Meetups

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Charlotte
BXpert

Meetups

Post by Charlotte »

Hello BXy folk

This may seem like stupid question, but why don't we see each other more? The summer camps are great fun, even if it is just piggybacked on the CCC events, but I reckon we're big enough to have sort of regional monthly pub meets or similar? Of course I suppose there's some sort of liability insurance issue, don't know anything about that sort of stuff. Or perhaps these things are already happening, but you don't want weirdo Charlotte there ;-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Bride of Stinkwheel
http://weaselsemark.carbonmade.com

Citroen BX St Tropez
Still not over H592 AGW "Hugo" TZD Turbo
mds141
Over 2k

Re: Meetups

Post by mds141 »

I think it's more of a geographical issue Charlotte. There are a number of people that live in the central geographic area of the UK, but equally a number of us are spread out to all points of the compass.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

So how about regional ones? I'm sure there are enough people sort of close enough to each other to have 5-10 people at a pub once a month? I'm not sure about here as it's all new but I know in Kent/Sussex we could have got about 5 of us together I reckon. Surely worth a go? I miss you lot in these winter months! X

Bride of Stinkwheel

Citroen BX St Tropez
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

mds141 wrote: a geographical issue.
Yeah, give it the old 'geographical issue' routine Mark (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), or weirdo Charlotte will turn up out our immensely enjoyable monthly meetings (that everyone goes to except Charlotte) and probably completely spoil it :D

Actually, I wish we did have more meetings but it is, er . . . a geographical issue, so it looks like the X-rally is the next BXC grand day out. Barry at Bourne Citroen has offered to put on a technical day the same weekend - which is a good opportunity for get-togethers and generally being weird. Does anyone else fancy the tech day the same weekend as the X-rally? (this seems as good a place as any to mention it.)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

The E Midlands CCC group Christmas meal is coming up soon. That would be the ideal venue to use as a spring board, to arrange future meet-up for the central area of the UK.

Living so far north, I'm not really able to meet-up apart from the CCC rallies unfortunately.

At least we can all maintain contact on BXC and FB.

Good luck with any plans for future meet-up. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If it helps, I will go to my local pub once a month and sit alone in the corner and have a few drinks? :lol:

Certainly, I'd be interested in more meets although I couldn't say for certain whether I'd attend all/any of them. But it would be nice to have the chance to. Ideally it would be nice to stop overnight too, but the weather rules out camping in a field for most people...

There was talk of a Christmas meal around Birmingham, which I probably most central - around 130 miles for me and probably less for most.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

And being the most "in the a*sehole of nowhere, millions of miles from anywhere" regular member, it's most definitely a geographical issue!

We'd happily turn up if it were only a couple of hours drive, but as it's the best part of 3 hours just to bristol, we got no chance!
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I regularly attend The Fleece at Bretforton, Nr Evesham, mid month for another club but two other Citroenauts come. Great selection of real ales and good food next to proper fires. It would be just as good a venue for any local BXer to pop in. If it was to gain a following the landlord would probably allow parking in the rear yard or paddock.
However as December is Chrimbo month and the date falls badly into that - not ready for Chrimbo, loads of parties coming up - period, we do not meet in December in the hope folk will substitute our New Year run out to Lewknor. So the next opportunity will be mid Jan, which I will happily remind you of, but is, of course hostage to weather, particularly for me going there, as I have to traverse the Cotswolds. Great in the summer at midnight but not so great in a blizzard.

For a new venue it would be handy to know the centres of groups of active owners. A bit tricky with the old net as many folk rather like the anonymity of contact. I would certainly be interested in one around Oxfordshire but I think BX, possibly even CCC membership, might be a little sparse round here. If The Wyvern meet (like The Pheonix, Hartney Witney) still happens in Harwell Village, that is a possibility as its already petrol head night.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Just takes someone to organise 'em. Which would take as much effort as deciding a bit ahead of time that it would be good to go to (pub with reasonable parking), post on the forum that you'll be there, and um, be there. Less boring (I would hope) for couples than singles in the event that no-one else shows up, so get to it Charlotte ;P (seriously, Northampton is a reasonable central-ish venue for a fair few).

In terms of PL - we would have to be a bit careful about calling it an 'event' as opposed to an informal get together, otherwise can't see that there would be an issue.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

I am totally happy to arrange some sort of midlandsy meet, I'm not au fait with this area yet, obviously Northampton is good for me these days but perhaps Midlandsy folk would raise their hands and shout out where they live so I can plot some Citroeny laylines and find an equidistant meeting point?

Either way a Midlands Section BX Club Monthly Informal Meeting will be organised soon :-)

Bride of Stinkwheel

Citroen BX St Tropez
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

PL is not required if its an informal meeting. Its a public suggestion that there will be other owners at a licensed premises, with its own insurance, at a certain time. There is no gate money or service implied or offered above the actions of the host venue in serving drinks and food etc. If it gets big then there is a reason to look at a liability, but most good Landlords would probably act to co opt the event into their calender, as it should be good business. The Fleece, Bretforton, does this at times by opening the paddock to a 'Classic Car Evening'. His risk then.

Of course the next problem is what sort of pub to pick. You might be surprised how many people get turned off by a pub outside their comfort zone. For me a Schooner Inn or Harvester is a raspberry. Others love them. I like The Fleece which is National Trust, no straight edges olde worlde with tasty libations. But it ain't the cheapest place in the area. Some would hate it, I expect. The organiser gets the privilege of picking somewhere they like, as you cannot please everyone.

Sadly Northampton is probably further than I would regularly go on an evening, but it is within range for a raid, if it suited.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

Sorry, Harvester is a big old NO. Camra approved pub, independent if possible ;-)

Bride of Stinkwheel

Citroen BX St Tropez
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I wouldn't be turned off by the choice of meeting place, although a chain pub would be fairly low down my list! Just do it, and if I can come, I will.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

mat_fenwick wrote:I wouldn't be turned off by the choice of meeting place, although a chain pub would be fairly low down my list! Just do it, and if I can come, I will.

..that_ I'm in Newark so that's quite midlandsy.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Northampton, Banbury would be good for the likes of me in Oxfordshire, but Newark would be a bit too far I think.
Anyway Charlotte the location can be rotated so just do it !
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.