Dashboard instrument cluster removal

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Re: Dashboard instrument cluster removal

Post by mat_fenwick »

Unfortunately so - I was unloading some wood to build a shed with, then remembered I was going to root for a switch. Found the switch, then went back to moving wood and forgot I'd put the switch safely in my pocket!

ANYWAY, you don't have to remove the white plastic part as I'd remembered. Just remove the front of the switch to access the bulb. There are two tabs, one top and bottom which can be pressed with a small screwdriver once the switch is out. Alternatively and depending on how worn the switch is, the front may come off just by pulling. In which case the rear of the switch could be left in the binnacle.

The bulb itself appears to be a grain of wheat style bulb, and I've not (yet!) attempted to pull it out. You can see it, and one of its leads, in the photo:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Re dash bulbs: Some bulbs are fixed into their plastic mounts but most are not. See if you can remove the bulbs from their plastic holders - it may take a bit of effort or a suitable piece of rubber tubing to grip the bulb better. If you have removable bulbs you should be able to find a motor factors who'll sell you a set of the bare bulbs for around a tenner - IIRC you'll need around 35 of them. IMHO worth replacing all of them in one go.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
jeremyC5
BXpert

Post by jeremyC5 »

electrokid wrote:Re dash bulbs: Some bulbs are fixed into their plastic mounts but most are not. See if you can remove the bulbs from their plastic holders - it may take a bit of effort or a suitable piece of rubber tubing to grip the bulb better. If you have removable bulbs you should be able to find a motor factors who'll sell you a set of the bare bulbs for around a tenner - IIRC you'll need around 35 of them. IMHO worth replacing all of them in one go.
Cheers electro, I guess that's good advice.

That's a good pic Mat !
-- First time I've heard the word "binnacle " :o
C5 x 1
Ford 100E - Red x 2
Herald 12/50 x 1
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

No probs. When I took the binnacle off I replaced all of mine - nice bright display and no more problems - if I fix something I prefer it to stay fixed.

Forget the motor factors - here's the cheapest I found on eBay - pretty sure that "286 capless" is the right bulb but someone else will be along shortly to correct me if they're not :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-286-CAPL ... 35c7ba01fe

You'll need 4 boxes = £6.36 total
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate