BX 19 TRS Estate for sale

Advertise your car for sale here. No parts or eBay spots in here please.
Condorman

BX 19 TRS Estate for sale

Post by Condorman »

Regrettably my recently acquired BX estate is up for sale. Having been re-commissioned early this year after a long time in storage, with new brake pipes, radiator and head gasket, amongst other lesser items, I bought the car in Gloucester from Dominic. Unfortunately the head gasket seems to have gone again with some sludge showing in the oil filler and a little in the radiator.
I don't have the time or facilities to repair it so I'm offering it to someone who can put it right.
The car is basically sound with mainly superficial rust and no bodywork damage and only slight paint defects. The interior is clean and tidy, with no rips or obvious wear and everything works, except the rear window washer.
It ran very well and with only 90,000 miles on a 1986 car that was recently serviced, so it should!
I'll be sorry to see it go but I've bought something else so I can carry on working. There are some pictures in various places on this site, a D-reg light blue metallic car, but I'll try to post some more.
In view of its condition and rarity, I'm asking £300 for a quick sale. There are very few 19TRS estates about so this is an increasingly rare chance to own one.
Current cars:
BX 19TRS estate
Rover 75 CDT Club auto estate
BX4X4X2
Confirmed BX'er

Re: BX 19 TRS Estate for sale

Post by BX4X4X2 »

Hi, BX 16/19 petrols will build up white sludge in cap and breathers due to condensation (short runs normally), does it use much water and does the oil look contaminated when you check the dipstick?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Quite agree, I expect its just short trips, if the heater works, and its not pressurising the system (when it went before it was throwing all the water out like a kettle) then I expect its ok

A great car and a bargain.

New spheres, rad, cambelt and a host of other items fitted this past year.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Condorman

Post by Condorman »

The oil looks OK on the dipstick and everything works OK but there is a suggestion of oil in the water and a trace of mayonnaise by the radiator cap. If everyone thinks that alright then I'll double the price!!
Current cars:
BX 19TRS estate
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

A little oil in the water isnt a massive issue, you would know if the h/g is gone, have the engine running with the rad cap off and watch for bubbles.

Went it went last time it was spitting the water out as fast as I put it in.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'd be surprised if the head gasket has gone again so soon - The Westons know their stuff with these engines and if did quite a few miles between the car being fixed and their selling it on.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Condorman

Post by Condorman »

Yes, I was surprised that it appeared to be the head gasket but I've never seen mayonnaise inside the radiator cap either. I've run cars for short journeys in winter before and not seen anything like this. I'll see if I can get it down to Romney Marsh Citroen soon and get their opinion.
Current cars:
BX 19TRS estate
Vantman
BXpert

Post by Vantman »

You have a PM
2003 Saab 9-3.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

is the car still for sale?
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Condorman

Post by Condorman »

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your input and after talking to David at Romney Marsh Citroen, plus the way the car behaves, I've concluded that it isn't the head gasket, just a lack of long runs. I've decided therefore to keep the car, at least for the present, and enjoy it. For other use, including work I've bought a modern classic, a Rover 75 estate. It's a diesel auto which is a boon around town but having to get used to the modern idea of small windows, rather than the panoramic view from the Citroen. The other thing to get used to is the smaller boot, perhaps it was intended as more of a "lifestyle" estate rather than a load-lugger such as the BX and the Xantia and especially the XM.
I went for a swim in the car today and it behaved well so once the weather dries a bit(!) I'll do some more work to iron out a few little niggles.
Happy New Year to everyone and happy motoring in 2014.
Current cars:
BX 19TRS estate
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Good man!! You would know if its the headgasket.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ah yes. I've owned a Rover 75 estate. Really not at all estate-shaped, and mine had beige carpet in the back! Not even slightly clever. They are nice though.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The Rover 75 was always sold as a Tourer (when I was peddling them anyway) and I think thats the excuse for a small boot. Saying that a BX estate is bloody good loadlugger and much bigger than many of its rivals.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Yep, you can throw a lot of stuff in the back of a BX estate, but the interiorin that one is too good to do that to it!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!