BX excess, can it be a success?

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: BX excess, can it be a success?

Post by Thread Bear »

The heater restoration continues to work. Pity I lost part of the steering wheel cover assembly in having all that apart. Still, another nail in the coffin of the now parts car. Yet to get time to do the reversing lights, as much building work to be done to tie in with a cheap day with a Luton van to move in some of my stuff.
I did thank the Estate for its capacity as I bought a new four light glazed oak door for £45 at the local scrappy and could remove it before they realised it was not a pine door, with which I feel certain it had been confused. Delay or delivery could have bought about disappointment. Not many cars would take this and allow the driver free movement. Admittedly I had it hooked back and balanced on the passengers head rest. The passenger was made to lean forward but since he was not paying for the fuel he was consuming I think he should consider it a privilege to be in there, nonetheless.
The yard, Haynes of Challow, has just got a very fine lifting gantry in. Complete with winch raised girder for two tons on a pair of wheeled A frames. Bogey carriage mounted chain hoist. A very nice bit of kit for shifting engeines, dropping shells on things etc. Quite tempted myself but I do not think I would get the use out of it over what I plan to do in the workshop construction. £400 prior to haggling.

Did get time to free off the brakes of the last Invalid Carriage. All bar one tyres inflated and a quick jostle in the back garden and most are tucked out of sight. The drive is gloriously empty save two growlers to be broken. That clears the way for deliveries of stuff and we worked out you can park ten BX on it and still have a parking/reversing space off the road. A handy kind of drive with a double garage at the end. A place where you can get work done when not infested with IC.

The main garage building to go in has been re-planned. Its back to the two buildings out of one. This gets round having to have Buildings Regs round as they are under that size and within permitted development. Built in such a way that later they will be joined by filling the angle. That infill is permitted development and can be an annex type area. Not a full annex as that attracts rates, officially. Nor can it be built as an annex, as it requires planning. No, first you must build the existing building and then nearly complete converting it to an annex and that's OK. Good grief! However it saves £1,000's to not have officialdom sticking its hooter in. Likewise all mods to the house are permitted development. So I can use my 'illegal' staircase to access the loft space. Its free, it fits and a legal one is not and does not.
Outside the whole new garage assembly to go in will be a temporary set of open sided parking areas for about 16 cars. The original garage eventually will be walked back about six foot and made into the workshop itself. Again all within permitted development. Yet with the way it is to be done it will look very much better than what was there, as it will be tidy, uniform in style and construction, and done at a reasonable budget but to a higher standard than doing it 'the right way' will allow.

The knock on from this, and the fact my 'buyer' for the barn conversion in Cumbria has dropped out on finding I am not trading the property for a couple of weeks building work, is that the agricultural property needs to be stabilised next year and become the stash. It attracts no rates. This to replace the old Lada Garage buildings I bought years ago, for naff all, that now does command rates. I therefore need to get them working for me or sell them off in some form. At the moment they are full of growlers that came in as make weights or things I had to clear to get what I wanted on deals when I was trading Classic Cars. Most of it is scrap, but I need to go through it and sort good, banger racers, parts and scrap out to clear the place out. The upshot of all that will be a reasonable amount of new storage space. The downside is it is a long way from home. I have a static on site at one property so I can holiday. Yep folks, I have a holiday shed! Every petrol head should have one.

Meanwhile Gary had his antifreeze checked. This was delayed, if you recall, as I was running a weeping radiator. We have had two nights of minus 2 so time has run out. The weep seems to have been the result of a poor stopper/O ring. Changing the stopper has seen top ups needed only about once every six weeks, and that being about three quarters of a litre while trying to get the heater working. There is every chance they may have been BX burps. Anyway it took about two hours to re burp the system to take the litre of antifreeze added on Sat. It will be interesting to see if the antifreeze mix is more successful at finding an escape route. I am still carrying a bottle of water, which lives with a bottle of LHM in the void next to the washer bottle.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

You might be referring to the 30 sq meter outbuilding up to 4 meters tall? Been there, fortunately I just had room to get one in my garden (29.5 sq meter, 7m long), all complies, ie 20m from road, 1m from neighbours boundary, 5m from house just!. Fed 16 sq mm armoured cable with 50 amps through it into said workshop. Dedicated to wood and boats rather than BXs' but useful 12" vice on workbench etc.

Fighting your way through planing/building regs, all good fun. One consolation of older properties is the less restrictive covenants. I have three on my land all 'No dwelling places on wheels' wonder why!.
Some of the newer developments (covenants) almost stop you working from home.

Decided to 'improve' rear flat roof a few years, back ahem, now a pitched one with some of that Douglas Fir that was in the front garden forming a main structural support under it. Strange how I noticed the required CE mark on it haha. 2 pieces approx 200 x 55 mm bolted together with grain running nigh on vertical. It will take a lot more than the roof loading + 300 mm snow factored as water ie SG 1.0 + safety factor ( I worked on 3x) to break it. No planning required and everything done inside current Building regs at time.... just forgot to mention it.

How clean was/is stuff in radiator?. At least my last 2 cars were pretty good even if one had never been changed in 13 years. It is a reasonable indication of the state of fur/corrosion if it hasn't been topped up too much.

Dead right about BX space, even the hatches are hard to beat in the 4.25 m long current car ranges. Just tell a salesman you ned to get metric ply (1.25 m wide) through the tailgate.... :lol:
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

The rad had been well cleaned before I got it. I cleaned it to. Its a good rad but Graham got a better one so let me have it. It was thought it had a small fault on a seam or an impact. However on replacing the plugs it seems to be performing better than when they had it in the TZD. Now Graham is selling the replacement Gti. He does a fair mileage and has no real storage as his father is a Classic Car nut to, so I can see why.
I now have a spare rad as well so I can swap if there is a problem. Gary has used a few proportion of replacement parts but remains an economical rebuild, in my book.

You cannot beat having some land. I have 1/4 acre so I can build a lot of shedding - up to half the garden area but outside the statistics you mention, plus it is now 2 metres in from the edge of a shared boundary. I hope to dismantle two buildings up north which should give me reusable timber and roofing for much of the temporary shedding. The permanent structure will require some expenditure to match its quality being an oak framed job. However that is an uplift over the whole property, whereas the other is not. The workshop wants to be good too. Cannot buy the paddock next door now. Not available. Bummer. Could have had small events camping in there of friendly looneys.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

TB wrote 'You cannot beat having some land.'

The 21st centuy luxury - space. Thank goodness it was only 1m from boundary when I put mine up in '05, it (w/shop) would be too long and narrow with a 2m space. My plot is something like 113' X 96' and near enough rectangular. The 30s' bun is 10 X 9 meters and slightly offset because the lady who had it before, bought a bit of land to the side. Main problem is the 12' + rise from the road to the workshop. I had 250 tons of earth removed and a ramp up to it carved by the digger.

Sounds like you have enough actual space, hopefully a lot more level than mine to actually play with TB.
I probably have about 1/8th acre but some of it is awkward ie not flat original woodland complete with 3 large birches and bluebells in the spring. At least water drains away from my land and it is sandy on Greensand so no flooding problems.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Bugger - 2 Mt from a boundary - My garden is only 4mt wide! Ah well, I'll just have to go back to the fallback plan of tents in the garden, although I suspect the neighbours would probably prefer buildings to the jungle it currently is.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I think its 2m if wood, 1m if non combustible to building regs, with informal permission (you officially ask if there is any complaint down your road and backing neighbours. If not you can do it). However you can be rather naughty and put up a full height fence onto which you put an open sided Lean To/Bolley/Car Port draining into your garden and have partially covered parking, following permitted development guidelines - not in front of the house etc etc. Since this is not a shed you can cover more than half your garden if it falls within the other rules. If you listed or a SSI or something, forget most of the above. One reason for moving out of Faringdon where I was unable to shed yet was looking forward to a 40% increase in new housing - how does that work - to Longcot which I can do pretty much all I need.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Gary does not like his anti freeze and the radiator is now weeping. Once again it is the stopper at the bottom for draining the system. So another will have to be cleaned up and a marginally larger O ring found and the plug fitted with some pliers. If that fails there is little that can be done but to seal the aperture up permanently. Be nice to find one of the metal edged versions as they might have a better type of fastener. Gary still needs his regular dose of LHM too.

True to form the reversing light issue is not straight forward. Or even straight backwards, in this case. There would seem to be an issue with the switch screwed into the gearbox. Such an easy place to get at too..... So I will pull the one off the dead car and see if there is a secret attached not suggested elsewhere, like sprung loaded drabble nudgers or locking dilberries. I can see what tool actually fits the demands of space and shape and we might get a result. Is this another instance of a complex answer to,,,,, a simple switch. Will the 13 mm spanner run away with the spoon, as it has a serious drug habit and an anarchic issue with nursery rhymes. Will my new treatment from nursie work. All this and more might be told shortly, in the next edition of getting Gary going.

Meanwhile Homer has had some parts ordered up prior to an attempt to get him going, once again. Not that I have huge amounts of time but it would be very useful to have back up for Gary, now that building work can start in earnest. This because the family Estate's building plots have finally been sold for money, rather than promises. Only a year after it was meant to happen! Any sensible person would heed the politicians and rush off and buy some horrid new thingy, pay lots of tax and get pissed on champagne. But I prefer to chuck a £100 at one of the worst cars I own and have a bit of a bun fight with my buddies putting fizzy foam into the bottom of the cavity walls. Hey chicks, I really know how to have a good time, just hold that bit of wood to stop the window opening.

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thread Bear wrote: But I prefer to chuck a £100 at one of the worst cars I own and have a bit of a bun fight with my buddies putting fizzy foam into the bottom of the cavity walls.
Simply avoided, just use Celotex!... :lol:
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

As I suspected, reversing light switch. Totally stupid positioning with odd sized flats long gubbins out the end etc to get at and remove it. No idea how the clutch arm comes off. Just a thread poking out. So one manually bent clutch arm later, I said I was strong, I have the switch out so I can see what I am dealing with. A switch that could be anywhere, like where you can take it off, service it and put it back with a normal tool. Modern cars :twisted: crap.

Question. Do I go along with this idiocy for Gary or start on the process of reverse development, so things are easy to fix. The list gets longer all the time, starting with the return LHM system. Or is it even simpler do take the XUD turbo engine and put it in the Wolseley 4/44 on a five speed gearbox for free tax and no MOT and uprate a classic with wood and leather interior. Negates needing a BX at all. Be nice to retro fit the LHM suspension but that would need a dead BX 4 x 4 or something to put the drive shafts through. (Always thought a LHM suspended NSU RO80 would be a great car. Or a single rotor DAF).

Still now have to waste good car time shopping for three more doors and a load of other building type crap. Door to sort this evening and the spraying of foam.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Building having taken over life for the moment, there has been little to report while Gary holds together. That is not to say the list of things to do is not growing, as usual. Still not done strut or reversing light. Clutch is a dream, or stationary car away. Now the heater adjustment has failed full on, but the blower will willingly and heartily blows it into the car. Pesky BXs. I think a wheel/tyre has been damaged by a pot hole, as we now have steering wobble. The washers have got clogged up, as there is some sort of chemical reaction creating new life, or at least long chain molecules, from various differing brands of antifreeze put in over the years. So a days maintenance is demanded soon.

Meanwhile the Family Estate finally managed to sell the two building plots. I therefore received my share of this inheritance. The others had fizzo whizz parties. I regard that as akin to celebrating Dunkirk rather than D day, as really the mess they made of the whole thing, it was a luck escape! In real terms we lost money. I think both families have gone out a bought new cars. I noticed a Gti non runner for sale in Malvern and bought that as a reward to myself for not getting very angry. Well not till I try and get it going, anyway. No more rewards or fripperies, as I have to get building, with a real budget to spend at last.

Anyway this Gti, J208 EGT, Egbert, has been collected, and the parts inside unpacked. I have had a better look over it using the knowledge gained from the forum. I was right, it is a BX! No! :lol:
I think I have struck lucky. Going over the shell I can find very little rust. The screen area is clear, the area below that is pristine though I have yet to remove either washer reserve. All the normal places to the front seem good save a hole forming on the N/S inner wheel arch. The door posts are good but there is a scar on the rear sill top on the N/S. Looks like an untreated loss of paint but might hide something worse. I have not been right underneath. Not the weather for it, and not taking a chance on the suspension. Not sure if the body kit promotes rust behind it.

Equipment seems to be correct. 6J wheels with a steel spare adapted for ali bolts. Badges all over the place. It has blue? tinted rear lights, sunroof wind deflector in blue, headlight covers, set of mudflaps, Full leather interior with rear seat head rests. The air con is known to not work. Something to do with a different radiator. From my limited knowledge most of the rest seems to be there. I think the interior is correct though the gear knob is just a black job, no jazzy stuff or badging.

In moving the car we ended up putting Gary's large ex van battery on. This persuaded Egbert to start pretty promptly, (yet Egberts battery still started Gary, certainly a bit of a tired battery though) and it was clear that short churning starts had filled the engine with fuel, and previously congealed fuel, as it improved with the running each time. Bob, my bud the transporter driver, gave its some beans coming off the truck - always easier when its not your car! It sounded pretty good so I think Colin, the seller, was perfectly true. The head was rebuilt after a cambelt failure and the car has not been used legally since. So I think it needs to go and visit someone who knows what he is doing with these engines, as I do not. If there is a problem, it can be identified, otherwise we can make the best out of what we have at 163k miles. The cooling and ancillaries need checking out first. The suspension needs a service but new rear spheres, an octopus etc are heading in the right direction. There is a leak and there is some kind of issue with adjustment/ride level/pressure but until the car has a chance to settle down to a full, clear system of bled through LHM its not really got a chance to show clear faults for diagnosis.

Bad bits. Well not a lot actually. The rear door/boot lid has had one corner broken off. Colin has claimed two corners as possible repair inserts, but I am not sure whether this is possible on a plastic panel. Neither did he, so there is another complete Gti door with screen in silver grey off a scrapped car, G85 OCG, a 1989 car apparently. This has a Tom Walkinshaw Racing badge on it. No idea if that is significant. Egbert himself was a company directors car for three years. Then sold to an employee in Ledbury, before Colin got it some 10 years ago. Seen little use in his tenure and spent most of the time in a garage.
However the front spoiler has some holes in it as if it were a poor moulding. The lights do not work either - pretty normal, I think, as they get a hard time down there. Needs a set of tyres, which I have. No idea on chassis/running gear, but to be honest, for the deal at this point I can take a hit. All seems OK.
Sunroof is slow and sounds iffy. Need to get it in a garage to reveal if its died.
Air pipe from front radiator moulding to air-filter inlet missing.

Came with a spare set of normal tinted rear lights, plus all the others. A steering assembly, pair of front suspensions/brakes/hubs, another spare strut ready to fit (assumed to be responsible for the leak, as with Gary), I think a full set of engine ancillaries, dash binnacle, more mudguards, speakerised rear parcel shelf - done well. A gear change with identical but shattered gear knob. Some suspension pipes and misc gubbins. Couple of doors to come.

I have no idea what you guys would value this lot, and the car, at. I am pleased with what I got and it has the potential to make a car better than I anticipated, so I am happy. The earlier arrival of a Gti to the ranks does put a slight pressure on the extent of my BX collection. I was going to wait a while, but something told me to act on this particular car. So should anyone be interested in the 1.4E, with the two new spheres, or 1.6 Auto, I will pass one on at cost. If not I will get round to them at some point.

Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Good going mr bear, well saved and good work on finding what seems to be a good 'un.

As for the 1.4E - drop me a PM with what you need for it. I may well be interested.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Probably can repair the 'plastic' boot too. It is made in DMC probably a polyester but epoxy would bond and build on it perfectly well. After proper repair and spraying it should be as strong as the original. BTW DMC is Dough Moulding Compound, basically a lump of polyester with short strand glass pre mixed and catalysed is put in a mould and it is then squeezed to fill the shape. A little like a gentle press tool. Mould is heated, most likely aluminium with elements in it to aid cure time and shorten cycle. Pressing the steel ones was quicker but you needed the reinforcements and welding along wit more spraying so probably not a lot in it cost wise. Just less rust with the plastic parts.....
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

For the record the 1.4E owes me the princely sum of £238.30 but does include a pair of new spheres.

Sadly due to vans buggering up engines I had to overspend on the low mileage 1.6 Auto collection. So that stands at a rather more red faced £450.

Folk are welcome to come and kick tyres if interested. These cars are not in danger of breaking and given time I will get round to them. That said it might be better for the cars if someone were a bit sharper in doing something with them.

Of to do citrobatics with Gary as he is stuck on tip toes after the floods were forded. Also gained a clunk to go with the wheel wobble. Humph! The Yeovil Chip Shop BX is visiting today. T'was Mike. First varnish 24 sq metres of floor so its dry for this evening bunfight.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Well there was good news and bad news.

Good that Gary still carries on working despite the unfinished nature of his resurrection. Not without its problems though. It seems the wet weather has penetrated something in the drive/steering train. That or there are two problems. Certainly at times I am getting heavy steering again. First call is a dry unspoken for period to check the belt replacement made a month or two back, as it my well have stretched. To obvious not to look. The second is a bad case of wheel wobbling accompanied by that little Cornish Pixie, with his hammer tapping away on a bearing, after venturing through deeper puddles. It is as if the water is penetrating a bearing and pressurising it. The whole effect when exhibited feels like a naff drive shaft. But I have not had a naff drive-shaft that was puddle conscious, hence I blame the Pixie who perhaps is. Anyway he got so annoyed last night that I got a case of the wheel shakes at about 40. Most unpleasant and not recommended. So what ever is failing, is failing fast.
Put the two together and it might be bushings, but it is a bit inconsistent to my mind.

Homer had to be moved from his position on axle stands waiting for that dry spell to fix his exhaust and stuff. Popped him down and thanks to someone nicking all the dead and loose batteries I had collected to take to the scrap sometime - think I know the culprit so Karma Private Eye is investigating, I had to get Gary's battery. Homer tried starting on next to no urgs so on getting a full compliment rendered a satisfying imitation of a large river launch. Manoeuvring the drive proved he was up for it and there is a fundamentally good car under the scruffy exterior.
The dead Turbo had a bit of wood wedged into the gap where the top mount should be and had to be pushed out of the way. No doubt now worried it is to loose its drive shafts!

All this curefuffle is because I am finally moving out of Faringdon and into Longcot having got the Lounge and Hall done. I can use that as a bedsit while I do the rest of the place up. Be great to get out of the old house, its bad vibes, and have everything back in one place. Whatever you need is always in the other dwelling otherwise. So the BX begin to coalesce onto one bit of space as Pluto and Egbert are already there. Miguel, Homer and the scrapper are to join in a few weeks, Gary is where I am. Only Walt is in remote storage.

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Not sure about that noise Gary has developed. I had a steering ball joint go with almost no affect on the steering or noise (it was described as dangerous by the MOT station), wheel bearings are definitely corner related ie you know which side as it loads up etc. A knocking was a wishbone bolt/nut fractionally loose, squeals are usually the pads (seems Mintex specific), whilst u/s wishbone bushes gave wheel wobble at 10-25mph with no hands on wheel - pretty spectacular (one side only knackered) too. Worth checking through it, track rod ends, steering ball joints first I guess. Drop links only seem to clonk on bumps when knackered not have much other effect. As usual let the car run for a bit with engine off downhill to hear anything ie bearings or chafing. Hope you er track it down!