New boy - first post

Anything about BXs
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

pitman wrote:I know a guy, who has even a second tank and a heater and the like in his car.
He never told anything about registering. :?:
You register directly with C&E. There's information on their website about doing this.

You have to return information to them monthly. It's intended to be a service used by companies, but there's nothing stopping an individual doing it.

The "guy" you refer to is running a very large risk, as if it's just a couple of litres of SVO in your tank, you *might* be able to argue it away, saying you used it as injector/fuel system cleaner to pass the MOT, and that you haven't put any more in since then.

If he has a complete twin-tank system with pre-heater and changeover, then it's obvious that he's running on the stuff as a fuel rather than an additive. Not registered? That'll be his car crushed then.
this might be a signature
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

DavidRutherford wrote: Not registered? That'll be his car crushed then.
I don't know if he's not registered. I only know that he didn't mention this explicitely, and me and also other people around didn't ask him.

Well, I found in the meantime also this Web site with the height of the tax on it. :shock:

http://www.rodbowen.co.uk/daniel/legality.htm

Will look at the C&E page right now.
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

pitman wrote:Well, I found in the meantime also this Web site with the height of the tax on it. :shock:

http://www.rodbowen.co.uk/daniel/legality.htm
Unfortunately, that's one of the worst and most inaccurate Veg oil sites there is! The level of duty he's quoted is actually incorrect.

This one's better:

http://www.bio-power.co.uk/
this might be a signature
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

From this page

Short link

you get the impression that the tax will eat up almost the whole price difference:

"We consider that the intention of the law is to give the reduced rate to fuel produced from vegetable oil and not to vegetable oil itself.

Therefore cooking oil on its own is a fuel substitute and attracts the sulphur-free duty rate which is currently 47.10 pence per litre."

Well, it looks like that in this case veg oil is not really a money saver but rather a fuel additive that makes run the engine smoother.

For me, the whole thing was not only driven by saving money but rather curiosity. It should have been also clean and easy, without converting anything, filtering substances and the like.

I already knew about people using their old engine oil or LHM after having changed it, well you would have to pay duty on that, too, :lol: , but I always feared to have to change the fuel filter then quite more often.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`d agree Pitman though if using used (therefore recycled) LHM for instance attracts the full rate of duty then it`s a joke and proves it`s not about recycling at all but greed.
Re-used chip fat is recycling and would appear to be cheaper on taxation than new cooking oil so why not used oil/LHM?
I have (in the past) used new vege oil with great results all round but I am going to at least attempt to make my own recycled fuel using waste cooking oil following the guidelines.
Vauxhall apologist.
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

Well, this Revenue & Customs Web page says that on lubricating oils (they don't state LHM 8) ) haven't paid fuel taxes, and if you use it as fuel ... THEY WANT THEIR FUEL TAXES.

I registered with those people five minutes ago, and they'll send me a leaflet and a EX 103 form etc., and let's see. :lol:

As I had the intention, not to run more then 30% veg oil, it looks like that I'll pay a few pounds monthly to them ... :lol: :lol:

Apart from hearing different opinions regarding Biodiesel, on my usual journeys I haven't seen a Biodiesel fuel station, so that seems not an option for me.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Cavmad to the rescue...................................... :lol:

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co. ... utlets.htm
Vauxhall apologist.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

cavmad wrote:Cavmad to the rescue...................................... :lol:

Mmm ](*,) None in this county or near adjacent. Just as well I don't need this stuff.
Whats the availability like on ethanol? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

My local sells it :wink:
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Balls to veg oil......get a valver :wink:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

Way2go wrote:
cavmad wrote:Cavmad to the rescue...................................... :lol:

Mmm ](*,) None in this county or near adjacent. Just as well I don't need this stuff.
Whats the availability like on ethanol? :?
The same as me. Nothing nearby.

And as I'm already reluctant, it's not very convincing when they say: " the rule of thumb is you can use 100% biodiesel in any diesel built between 1990-2004". I got a BX from 1986.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

with kitch here! if youwant a fun bx then 16v all the way matey! gti's are okay! same as deisels but not in the same league as the 16v (mi16 engine incase you didnt know!) nice and light, fast enough to suprise a lot of people and very comfy as a cruiser and on a nice run fuel isnt as bad as many people belive!
If youget a 16v you wont be sorry!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

i have run my bx on bioblend up until recently and ill swear it ran better ,my nearest bio outlet is only 20 miles away and have made the effort twice to go and fill up but it is not much cheaper so have used plan b which is to go down to the border fill up and fill 6 jerry cans at the same time and just hope that mr customs is not around .of course there is plan c which is to use the other coloured stuff......
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Daniel B »

Wowee this topis certainly went off at a tangent, I thought I had clicked on another thread by mistake :lol:

Welcome to the forum, and as you seem to have an affiliation for rapid cars (and who doesn't 8) ), I would 3rd or 4th the recommendation for a 16V.

It may take a bit of searching, but your clearly not in any hurry, so time is on your side.

let us know what you decide on.

Cheers

Dan
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Welcome. I'm a fan of the TZD. A good one will cover ground quickly and cost little to run even if like me, you pay full price for your fuel. (I use French fuel when I can which is 10% veg oil, but that's an aside.) The sixteen valve cars are now getting expensive for the best ones and you wouldn't want anything less because old fast cars need to have been cherished. Quite honestly, I can think of better thrills per pound, but to each their own; it is a great Q-car. I'd still go for a Turbodiesel, though. Sound cars needing no more than a good clean and a service can be found for under £100 and are plentiful, making them an easy entry into BX ownership.