central locking puzzle

BX Tech talk
citsncycles
Over 2k

central locking puzzle

Post by citsncycles »

Timex's central locking started playing up this weekend, and not the usual refusal to work at all.

From locked, the doors unlock, but not the tailgate. When you try to lock it the front doors lock but not the rears. If unlocked the rear lock buttons are hard to push down (pushing the locking motors I guess). If you push the buttons down after trying to lock the car with the keys they're easy.

Up until Saturday morning it was all working - the above (including the tailgate) all stopped working together. Dunno if this is coincidence or if a single issue is causing all this.

Any hints out there on what to check?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
citronut
Over 2k

Re: central locking puzzle

Post by citronut »

my TZD the rear doors dont operate at all with the central locking, both front doors and the tail gate work fine
i havent investigated it yet

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
David
BXpert

Post by David »

I'm not sure about the tailgate lock, But the others will probably need the motors replacing. Mine used to do that on the rear doors, Although mine normally stayed locked & wouldn't unlock & would be very stiff. I also had the same problem with the drivers door & it would go stiff & refuse to lock or unlock. After all the locks were replaced its been fine since. It might also be worth cleaning the contacts on the connectors to the locks.
Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

This sounds like the effect you get when having a low battery. If the battery is good and starts the car, then it's likely there are dirty connectors in the wiring chain which are preventing sufficient current being passed.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I had various issues until I went through the system cleaning up contacts. I still have a lazy o/s rear door which does not unlock half the time.
The central locking did not work on the rear three doors when my rear door was mis aligned. Turned out the lock mounting was broken before I bought it. I repaired this with two bolts and a block of whittled wood. Readjusted and the door works perfectly, indeed unlike most it does not jiggle either. This was before I cleaned the system so no definite issue can be proved beyond poor connections.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Sounds like I'm pulling the door cards off this week, especially as I have the wiring for the driver's window to fix too!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

With the constant up/down and slamming of the tail gate, strip off the boot door cards and check all the wiring as far back to to roof as you can, i once had a bx16 estate which rear wiper had a mind of its own, would come on for no reason, was down to a broken wire in the rubber sleeving by the roof.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Has this started happening since all the welding around the windscreen? Any chance that something has been damaged, maybe the central locking control unit?

I currently have a similar problem with mine as the passenger side front door lock is sticking, it will usually lock, but once the pin is down for that door, it has to be manually pulled up. I've ordered a new motor from a guy on eBay that has them listed at £18 but is very much open to cheeky offers!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Rutter - that's my plan with the tailgate, which has the added fun of the wiring having been chopped at the roof where that tailgate has been changed. I hope to totally redo this area when I get round to fitting tailgate number 3, as the wiring colours for mk1's and 2's is different and I'm not convinced the right wires are connected. I also have the original (damaged) tailgate so may try to strip the wiring out of that to re use.

Vanny - these central locking issues have started since the welding, but there's a good reason why this isn't the cause - it's a different car! :lol: Good suggestion though otherwise.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

To be honest Mike, given the amount of work you seem to do and the size of your fleet, i struggle to keep up. I do enjoy the updates though.

The motor i got from ebay is this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121223491204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is the dual connector one so will fit either side
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

on my TZD its both rear doors dont function with the central locking, and they appeared to both faul at the same time,

i was looking at the circuit diagram today, it looks like both rear doors and tail gate share the same wires from the control unit,

so shot of breaks in the wires in both rear door shuts i cant see out else it could be

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Hi Malcolm, I suspect you've got the answer there. I've seemingly managed to cure both the central locking issues and the recent suspension maladies by changing the front tyres! I suspect there's a long standing wiring issue with the central locking anyway, as it often fails completely after a spell of wet weather.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

if the doors have ever been off it's likely the wires have got nicked being pulled through the grommet hole.. the metal edge is sharp and the citroen insulation very easily cut.. I had to repair slits in all mine after battling with the door..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

The front's have been changed, and I'll be changing them all once Fred's on the road.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

well i never,

the O/S rear the slave unit were unplugged, spoz i mustered knocked the plug when trying to bash the dent out of the door,

the N/S rear was a combination of the lock mechanism being dry and binding, and the slave unit that side playing up, fitted a second hand one all functioning againg,

now wer'z me central locking plip

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have