Not a BX question, but perhaps you can help???

BX Tech talk
BackinaBX
BXpert

Not a BX question, but perhaps you can help???

Post by BackinaBX »

Hello again forum, this one is for all Xantia owners with a keypad alarm/immob.

My dad's Xantia had developed a problem. When you turn the key, both the green and red lights come light up on the keypad... putting in the correct code doesn't turn the alarm or the immobiliser off, and I can't start the car.

I tried disconnecting the battery to try and reset the system, but this only sets off the alarm... reconnecting the battery stops it, until you open the door, when the alarm goes off again.

With the battery connected, opening to door and setting the alarm off can sometimes be stopped by turning the ignition on and pressing the silence button, but not always. The key opperated switch under the bonet to silence the alarm seems to do absolutly bugger all.

The fact that the blipper hasn't worked in years doesn't help either, I guess.

Any ideas at all, anyone?
HELP!!!

Cheers,

P
"I'm not into art, I'm just a gun for hire" - Helmut Newton
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Have you tried opening the door and shutting it again once inside then waiting for a few minutes with the key in the ignition and without? I know it sounds mad but sometimes things like this can work as can turning the ignition on and off a few times in a row without keying the number in!
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Someone i know had this problem with his and it was a dodgy cable from the keypad to wherever it connects Hope this helps.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think you are more likely to find the answer here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/

There are quite a few alarm postings if you search.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I had a similar problem with a 1994 2.0VSX I had a year or so ago, the battery went dead, i replaced it and had no way to reset the alarm as there was no remote fob.

I tried to switch the alarm sounder off which worked (pulled the fuse), but everytime I opened the doors the healdights would flash on and off for a minute or so! Very annoying!, I took it to the citroen dealer who said the only way of fixing it was to order and recode a remote plip at about £80!

I sold the car when the heater matrix went aswell. If you hav ethe plip it may be worth trying to get it working.
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Thanks chaps for all this... I can get over the alarm going off all the time - pull the fuse.

All I need to do now is make the bugger start! Every forum I've gone to says 'oh yeah, I had that problem of both lights on at the same time', and yet no cure how to do it.

I am loath to pay a Citroen mech to come out and poke about with a screwdriver, becuase that alone will cost more than the car is worth!

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH CITROEN! MAKE YOUR ELECTRICS WORK!

Post by M »

BackinaBX wrote: All I need to do now is make the bugger start! Every forum I've gone to says 'oh yeah, I had that problem of both lights on at the same time', and yet no cure how to do it.
Commonly caused by a damp alarm ECU and crappy connectors - usually on this age of car under the passenger seat - remove squab, access ecu- make sure its not sat in a pudle of water, pull off connector, clean contacts reassemble. Richard Galagher covered this in some detail last year over on FCF and in the CCC magazine.

If you disconnect the keypad whilst it is immobilesed it will stay that way - however if you disconnect the keypad whilst the car is not immobilised you have effectivly removed the alarm / immobiliser from the car and it wont reactivate (until you reconnect it).

If you need to reset the keypad and have forgotten the code email me.
BackinaBX
BXpert

Post by BackinaBX »

Thanks for that info... this is just one of the many reasons I left the Xantia club and went to (says it quietly) Ford... until the central clocking went mad and kept unlocking the doors in supermarket carparks... hence going back in time when I found this BX... anyway.

So the ECU is under the passenger seat? And here's me digging around in the engine bay looking for the box. Well if Xantia's leak like BX do, then it's possible there's some water down there, especialy after all this heavy rain.

I still know the code. Everything was fine on Sunday, but he went to go out today and all this happened.

I'll have a look and report back on how I get on.

Thanks chaps.
BackinaBX
BXpert

Fixed it!

Post by BackinaBX »

Found the problem... a mouse obviously found the wiring loom a tasty treat, as the wires and rubber cap round the inertia cut off switch were nibbled. The little might has eaten through the wire... hence no inertia cut off, hence immobiliser no cut off.

Bypass switch with a crimp connector.

Away she goes.

Easy as that.

Back to finding the oil leak on the BX now.
Happy days.

Many thanks,
P
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Mmmm.......Mice in a Xantia :shock:

Luckily the BX just seems to suffer from spiders (webs) on the door mirrors :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto