Auto valver?

BX Tech talk
mds141
Over 2k

Re: Auto valver?

Post by mds141 »

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I'm going to discuss the merits of an auto conversion with Barry Annels at the Tech Day the Saturday before the X rally. If it's doable, then it will be done. If not, the valver can have a rest in the garage.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Gotta echo what Tim said overleaf. Yeah it could be done, but it'd likely end up being rubbish. The D6C needs thrashing mercilessly to extract the beans and to aid that it needs closely stacked gear ratios.....the opposite of what you get in an auto box.
With a BX alone, an auto would be much better suited to a GTi IMO, though the drawback there is you obviously don't get the great engine. TD auto probably makes the most sense really....I'm sure someone will build a green one, one day :lol:

I think if I was confined to an auto car, I'd have to go more than 4 cylinders personally and ditch the BX entirely. No disrespect to anybody who has one, as we all like different things, but an auto 4-cyl petrol car - I shudder at the thought! V6, straight 6, V8....fine. Or like I said before, diesels suit them better.

XM V6 would probably be where I ended up, or over at the Alfa/Saab/Volvo stables. :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If you didn't want the electric clutch, they do a right hand side manual clutch, that may be a cheaper alternative?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Kitch wrote:With a BX alone, an auto would be much better suited to a GTi IMO, though the drawback there is you obviously don't get the great engine.
I can attest that the GTi goes well with the autobox :D and the engine has real go in it in the motronic 3.1 version.

When you want to overtake within kick-down range, it does so like "shit off a shovel" and still has plenty of torque available at higher revs & road speed for quick acceleration.

The torque converter is fully bypassed in 4th and wont change up normally until road speed exceeds 42mph, which will also hold longer under rapid acceleration to above 50.

The torque converter is also semi-bypassed in 3rd so I would have thought that results with the 16v engine would be quite acceptable. If you want to rag it like a manual I guess that you would need to adapt your driving style to utilise kick-down as the norm rather than the exception but how the long-term reliability of the ZF would be affected by this mode of driving, I couldn't possibly comment.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Way2go wrote:
Kitch wrote:With a BX alone, an auto would be much better suited to a GTi IMO, though the drawback there is you obviously don't get the great engine.
I can attest that the GTi goes well with the autobox :D and the engine has real go in it in the motronic 3.1 version.

When you want to overtake within kick-down range, it does so like "shit off a shovel" and still has plenty of torque available at higher revs & road speed for quick acceleration.

The torque converter is fully bypassed in 4th and wont change up normally until road speed exceeds 42mph, which will also hold longer under rapid acceleration to above 50.

The torque converter is also semi-bypassed in 3rd so I would have thought that results with the 16v engine would be quite acceptable. If you want to rag it like a manual I guess that you would need to adapt your driving style to utilise kick-down as the norm rather than the exception but how the long-term reliability of the ZF would be affected by this mode of driving, I couldn't possibly comment.
I wasn't suggesting the GTi doesn't go well, as performance is subjective and down to personal opinion of what constitutes being "quick".
But the 16v engine was taking the XU9 one step further. The 8v was a basic engine design, where the 16v featured all manner of exotic materials and the latest technology at the time. There's a fairly bit difference between it and the 8v in terms of performance in a manual BX.
But that goes back to my point - in an auto car the gearing is so tall that you drop out of the power band on each gear change. The 16v lump is pretty flat below 4000rpm, and though it still produces more torque than the 8v engine, the 8v can deliver it much lower down, making it better suited to the auto box. The 16v lump is a bit of a one trick pony - it can potter around at 1000rpm, or it can scream down the road at 7000rpm. That's about it, where the 8v can handle most things in between, so for an auto car the 8v is probably better. I suspect there would be little in the way of a performance difference between a GTi auto and a 16v auto. And some may say "why the obsession with speed?" Well, if you're not fussed about speed there's not much point owning a 16v, as all the other BXs do everything else better :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)