BX excess, can it be a success?

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: BX excess, can it be a success?

Post by Thread Bear »

Not had a chance to play with Gary as yet. So driving slowly about. To much else to do. Like today was bring back 5 cars day. From old to new house, some 5 miles. Degree of difficulty, variable. First up was what we thought would be the most difficult. The dead TZD. In fact it did not ground badly going on but weirdly did coming off on a beneficial gradient, One can only assume the movement on the trailer bottomed out the suspension completely. Anyway some wood packing and three men pushing at speed got it off.
Egbert had to be moved right round the rear before the TZD could be put next to it. So a half an hour blitz on crap left in the way and done. The Borgward Van followed next trip, refusing to start. No diesel or foul diesel. Heavier than the BX.
I had been tackling Miguel, automatic remember, in the garage and got the ignition to once again work rather than be inert from a switching issue. This car had run perfectly but only agreed to again with the old battery removed -dead - and no jump leads on. So duff jumpers again. Need rebuilding for a third time. Once supplied with full current Miguel was keen to go, Might be worth a swift ticket and use as a second car for a bit so Gary can have some time in the air for bearing/bushing checks and possibly a clutch.
Then it was moving a stripped out Alfetta. This proved the one that was difficult. Only by getting Homer going and wedging it in the gap round the rear of the house to tow the Alfa would it move, and only then at the edge of grip. Once freed up a bit one inner disc needed battering and it rolled painfully behind Homer to within reach of the winch. Getting it off was no easier but managed it was rush back to bung a running but hemorrhaging LHM Homer onto the trailer before dark and rain arrived together. Cheapo GSF strut return strikes again! So a reshuffle of the garage and Homer is waiting to go in. Should be LHM pipe check, exhaust and a fuel tank strap for MOT. We will see. Miguel clearly has potential for an early MOT too. So some additional benefits in the moving as two cars back running again in some kind of known condition.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Shuffling things around a little I had a chance to have a fiddle with the reinvigorated Miguel, 1.6 Auto. I am still not entirely certain what I did that resolved its ignition/starter circuit from preventing starting. Clearly there is a switch on the gearbox to prevent starting in drive. However I am more suspicious of an alarm system key switch for which I have no key. If it is like the one we had on the Pug 405 its a plip job which prevents the car starting. I have no problem if it remains off and inert. However if it is able to arm itself when it feels like it, the car is going to be useless.

Getting passed that it needs very little for the road. As was reported at the time of sale the spheres are shot away. I am tempted to go and get a set and pop it in for an MOT. If it passes it can do second car duties and trips to town. That will let me have a look at Gary who needs a front suspension bush/bearing check up and resultant new parts fitted. I can get his waiting strut fitted too. Ideally I would be MOTing Homer but I think Miguel is nearer the road. Besides as these can be collectors cars the insurance is negligible on multiples, so Homer can be done later.

Another benefit is if I have to move a car on it will be much better for all if it is MOTed and running reliably. All these cars are to good to scrap, I have the ability to get them going where as other have not or time/budget is unavailable. The 1.4, Pluto remains available should anyone be desirious.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

A sunny day at last. A rush to repair the garage roof, which had had something blown into it, holing it, and then allowing the wind to strip off several sections of 'cement' panels overnight :evil:. Annoying as this garage is due to be moved and rebuilt in a differing format, so I was reluctant to repair it using money. It is therefore cobbled together in best Welsh farming tradition, with several blocks to hold it down. Will not be water proof but at least it will allow me to work :roll:.

Then a rush to get Gary in the air and check his vitals. The rubbers have all failed on the steering and CV joints. I loaded the joints with much of a tin of grease, as I have not the time to tackle these issues now. However knowing they need doing, I can ready the parts for swap, and read up on the steering options. Having got that far I went into greasy service mode and lubed most things in site with appropriate libations. The engine itself is happily oil tight :) .

A weakening LHM pump was suspected, so having got another one spare with the GTI, I elected to try that on to see if there was an improvement. Yes there are water ingress probs but the soggy handling and dead feel had to have more to it than that. The fan belt likewise got the treatment. The very poor condition upper timing belt cover jerry rigged from the change last year was finally swapped. Do you think I could find the clip put aside for this return to standard. Or the spare ones. Or the ones that should have been on the other cars. Still a good turn out that bought most BX bits to one place. I settled for finally finishing rebuilding the bumper and refitting the central insert in front of the radiator on plaz bonnet style, only missing for about 6 months. I remembered this was because I never finished uprating the headlights, so did that too #-o .

On round the car in a flurry of maintenance put off over the appalling weather. Finally at 5 o'clock it was time for a run to check everything round the block. A different car, back with the poise and smoothness. Very rewarding 8) . However no new jobs have been tackled so a load to do still, speedo, reversing lights, heater valve, ride hight adjustment etc etc. Nasty bit of rust appeared under the bot of the passenger side front screen too. Need nipping in the bud :cry: .

Partially clearing out Miguel of BX bits I was able to check out what needs doing. Not a lot from the point of view of static tests. So get bits ordered next week and an MOT booked. One thing I never got to the bottom of on this car was if it has a choke control. If it has I cannot see it. It starts OK but is racing pretty quickly suggesting a need for adjustment. Need to see if I can find my stash of ATF fluid. What is the betting I have all but the correct type, Dexron 11, I believe. All that looking for controls found one of the Gary's missing clips for the timing belt cover under the pedals. Daft place to put it :oops: !

If the 1.6 Auto can be got running it can do second car duty and allow Gary to have his naughty bits changed, the strut swapped, a clutch and several other long standing niggles sorted out. Then it has to be time to check out Homer. He probably becomes excess to requirements, but I will get him going nicely before I decide, despite a probable loss of dosh. I might hate the Auto.

Amazing what a bit of sun, a drink of coffee in the lee of the house at elevenses listening to twitterpating birds and happy frolicking dalmatians larking about while you work can do. Motivated to get something done =D> .

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Gary upheld BX pride in being the perfect support vehicle for a task removing the superseded wood library shelves from the Stack at Rutherford Appleton Labs on Wed. There were over 40 6ft 6in units so a Luton had been hired, but we needed a pallet truck, sack truck, tools and bodies to achieve a result in the time allotted in a security zone. The Luton on hire had several tasks to do to pay for its use leaving me to move everything ready for the main event awaiting to meet up with the Luton in the South carpark up at Harwell campus. No probs.

The contractors had not fulfilled their part of the task so it turned into a marathon 12 hour job to get these units away to the Mushy shed for storage 20 miles away. They are being split between our gang with me having 15, I can at last start to create a library in the spare room that I always fancied. Might yet have a model railway layout integrated with it. The BX returned fuller than it arrived as extras were scrounged, not least a quantity of tough cardboard containers suitable for cleaner spares and bits and bobs. They fit the shelves for width too, in a multiple lot. The bulk left are earmarked for the Trojan Trust. Bargain

Also used this Luton to move the ex CX 2.5 turbo diesel engine/gearbox and ancillories in one lump from the old house to the new. The tail lift was not to keen but managed. Heavy thing, yet it still managed to skid back on its pallet into the shutter door. So had to repair that to avoid a surcharge from the rental company. I do not know if I will ever fit this to the Talbot Freeway 3 axle bus but it would be a brilliant transporter/camper/service barge.

BX Estate, it eats loads and still drives as if its only got a few mates in it. Brilliant.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Miguel, the 1.6 Auto, is booked for MOT on Wednesday. Having fixed the battery charger thrown to the floor by a chum helping me move I can do some circuit and bumps today on a charged battery. Something not really very possible from the old house. However everything checks out, so its effectively a very thorough service and see what we find. Hopefully once proven then Gary will gain a gap for some serious maintenance. The a well priced old Trooper has turned up and might make a good utility. That would alter the pecking order a bit as I would no longer need an Estate.

I fitted the replacement air filter lid and induction. I can see why it broke. More insubstantial design, rather nasty. If the car is staying that needs a mod or two to get the best out of it. Also found the speedo cable in two ends and the remains of another attached to the head end. Suggests another dead speedo, that makes three cables required and convinces me the original design is pants. Need to check out the head end, look in the box of misc and see what can be done.

Had a quick look at Pluto, the 1.4, not much matches actually. Even less of a reason to keep it. I think an MOT and marketing might be in line for that car.

bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

Have you got any pics of your 16v please 8).

Mark
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

There were some on the thread/EBay associated to its advertising and then my buying it. It is not really in a good place to take pics at the moment. However the decks clear slowly and it might get let out in a few months. More interested in sorting out a couple of cars I do not want to make space for the ones staying.

Took Miguel out for a run. The suspension is non existent. Remarkable, but hopefully sorted on Monday with new spheres. The adjuster is seized up so a crawl required. Drives well otherwise save for the engine. It will not drop down to a sensible rev range. Cannot see a choke control, manual or otherwise. I am assuming the second cable to the gearbox is something to do with kickdown. Need to swat up on this set up.

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If original, and like my 19 set up, the choke is controlled by a black box on the side of the carb - think it's full of wax and from memory possibly water heated, but there's other here that know more about these things!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Citrobatics day yesterday. The spheres were easier to do than Garys. Despite probably being on there 25 years. Suggests that Gary's were tweaked up beyond hand power or by Geoff Capes. One had failed, so I have now experienced a cetaceanian sphere. The difficulty was to then bleed the accumulator out as the height adjuster assembly was seized. So it was expedient to do the height adjustment. This proved reluctant to come back to life and ate up the remaining light left so the rear spheres are yet to be done.
With the ability to get more fluid moving around, the suspension came back to life. So far without any apparent issues other than being a bit creaky. A drive round the block proved that the ride was there at the front. In doing this I got the engine good and warm. The tick over in Park is about 1,500 rpm but in neutral it is about 900 rpm. That seems a lot of drag. The car does not creep at tick over in drive either, it is at walking speed. Seems something is not set up right. Maybe a bit of use and fluids will bring better harmony. Though I cast jaundiced eyes at the auto choke thing, as it has a box attached to the carb as you suggest. I never yet had an auto choke that was better than a manual one.
Needless to say it is wet today. No rolling on the floor. Have to go and get the 1989 Trooper this afternoon. It is nigh on immaculate. So utility ticked off the box. Sadly that will knock on to the BX stash as Homer is now not required. See about an MOT there so he gets driven not broken. Needs an exhaust mostly.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Miguel passed his MOT with no advisories. Good solid car underneath, as you would expect of a low usage car. Good time to catch the body. So having had a look under the car there is work to do to improve things. Chief issue remains the tick over which has not improved and the car drives accordingly. So a carb/choke issue to read up on. The sunroof needs to be sorted out with the bits obtained the other week. That needs the garage so will have to wait. It is not sunroof weather yet anyway. Promises to be a good car with the right treatment.

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Congrats!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Further fettling on Miguel with the fluid changed in the LHM system. Took it out for a spin. The handling is very good now and the ride soft. Need to chase other fluids and resolve the carb issue which seems maladjustment. A nice car.

Just finished prepping next bedroom for insulated wood flooring over next week. Over half way now. Nice day so managed to rebuild one shed square at last. So now the roof fits and next week sometime I can re felt it. The other shed was spruced up. I re glazed both from old glass lying around. So a wood shed and a stash for the stuff bunging up my garage. Progress at last!

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

The Solex autochoke issue on my 16 was primarily the diaghram inside the '4 screw black box' end going almost completely stiff. Be careful in there, it unscrews fine, the diaghram with the nylon? plunger integrated is almost impossible to change without snapping the plastic but the other one with a long metal L shape on it you can change. It is only visible after removing the large black air box on the side, 2 screws and then the choke mechanism. Note left hand thread nut ie with a groove round the centre of the hex (why are they not all like this?) so you can get the assembly apart. The diaghrams are available if you hunt on fleabay or with the expensive but very good carb refurb kit still available.
Of course if you have a Weber it may be different. Manual choke conversion kits are still available btw.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I am no great fan of Solex. However I was reasonably pleased to find this car has a Weber. I have cycled it through cold to hot a few times and it is now heating up in good time. Still another back flush to do as it was very cruddy. The choke mech is clearing the carb levers. So there is either a prob within the carb, less likely as it is running rich, and normally within the jets and stuff its running weak due to blockages, or the adjustment is out. What has slightly confused me is the complex of stuff attached to the cold running, which the throttle seems to not be connected to. So I need to study a diagram or two just in case a spring or link has gone absent without leave. That would do it too.
Once we have the car settling to a reasonable tick-over it has more chance to show me how it drives. The handling is great and after all the groveling its quiet. Height adjuster needs another go as it is still stiff at the front. Hard to get at the business end. The remaining issue is to remove and sort out the sunshine roof. Hopefully the damage is not to the point where it will have to be sealed shut permanently. It is the appeal of having the extras not on all smaller petrol cars that makes the car pleasurable. Windows all good - oh must lub them up some more.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Very little activity on BX as I had damaged my lymphless leg on a nail, then having been unwell as a result, the cold bug was able to break my defenses. Hence irascible postings. Getting fit again. :)

Helped my Austin Healey Sprite Mk2 mate rebuild his garage roof yesterday. So that got the Trooper moving. Not without several issues as seen elsewhere. Suffice to say the professional electrical work has been done to substandard quality, or just plane wrong. So need to go through the electrics to find what is draining the battery over two weeks. :roll:

I have to prep an Invacar for sale off, and need to get a Messerschmitt sorted, as I have American TV filming here next Friday in my capacity of Bubblecar big bonce 8) . Normally I refuse these invites, but this lot seem to be attempting to educate and make programs that entertain, as well as interest car restorers/classic owners. So a director who hopefully will not perpetuate silly nonsense like Top Gear. See Reliant turning over which proved to difficult for JC and had to have a Robin with miss matched wheel sizes to destabilize it :^o . Bubblecars have no reverse and you cannot get out. Yes they do and that's why they have sunshine roofs, or demountable plexiglass screens, in extremis. Pillocks >>^ . So I choose not to play with the directors on a mission to be crass.

BX land has Gary still working and using about £3 of LHM a week, as I never get round to resolving it and he is so useful. He has had half a wash, at last, and has stopped turning green. The alternative was to find him some red shorts and drive him in a very angry way! Don't make me angry..... :mrgreen:
Miguel, the Auto, has had several tuning sessions but the adjustment still alludes me. There seems no logic to it. In static use the car has consumed over a gallon of fuel yet I can see no leak. So is this fuel just being pumped through the carb? Seems unlikely. The only other option is a pin hole vaporizing the fuel and almost creating an osmosis effect. I have had that before and found greasing the fuel feed pipework located the area, as it gets cold. The alarm rubbish has been removed, cheap parts leading to failure. :?
So do I take this carb apart. For the price of a gasket set, which seems to be over £40, I think, I am more inclined to get another out of the scrap and bin this one, after pulling it apart to see how it works. Basically over complication, and no doubt some diaphragm to stop smells on Tuesdays will be what is wrong. Stick an SU on it and no worries. Downdrafts are little more than a series of controlled fuel leaks on a crap manifold on many cars, I have found. Not a fan. :x

Can you still buy Reece Fish / Minnow Fish carbs. They admitted this and made a really simple carb that got good performance. Not very economical though. Had a Mini with Fish on. Very quick. Waiting for my mate to get his 7 port A series Weslake head with quad Amals going. =P~ I think he is frightened of it.