Opera windows

Anything about BXs
TizzyD
BXpert

Opera windows

Post by TizzyD »

I was looking at my car today and imagining what it would look like with opera windows and that got me thinking ...

Would it be possible to change the C pillars from with opera windows to a car without operas ? Or are the C pillars too vital to structural rigidity ?
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Opera windows

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes it's possible as they are just stuck on, finding a good set will be hard work, and also you would need a panel above it in the same colour or have it painted.

From memory Ray did the same job but in reverse on a TRS with shot windows.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think you need inner trims aswell. Best bet is to find a car being broken and strip it all out, although the cold weather isn't best suited to this.

As Tim said, finding useable windows will be trickiest - someone on here did get a pair make a few years back.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

OK I am up to speed with what these are now. Is this a racist based name based on Oprah, or is there some reason they are related to Opera. I do not get it. I think they are rather funky but was disappointed that they are smoked dimmed plastic fantastics rather than glass
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Glass ones would be much better but costly to make.

Alan Goodyears yard has plenty of donors.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Opera windows are small porthole sized side windows in the C-pillar of some cars. Typically offered in unison with a vinyl roof, they were a very common design feature of American automobiles during the 1970s. The design was new at the time, "... and would prove to be very popular, indicated by its imitation by almost every domestic manufacturer. The opera window was a fixed rear side window surrounded by a vinyl roof."
The windows were intended to offset the significant blind spots created by the very wide C-pillars that were characteristic of American cars produced at this time. Even narrow opera windows helped rear visibility. In an age of decreasing dimensions and increasingly common use of non-opening rear side windows on 2-door models, the small opera windows helped rear passengers to be somewhat less claustrophobic.
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Yes I remember those and a good answer, thank you. Still seems odd to call them Opera windows, but they have to be called something, and I can see a loose association. More so if Lincoln began the fad on their limos. I think given the Brit naming, it would have remained a quarter light. Much less exiting.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars