Myopic steering wheel

Anything about BXs
adamskibx
BXpert

Myopic steering wheel

Post by adamskibx »

Is this normal? It's not round, or oval, or any shape..just random with a deviation of up to 5cm off round.

Only noticed it today!
electrokid
1K Away

Re: Myopic steering wheel

Post by electrokid »

Just sounds as though it's bent then ?

Has the steering wheel been on a car that's been in an accident ? Or is something going wrong with its structure ? Either way I'd suggest finding a replacement fairly quickly - if you've only just noticed it - has it only just happened ?
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Presume it's the single spoke type for this to happen? Could it be that someone has been hanging their weight on the steering wheel when getting into the car?

Also could have happened with the car being pushed and/or manoevered with the engine not running.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

every BX Ive owned is round, sound likes the foam etc is giving in or the previous owner was rather heavy handed!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

You would not only have to be heavy handed; You'd have to be super-human! A few weeks back I noticed that on the right of the car you can see the dash pod side buttons outside the wheel, and on the left, you could see them inside the wheel, and then I thought Citroen must have done something exceptionally clever with asthetics creating an illusion and that it would in fact be round and that it was all a trick of the eye. However, when I measured the wheel height by extending my hand over the top of it and lining it up with the dash, and then rotating it, that's when I realised it was in no way round. I was going to try to replace it anyway due to the foam deteriorating but its the metal that's gone warped. One possibility, and it's the only thing I can think of, is that an anti-theft device/steering lock was fitted and the heating and contraction of the wheel under intense sunlight caused it to go strange. I think I would now find a round wheel strange - It's got Allegro-esq advantages now :)