Modified bx's

Anything about BXs
Leegt

Modified bx's

Post by Leegt »

As I'm new to the forum I've been scanning around for some modified bx's. Now I'm not one for over the top body kits but I do like a stealth motor. I'm just rebuilding my ax gt but with 190bhp it's enough to keep me smiling. Looks totally standard but with a turbo on a 1.6 8 v engine. So what's out there any bx's with a T16 engine in, v6????
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Re: Modified bx's

Post by Paul296 »

Leegt wrote: modified bx's. ?
Awkwardly stares at shoes and mumbles the word 'diesel'. :)
Leegt

Post by Leegt »

:-). Nothing wrong with a diesel!!! I've got a 307 1.4 hdi. Best car I think I've ever had!!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Mine's modified, but hardly impressively compared with a 190 bhp AX!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

There's a few modified motors about, from relatively mild to 'still working out how'. There's at least one TU engined car running AX GT spec, the Xantia 19TD engined estate of Mat's, and although we've not heard from him for a while there's a guy in eastern Europe running a modified 2.1 TD engined estate that can out drag most hot hatches. There's a guy in Holland trying to shoehorn a V6 into an estate, which has turned into a massive job. There's also at least one radically slammed valver on here too.

Projects talked about but not done (yet) include fitting a TU6 engine into a 14, and building a valver estate.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I realize I am strangely exposed here as a hypocrite. I happily tune up things like MG, Austin, Saab and Borgward from the '50's, which are accepted as Classics too, yet I cannot be but jaundiced on tuned 'moderns'. It is not consistent, is it? Yet I have this sort of cut off in being interested. Not helped by Rallying turning into sprints in the woods, boring.
Perhaps it is something to do with the driving experience and that the factory provided fast cars are now more than adequate to drive in today's traffic and an at an affordable price. Aston Martin DB5 performance for the price of a full service on the DB5! I cannot see so much point in tuning these moderns. I also do not buy into part of the culture, which seems to be more about informal cruising, donuts and drifting, than more formal club organised point to point motor sport. Is that because the ground roots have gone with the move at the top end to entertain TV needs? I never really got the Custom Car thing either. My feeling is the Custom Car and tuning movement have combined into the presentation of not just tuned up cars but ones that have the body kits and fittings. An element of fashion to, and 'bad' music. I sense this is more what the Peterborough event is aiming at.

This is one reason to have a Gti as they are a beginners car into this whizzo world. The old order of classic cars is breaking up, well certainly the Microcar thing is. It is time to move on, so I should take more interest into the more up to date cars and the tuning etc. Partly as it is good to keep learning. Otherwise I get stuck in the 50's.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Welcome to the club, you will probably find that most of the guys and girls on here are not much into out and out speed, but more economy and relibality, although fitting alloys and spoilers is quite common.

Dont be put off though as were all different!

A T16 BX would be interesting.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

This is Mandic's modified Bx:

http://bx16valve.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this is UK supercharged 16V:

http://bx16valve.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look on the 16V forum, Toddmans and Robin's cars are modified but not to the extent of the above cars.

You might have to register to view the links.

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

toying with the idea of doing something with my silver tgd currently a 1.9n/a diesel, slow noisy but very economical, in very nice condition, needs something new under the bonnet? sleeper??
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Leegt

Post by Leegt »

Exactly my point :-). Got 306 Gti engine waiting for someone to throw in ;-)
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Thread Bear wrote:

My feeling is the Custom Car and tuning movement have combined into the presentation of not just tuned up cars but ones that have the body kits and fittings.
I have to agree there, as I view the 2 quite differently. Anyone with the funds can buy a load of bolt on bits and either fit or pay for them to be fitted. On the other hand, while I don't like it when a tidy original car is radically customised, I can at least appreciate the engineering and skill that has gone into creating a one off vehicle. As for tuning cars, I like the sleepers that look totally stock but surprise other road users.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

A 16V with a pair of cams and throttle bodies on it is good for 185 ish bhp, in a car that it as light as BX will surprise more modern cars.

A standard 16V is quite subtle in its exterior styling, so the above pacakge in an estate or non skirted hatchaback would be a good sleeper.

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes a 16v estate would be a great bit of kit, especially if as Mike says you keep it looking stock.!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
christhelion
BXpert

Post by christhelion »

I once had ideas with my 4x4. Inspired by a really heavily and really well modified... ahem.. ermm.. Nova. 193bhp it had. rebuilt from the ground up, seam welded, fiberglass panels, this n that.
But when I looked at how original my 4x4 was, I wouldn't have had the heart even if I had the budget. It's probably much better off with the current owner.

Also being a big Ford fan (if you cut me down the middle it says Ford and Kawasaki in fact) I bought my MK1 Focus out of choice. I bought the cleanest I could get my hands on in the time I had, bought some spacers for the rear hubs (not wheel spacers, they space the hubs from the rear arms) and that was the extent. They're still sat on my bench in my garage coz after having driven it plenty and enjoyed it, I shouldn't fix what ain't broken. They're meant to make it understeer less but it's pretty well balanced and only needs the slightest lift to induce some mild oversteer. The only work its had is maintenance - bushes, cam belt, oil changes and plugs.
Even my once modified sportsbike has gone back to standard.
I've found that plenty of owners with modified cars that are always making excuses as to why it's not running, can't pull away in traffic, can't do this or that. Can't be used for the commute.
On the budget I allow myself for cars, I'd only have a half arsed modified one. I'd love something serious like that AX sounds but it wouldn't happen so I'm consigned to a 3 door hatch and a bike or two.
1992 BX GTi 4x4 in silver with all the extras. (sold and missed)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R E1
2000 Gilera DNA 50
2000 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
2009 Ford Focus ST-3 225
Borrowed 2006 Kawasaki ZZR 1400
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

yes that would be the idea with my tgd, keep it looking totally stock, but hiding a devil under under the bonnet, im sure there are many varients of psa petrol engines that can be shoehorned in, a zx volcane engine for example, but its all down to capability/engineering skills of which some i lack. but a nice thought for next years' summer project.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability