Dashboard instrument cluster removal

BX Tech talk
jeremyC5
BXpert

Dashboard instrument cluster removal

Post by jeremyC5 »

I've searched the threads, but not found anything about removing the dashboard instrument cluster.

Mine is detached from the dashboard, and I can see it WAS fixed by two bolts and nuts/wing nuts.
Can anyone tell me how on earth you're supposed to reach these from the back.
Mine is free simply because both brackets are broken off with the bolts still in situ.

The dashboard seems so full of wires, with no room at all to get a hand up behind - any suggestions ?

(not sure if my question should be under Tech: FAQs - please move if required)
C5 x 1
Ford 100E - Red x 2
Herald 12/50 x 1
sdelasal
BXpert

Re: Dashboard instrument cluster removal

Post by sdelasal »

Jeremy - - there is a good explanation of how to remove the instrument cluster here: http://citroen.tramontana.co.hu/electrics/dashboard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

To get at the 2 rear mounts, remove the central tray in the top centre of the dash and the blanking plate at the right hand end of the dash at the front, where some models have a choke knob or electric mirror switch. You should be able to reach through these holes to the mounting points.

There's also 2 mounts that (from memory) are accessed by removing the column covers.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
jeremyC5
BXpert

Post by jeremyC5 »

That's great, thanks very much...
..such a simple way, but I just didn't know.

I just have to get some replacement parts, to replace the broken bits.

Thanks guys !!
C5 x 1
Ford 100E - Red x 2
Herald 12/50 x 1
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

make sure you do the bulbs at the same time and remember to clip the speedo cable back on properly before you do it all up again tight!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
jeremyC5
BXpert

Post by jeremyC5 »

Thanks Tim.

I still have reservations about doing it, it'll always be just a heap, unless it gets all it's little dings removed and has a full respray as well !!

Do you mean I should replace ALL the bulbs with NEW ones ? not just ones I've got out of another car ?

- I would be far better just buying one already done up, like the one for £1100 F/S !!, that'd be alot less hassle, but I'm not sure ablout cheaper - I only want to spend max £100 on this !! :lol:
C5 x 1
Ford 100E - Red x 2
Herald 12/50 x 1
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

What to spend on a car depends on what you want to use it for. If you want a show car, then you need to start with the best motor you can afford if you don't want to end up spending more than it's value. On the other hand, if you want a daily driver that you're not afraid to load up for the tip, collect engines in or park at the local super market then IMHO you already have the best car for the job.

As for bulbs I'd pull them all and replace any that look at all suspect, as well as the ones already blown. Shop around for bulbs, as buying them with holders is expensive - I think there's a thread on here somewhere mentioning some slot machine bulbs being the cheapest available option.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

A job I have to look 'forward' to as well. Has anyone pulled the switches apart either side of the binnacle? I get the feeling they can only be removed with the binnacle removed, but I've got to do that anyway. Bit reluctant as the speedo needle isn't wobbly at the moment...

But the switches are not illuminating when the lights are on, and the HRW doesn't light up when it's in use either. Helpful!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

you will need to remove the steering column covers first before removing the binnacle as there are 2 screws hidden behind the top cover that hold the bottom of the binnacle in, you will prob find some of your backlights will work once you remove them and put them back in. best to bench test it first before refitting, the heater control backlights are a bit more accessible by removing the centre panel front cover. bags of 10 or 20 of these bulbs can be obtained from ebay fairly cheaply even with holders if you prefer.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You can get the switches out with the binnicle in situ, but you need a very thin screwdriver to poke between the moving part of the switch, so it can prise between the fixed part and the binnacle. Simply pulling on the moving part is likely to unintentionally disassemble the switch...

The background illumination is using the same bulb as when on, just via a resistor so that explains the complete lack of light. I've never intentionally took a switch apart, but will have a look at a spare tonight to see whether the bulb is easily replaceable.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ah, I was wrong. Turns out the fog lights were on, so the switch didn't light up unless headlamps were on. Hazards and rear wiper illuminate, it's just the HRW that doesn't - on or off so it'll be that one bulb.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It's been a while since I've had a mk2 dash apart, but once the binnacle switch is removed as above I seem to remember it being fairly straight forward reaching the bulb, although more careful prising apart is involved.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
David
BXpert

Post by David »

The dash is quite easy to get apart. If you have the patience. The steering covers don't need to be removed If you have all the correct tools. If you remove the 2 tiny torques screws underneath the instrument panel surround, then a piece of plastic comes out, you can then access the lower screws. you then undo them & the lower part of the instrument panel is undone.
Providing you don't drop anything when dismantling/reassembling it then the steering covers don't have to come off.

The switches can be removed from the front, But they can be quite tricky. Its normally easier to push them from behind. Once they are removed from the surround you can carefully unclip the outer piece of the switch from the inner white part, You have to get a tiny screwdriver or two on it. I cannot remember if the bulb is accessible then or if you need to remove the white part as well. However proceed carefully if the white part has to come out or you can damage your switch.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've had a look at one of my spare switches, and yes, the white plastic bit has to come off the back of the switch. Time for a how-to guide maybe? Although I've put the switch down, and can't remember where!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
jeremyC5
BXpert

Post by jeremyC5 »

mat_fenwick wrote:I've had a look at one of my spare switches, and yes, the white plastic bit has to come off the back of the switch. Time for a how-to guide maybe? Although I've put the switch down, and can't remember where!
You've only just been loking at it !!!
- Do you have a very short attention span Mat ? #-o
C5 x 1
Ford 100E - Red x 2
Herald 12/50 x 1