'10' things...

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well I'll be... electro-statically primed! Cataphoretic vats? Sounds like something out of Frankenstein.

Does the job though :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

First Citroen to have off-centre chevrons on the front?? (followed by mk1 AX)
First Citroen since the SM to have no grille between the headlights
First hydraulic Citroen to have quasi-Macpherson struts (boo)
First hydraulic PSA car - the story goes that Peugeot wanted conventional suspension, but faced by a mass- walkout by the Citroen factory workers, they were forced to adapt the design...

LN/LNA and Visa are the first PSA cars (1976, 1978) - both being based on Peugeot 104 floorpan and engines (except twinpot). Peugeot took over in '74.

Anything else...
Is BX the first Citroen to have a tilt and slide sunroof, as opposed to just slide? Did the Visa ever have one, and was it electric?

Mark.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

mnde wrote:Is BX the first Citroen to have a tilt and slide sunroof, as opposed to just slide? Did the Visa ever have one, and was it electric?
I think the CX had the option of a tilt/slide.

Was the BX the first car to actually be designed to take the XUD engine? Previous cars had been adapted to take it, but I think the BX was the first to have it designed in from the outset.
this might be a signature
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

jonkw wrote:As regards the XUD, it first entered service in the Peugeot 305,
Not wishing to be an UTTERLY pedantic git, but I'm fairly sure the XUD was first installed in the Talbot Horizon in November 1982, then in the Pug 205 in september 1983.

Pug 305 gained the XUD in October 1983 (UK market), and the 309 was launched with the XUD in August 1986. (well after the BX had it)

The 305 did have a diesel engine earlier than this, but it wasn't an XUD... it was 1548cc and horredously slow.
Last edited by DavidRutherford on Thu May 25, 2006 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Wasnt the BX launched in 1982 in France with the XU petrol engine?
Over and out from me
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

And it wasn't the first volume production car to have plastic body panels either! No Sir! More Corvettes had been produced before the BX came on stream than BXs were ever produced.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Motor test (No. 07/83 - so presumably early 1983) states:

The (Horizon)LD is one of the first Talbot-Peugeot hybrids, combining Peugeot's recently announced XUD9, 1905cc diesel engine - now available in the revised 305 range. . .

Did well, same consumption as a Golf 1.6C but significantly faster, and much more economical than the marginally faster Renault 18 TD 2.1 (don't think TD meant turbo then - they were'nt used! - and it only developed 66.5 BHP)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

I had 3 Talbot Horizon 1.9LD's in the mid 90's. Excelent engine, in a rather tatty (hence cheap) but very tough bodyshell.

Plus the Horizon had double wishbone front suspension on torsion bars. Twin-piston fixed front calipers, fully independent rear trailing arms and better access to the engine than any other FWD XUD car. All in all a brilliant car.

Except for the rustproofing, which was based around filling the sills and all box-sections with a very strong salt solution, such that the floor rotted away before your eyes!

If anyone ever hears of a Horizon 1.9LD in existance, I'll break the owners arm off for it.
Toddman
BXpert

BX

Post by Toddman »

jonkw wrote:I have no idea why BX wasn't offered with 1.9XUD from the outset.

Mr full of useless info, Wilts. ----^
I am lead to beleive the 1.7 engine was introduced purely for regulations reasons - i.e. the smaller cc enabled a lower taxation or something similar.

Don't forget -

FRANCE'S FIRST 16v PRODUCTION CAR 8)

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Nope, not even that. Ballot, Peugeot and Delage put them into their production cars from their racers before 1920 and Bugatti had a sixteen valve four in the thirties. (Incidentally, if you look at the engine for his post war austerity car in the Schlumpf, this was a 750cc four valve twin cam. Mad, yet wonderful.)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I should imagine the reasons for the apparently late introduction of the XUD's in the BX were questions of reliability and supply. Whilst all manufacturers do their best to test things properly they can be caught out when the general public gets hold of things.

Remember the 2.8 XJ6 of 1968? jaguar had been making this engine in numerous sizes for 20 years and it had a reputation of being very tough in all forms. They wanted a smaller engine for the XJ6 and produced a 2.8 which survived their testers and seemed OK - so it went into production - and - started burning holes in pistons!

Apparently all the testers tried to make it go like a 4.2 - and thrashed them. Joe public drove it gently, the pistons got covered in carbon and overheated!

Far less embarrassing if the Horizon LD got a reputation for blowing up!

I expect also that there was a considerable work-up period before the XUD plant reached full efficiency - as well as the recruitment and training of additional shifts etc. - hence the gradual introduction across the range.

Totally new engines are a rare event in the motor industry - and in its day the XUD was rather extreme - offering substantially more fuel efficiency and output than had been achieved hitherto for a diesel - and as we now know exceptional reliability as well.

Its interesting to reflect that in 1983 Rover introduced the 2400SD with an Italian VM in line 4 cylinder turbocharged engine. Its output - 90 BHP and 142 lb ft torque - exactly the same as the XUD 1.9 TD - which came about 8 years later in the ZX TD. The XUD would have been much lighter and smaller which is really its significance as it made transverse installation possible in quite small cars.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The VM engine was quite loud compared to the XUD, however they increased the size and power to 2.5 and 110bhp for the 800 series, to be honest when on boost there a quick car! My mate has one with 60k miles on which is just sat gathering dust if someone wants a big fast diesel.

The SD turbo Sd1 came out in 1981/82 before the turbo XUD was aroud I think?
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

As for those two-car awards mentioned earlier in the thread: I seem to remember the BX still winning Caravan Club tow-car awards after it went out of production. Did I dream that? Can anyone cite it?