Meetups

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Meetups

Post by citsncycles »

Sounds like it - it was a huge event which filled the infield, plus a bit. My parents caravan was the support trailer for the DKW Club than weekend, and we ended up bailing out the Wartburg Club next door too. Got a very damp ride round the track in a Munga on one of the days, the rest of the time being spent wandering wound the event and getting very, very damp. The Auction marquee also got struck by lightening one night, which was exciting! we also had a barbeque in our Club display tent on the Saturday night - security came round to see what all the smoke was and ended up staying for burgers.

My other big memory ofthe track was a Corvette race car on slicks that managed to fall off the track at pretty much every bend. Oh, and did I mention it rained?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

That was around the time I had Grunhilde off Tony Bailey. A lot of cross over with the Deek lot. Margaret Collins and Bob Light etc. were big Schmitters as well.
Attachments
deek1.jpg
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

mat_fenwick wrote:So is a half finished can of Coke...
That's a bit harsh Mat. There's far more metal on a C5 to weigh in... :wink:
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

A lot of cross over with the Deek lot. Margaret Collins and Bob Light etc. were big Schmitters as well.
I knew Bob and Margaret from a very early age - over the 70's and 80's Mum had at various times been Secretary, Membership Secretary, Editor, chairman and President of DKWOC, which her Dad was a founder member of, as well as being a main UK importer for a while after the war.

I lost track of Bob years ago when he and Margaret split up, but stayed in touch with Margaret until she died. Right to the end she had a 3/6 and an F7 - after her death the 3/6 resided in Bath for a while before ending up in Ireland, and the F7 is apparently still alive and kicking in regular use in Oxfordshire, with the engine that was originally fitted to my own F7!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
brynf33

Post by brynf33 »

Hello,

A new member here and my project for 2014 is to bring my trusty BX back to full glory.
I'm in the Manchester area so any North West meet ups would be interesting to me.

Bryn
Citroen BX DTR Turbo 1769cc
5 door hatchback
1989 Diesel
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

citsncycles wrote:
A lot of cross over with the Deek lot. Margaret Collins and Bob Light etc. were big Schmitters as well.
I knew Bob and Margaret from a very early age - over the 70's and 80's Mum had at various times been Secretary, Membership Secretary, Editor, chairman and President of DKWOC, which her Dad was a founder member of, as well as being a main UK importer for a while after the war.

I lost track of Bob years ago when he and Margaret split up, but stayed in touch with Margaret until she died. Right to the end she had a 3/6 and an F7 - after her death the 3/6 resided in Bath for a while before ending up in Ireland, and the F7 is apparently still alive and kicking in regular use in Oxfordshire, with the engine that was originally fitted to my own F7!
So that will probably be Tony Bailey again. Seemed there was a bit of a hoo ha after Margaret died and some stuff got scrapped. She had a load of Messerschmitt stuff to. Not sure quite what the politics of all that was. Bob had something to do with the Messerschmitt Trust set up with Phil Boothroyd but drifted away from that too. I only had Sunderklasse but found an SP for a friend down in Bournmouth. I used to know of another pair, one being a DHC. I really ought to see if they are still there. Bought a Larmar, Bond MkA, and I think it was a Opperman without checking, off the same guy. He had a garage of splendid delights.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I do remember some goings on then - I do know some people weren't happy when Bob tried to step in and organise the sale of things, as he'd left Margaret for someone else and as far as the Deeks were concerned at least he'd dropped out the scene. I know Mum (who owned my Deek at that point) had tried to buy some spares when they were offered up and was effectively blocked from doing so. The fate of the engine from mine had more to do with my Dad, who effectively stripped the car when he and my mum split up in an effort to get her to give it to him.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

No actual meet was eventually put in place, I think. With the long evenings is it perhaps opertune to attempt an evening gathering somewhere?