Insurance

Anything about BXs
Thread Bear
1K Away

Insurance

Post by Thread Bear »

Had a bit of a search for a new Insurance policy having moved, got several cars going at such. Footpad James have got very expensive since they were bought out by EON, I think it is [-X . So with Gary nominated as daily driver, I looked at a classic drivers policy initially for a 25 year old Trooper, 27 year old BX 1.6 Auto and a 50 year old Messerschmitt :) .
Several issues there. Trooper is a genuine off roader and many insurers will not give them classic status as many are used for green laning. You would not get this one very dirty as it is a good one, though it is bought as a tool for a job, towing and poo work.
The Messerschmitt is the bulk of the value element of the insurance being about £14k, as it is a bit scruffy. Daft prices scratch... , but there we are.

Andrian Flux were by far and away the easiest to deal with and were very close to being the cheapest quote. However adding in the potential admin for changing cars, that will happen over the year as I shuffle the pack, and breakdown scrapdown cover on the lot, and that they could give me green card cover, agreed value and stuff I wanted, they got the deal at £250 for the three cars. With Gary costing £114, I think is about as cheap as I have had insurance :D. Bare in mind I am at the age where insurance is cheapest if you have a good driving record, and that I live in a rural location with secure off road parking, all stuff insurer like to hear 8) .

Its great to be looking forward to some real classic car activity after several frustration years being starved of my money by executors messing around. Not that I have all my investment back yet, really got taken by the family there, and I expect it to end in threat of legal action :-({|= .
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
mds141
Over 2k

Re: Insurance

Post by mds141 »

Just insured the valver with Lancaster Insurance. £100 fully comp. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I've been using Lancaster the last few years, but I'm in the process of switching to Adrian Flux with my cars as the prices are comparable and they are both more flexible and cheaper when it comes to alterations.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
jeremyC5
BXpert

Post by jeremyC5 »

Just got a quote for three cars:

Citroen BX19RD 1989
Ford 100E Popular 1961
Triumph Herald 1965

...Footman James: £323.46
6,000 miles limit
C5 x 1
Ford 100E - Red x 2
Herald 12/50 x 1
demag
BXpert

Insurance

Post by demag »

Just had two quotes. One from Lancaster for £896 and one from Adrian Flux £1296! What am I doing wrong? Don't know about getting a Bx I might be reduced to riding a push bike at this rate! All my NCB is on the Berlingo, would that be the problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
jeremyC5
BXpert

Post by jeremyC5 »

demag wrote:Just had two quotes. One from Lancaster for £896 and one from Adrian Flux £1296! What am I doing wrong? Don't know about getting a Bx I might be reduced to riding a push bike at this rate! All my NCB is on the Berlingo, would that be the problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
With these policies, they do not take the NCD into account anyway, so it won't be that !!!

My quote was for 3 old cars, every car you add, adds some extra.
The modern one adds alot to the cost.
You still might be better to insure the modern one separately.

Try first: the three cars that you think are the cheapest, or the three you want on the road most.

Just ask them all the combinations you want, they will try them for you and you'll discover which car is adding the most to the premium.
C5 x 1
Ford 100E - Red x 2
Herald 12/50 x 1
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Indeed. It is surprising what risks certain cars are. Statistics talk to insurers and if there is a steady level of claims on a model of car, it will not be cheap to insure. This has been the case for all the time I have driven. Old system of 7 groups. MG Midget was group 5, the equally as fast MG1300 was group 3. Sports cars are bought by nutters, BMC 1300 by old gits with hats. So we drove BMC1300 and stuff street cred. Nothing has changed.

Age. The young get hammered.

With my quote the Schmitt value costs a bit to insure. The Trooper likewise due to risk. The BX is really about £15 for the paperwork in comparison. If the Trooper were not 25 year old it would have not formed part of the collectors package and have to be done in a differing category of insurance. Insurers do not like mixing stuff. Classic Cars are often exclusive of Classic Commercials or Classic Motorcycles. So you need three vehicles in a matching group and all of older than 25 or all in the younger than 25 but agreed classic group.

Then there is where you live. Population means risk. Rough population means higher risk. You then get hit for not having a locked garage etc. Leaving a Messerschmitt in the Street in Birmingham is going to result in a loss, isn't it?

The claims record is important, not for a discount, but to prove you are a safe risk driver. AF stated they would be checking mine, which is maxed out.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

It can quite often pay to have a rare model when insuring. My GS costs about 2/3rds what a BX 14 or NA diesel costs to insure, despite similar performance, more expensive parts (when you can find them) and greater value. This is almost certainly due to the fact that there's not ben more than 6 GS estates on the road for the last few years, so they have a really good claim record. I read an article on he cheapest cars for new drivers a while back, and they listed the 10 cheapest. These included the Ami 8, some really obscure Fiat, and some special editions of of otherwise common cars (like Minis).
Statistics can also throw up some odd figures - a 2CV special costs more to insure than a Dolly!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
bussell
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bussell »

I pay £160 for my 2cv Special (I didn't know a Dolly was cheaper to insure) and when I added the TZD Turbo my insurance went up £10 for the year, plus a £25 admin fee - that is both cars on agreed value and unlimited mileage - having said which my 2CV only did 600 miles last year and really is the value vehicle when it comes to this policy especially now they are silly money.

Mine live on the road in central Plymouth.

I just wish I could insure the Mercedes for that much - currently over £400 a year
Ed Beech - Bussell

1989 14E Leader
1985 Volkswagen Transporter Camper
1995 Land Rover Defender 110
2021 Audi e-tron Sportback
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Those were both online quotes that I did but I'll make a few phone calls tomorrow so they are fully aware of my circumstances.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I've just reinsured the Honda. £60 tpf&t. I quite like this getting old thing. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
jeremyC5
BXpert

Post by jeremyC5 »

mds141 wrote:I've just reinsured the Honda. £60 tpf&t. I quite like this getting old thing. :)
That's amazingly low, I didn't think you could do that low any more, I thought the admin fees would be more, it must be just £1 for tha actual insurance premium ! :lol:
C5 x 1
Ford 100E - Red x 2
Herald 12/50 x 1
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Hmm, like a £1 flight ticket. By the time booking, airport and tax are paid for it certainly is not a £1. Back to overheads and the effectiveness of keeping them low. Something that seems to have been forgotten by the idiots in charge.

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I don't pay anything :D
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jeremyC5
BXpert

Post by jeremyC5 »

Kitch wrote:I don't pay anything :D
... How come ??

Couldn't see the pic. so I opened the image as a new window and got http://www.fuelly.com." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
What's all that about then ? !
C5 x 1
Ford 100E - Red x 2
Herald 12/50 x 1