which was nice! A smidge under £50 for the fronts and rears, I found I couldn't live without deflectors after having them on my first car (Mini).

They've been fine the whole time I've had them (only a couple of months), however fitting the front ones was a bit of a mission as I had to take the wing mirrors off (so door cards off) and file down the rear most corner of the mirror mount to give enough clearance for the deflector. Once I had the mirrors out of the way they went in okay, still a tight squeeze but then I'd rather it be like that so I know they're not going to fall out on me! Still, took me much longer than I initially expected to fit them - happy with them overall though.

Here, have some pics:

Oh and Bandit, the only reason I got the rears is for looks, I never have anyone in the back but I wanted the front and back doors to match :roll:
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Hey they look great! Thanks Otter, you have convinced me that I need a full set and they really do look the dogs danglies. Are they a particular shade? Can you describe more how you had to modify the door mirror please?
1990 BX TGD White
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

They look identical to the ones I've got on mine 8)

I too had a bit of an issue with fitting the front ones. Got the edge by the B pillar in, then the top edge along the roof line, down the A pillar and then that last edge down the back the the wing mirror. I had a small file and took just enough off the corner near where the wing mirror plastic meets the rubber weather strip on the door. Had to bend them into place but like Otter says, I know they wont fall out.
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Nice and deep too, the other makes seemed rather shallow in comparison. That is a lovely colour that Tizzy (that's the name of my dog!). I think that may well be my fave colour. Not seen any others in that shade! you need to get the top of your A pillar sorted out dude
1990 BX TGD White
TheOtter

Post by TheOtter »

I took a close of up the area and circled the corner of the mirror mount that needed to be filed down:

It's not too clear there but that corner is pressed up against the deflector with some force (you can sort of see the film of water on the pressure point). I should have filed down the mirror mount a bit more really, it needed quite a bit taking off as it is there.

Oh and they aren't any particular shade no, there was no option to pick when buying them so they're just normal smoked plastic.