Upgrading instruments

BX Tech talk
classicnut5
Confirmed BX'er

Upgrading instruments

Post by classicnut5 »

I have just bought a 1987 RD Break estate and have a non working analogue clock. This irritates me so I have options. Fix clock? Replace with another instrument panel, the same layout? Upgrade, if possible, with one from a TZD/TXD or similar spec? If the latter can it be done is it a pain to do? Can you buy the analogue clocks separate, or even fix the original?
Any ideas gratefully wlcomed
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Upgrading instruments

Post by citsncycles »

The easy option will be to find another dash with a working clock and swap either the clock or the whole dash.

It may be possible to fit a rev counter, but depending on what's fitted to your engine and gearbox it may end up more trouble than it's worth.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Providing you have the correct sized sockets, the instrument panel is easy to get apart. Depending on what has broken in the clock it could be fixable or it might need replacing.

If you want a high spec instrument panel, it depends on how good you wiring skills are. If your good at wiring then it would be very easy, if your bad it would be too much trouble.

For the rev counter you would need a sensor on the engine, the clock & some connecting wires.

For the temp clock you would need a clock & sensor & just alter the existing wires (this is the easiest to do).

For the Oil temp you would need a clock & sensor & a connecting wire. & possibly an adapter plate of some kind for the sensor to screw in to.

For the Oil level/ pressure... it depends; If you already have the level clock, you would need: a clock, a control box (with 6 pins inside) interconnecting wire (5 wires on it, 6 pins), a pressure sensor, a wire & possibly an adaptor plate.

IF you don't have the level clock then don't bother with that, its way too much trouble & they are very unreliable anyway. Just wire in a pressure clock. You need another clock motor (out of your old instrument panel, the fuel gauge one will work fine). You need the pressure sensor (as above) & assuming the instrument panel your using doesn't have the contacts on the PCB hole-punched (basic ones don't, the rest do), disassemble your clock & put the other motor where the original oil clock was (they are internally different so don't work otherwise), & reassemble. Then put the sensor in the engine (again you might need an adaptor plate), It needs 1 wire running from this to position 2 of plug 4 of your instrument panel.

Or If you REALLY wanted the level/ pressure clock, Disregard the bit above & you would need everything mentioned for "if you already have the level clock", Plus a oil level sensor, more wires, Small flexible long arms & a bucket of swear words!

It sounds complicated in writing, but to see it, it all makes sense.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
classicnut5
Confirmed BX'er

Post by classicnut5 »

Thanks for that. I will have to look for a replacement clock I think. The rest sounds like extremely fiddly work, beyond my skills. Do you know where I can source a clock please? I cant see how to remove the clock assembly, I presume its attached from the rear?
Russ
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

classicnut5 wrote:Thanks for that. I will have to look for a replacement clock I think. The rest sounds like extremely fiddly work, beyond my skills. Do you know where I can source a clock please? I cant see how to remove the clock assembly, I presume its attached from the rear?
Russ
Hi Russ,
I have one available PM sent !

:)