xantia heater fan

BX Tech talk
citroen7
BXpert

xantia heater fan

Post by citroen7 »

yes i know it is not our beloved bx but i see quite a few members have xantias and was wondering if any problems had occurred with the heater fan and what advice on trying to fix it also my fan will not run unless the engine is running is this correct?
i have already fitted one new fan unit and it did work on and of for a while but now nothing .
any help would be welcome.
p.s. its a 97 1.9td with air con.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

thanks alan as always a mind of information of down the motorfactors as soon as finished work.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

just to up date you now we are back in line followed alans link which lead a couple of other places with drawings etc .It turned out that the contacts on the switch were u/s so borrowed a supply from the other ingnition outlet and hey presto! total cost £5 and an hour of my time.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You may be well advised to install a relay in the new power supply to take the extra load off the ignition switch contacts. These switches have a reputation for failing (admittedly long after their design life I expect) but as the heater is a heavy current device the switch will now probably overheat when the fan is used.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

have fitted relay just nicked the supply to energise it so hopefully it will last now.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

The fag lighter is the most common source of a bit of HD power supply.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

I just followed anders advice in your link to use the supply from the grey plug as long as it gets wifey of my back it must be a result!!