Time to give up the daily drive ?

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Time to give up the daily drive ?

Post by Tim Leech »

Mulleys blog is a point, his TXD was a great car bit eventually rust and miles killed it off which all bx's will go that way if used every day in all weathers. Nothing lasts for ever.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Gary wrote: I do have a TXD Turbo that I am in the process of putting back on the road but the same will apply to this car .
So do I just keep driving them and hope for the best or buy some boring more modern car to use every day? (I cant think of any thing that i would like)
After 27 years of having a BX as a daily drive it is hard to make the decision .
Any thoughts / ideas on what I should do?
Keep using the Meteor as an everyday car and if for some drastic reason anything does happen to it you still have the TXD to replace it. Cars are made for using and do not like being parked up. They rot like hell if not used unless you're going to keep it in a heated garage. Parts are still readily available and if we all stopped using them nobody would stock replacement parts at all as there wouldn't be a market for them. BX's will never be a greatly sort after Classic Citroen or a valuable classic so no point in wrapping it up like the family jewels or paying for expensive storage. Keep using it and enjoy.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Tim Leech wrote:Mulleys blog is a point, his TXD was a great car bit eventually rust and miles killed it off which all bx's will go that way if used every day in all weathers. Nothing lasts for ever.
I have to slightly disagree with you there.
We have been going over Mulleys car with a fine toothed comb & it turns out its not the miles that have killed the engine; its the thermostat. It was jammed shut.
As for the rust; it looks like it hasn't been undersealed in a long time so the rust has got its foot in it & eaten it. If you regularly remove salt & redo the underseal that should keep the rust away, if not occasionally requiring a little welding here & there.

As others have said just keep on top of the maintenance & enjoy your BX.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

A guy I know has the right idea I think with his VW Splitscreen camper, which is used as a daily drive all year round. He's not short of cash so could probably afford a new vehicle, but his logic is just to put aside what he'd lose in depreciation and book it in for a restoration every 5 years or so. Obviously it helps to have the panels available, unlike the BX...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Paul296 wrote:I'd agree with Kevan if the only value of a car was its utility value, but if the only value of a car is its utility value why would you own a BX in the first place? They're all 20 odd years old now, hell bent on rotting away and if you don't assiduously keep on top of the maintenance they will break down - with monotonous regularity! The answer to purely practical daily motoring is not a BX - there are far more sensible solutions
I would be interested in a viable alternative to the BX TZD area spec which has no silly ECU nonsense, can be home maintained, is comfortable, can carry huge amounts of crap and is very economical and cheap to buy. That equation was why I ended up as owner of a BX - in preference to the more normal but more expensive to run, lower spec Pug 405, an undoubtedly tough and good car. Perhaps this is a differing thread. What is thought to be the BX's close competitor in the cheap car to run everyday stakes? I think it is a hard act to beat.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Gary wrote:So do I just keep driving them and hope for the best or buy some boring more modern car to use every day?
Thread Bear wrote:What is thought to be the BX's close competitor in the cheap car to run everyday stakes?
Interesting question. I bought the Focus as a car to run through the winter (and also having a 'modern' insured meant it was easier to get classic insurance on the BX). That fits the bill in many ways as the fuel costs are similar, parts are available off the shelf, and plenty in scrapyards so used bits are cheap. The BX estate is a clear winner on loadspace though.

Mine has been reliable and needed very little, but for my requirements is not ideal as it is rather low. I've already taken out the undertray, damaged the front bumper, holed the radiator and damaged the AC condenser on our track. Plus the two occasions I've had to dig myself out of the snow have been because I've beached myself. With adjustable suspension, or something higher I would have been able to drive out.

Trouble is, anything higher is going to be thirstier which is why I avoid using the Disco every day! I'm actually wondering along the lines of an early (L series) Freelander though, as they don't rust and I don't mind sorting electrical problems...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

TizzyD wrote:@Kitch: How much for BAH??? :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Freelander?! That'd be brave! Regardless of which engine is fitted, the transmission still seems very capable of sh*tting itself. About £800 to replace a duff viscous unit and IRD. You can get a Berlingo in jacked-up form. I would have thought that would be a better bet.

It is difficult to find another car that ticks as many boxes as a BX estate. My Subaru Legacy was a nice car, but seriously thirsty and no more ground clearance than any other estate. Was pretty epic in the snow though.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I think it all depends on the individual car. Timex is a rare old beast, but the last year has proved not the only one in use, and is so rough that any car park dings are as likely to straighten something out as bend it. It's running round with another engine in the back at the moment, and does the commute, although that's shared with the motorbike.

Fred, although probably as rare as Timex, is possibly the least valuable of models, a 17RD. There's lots of work to do, plus swapping in the engine currently sat in Timex, and will probably alternate daily driver duties with Timex for the foreseable future.

Mitch is a different matter - despite the time off the road, it's in very good condition, inside, outside and underneath. being a 4x4, parts availability is probably worse than the rest of the range, so fixing it will be a bigger challenge when I break it. Because of the condition and spec, this motor will only be used occasionally.

I plan to be able to run BX's as daily transport for at least a decade, before probably moving onto a late Xantia (prices permitting). Mind you, this is someone who only stopped using a GS as daily transport a couple of years ago!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I think the major problem is rear subframe mounts. It's certainly my biggest concern. Sills and other common BX rot spots aren't quite so scary in terms of repair. It's credit to the cars that it's only fairly recently that this has become a problem. Not bad for a car launched over 30 years ago! However, this thread has inspired me to stop doom-mongering and just keep BXing! I don't think mine is one that will be around in decades to come, but it'll do grand duty until it expires.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Dollywobbler wrote:I think the major problem is rear subframe mounts. It's certainly my biggest concern. Sills and other common BX rot spots aren't quite so scary in terms of repair. It's credit to the cars that it's only fairly recently that this has become a problem. Not bad for a car launched over 30 years ago! However, this thread has inspired me to stop doom-mongering and just keep BXing! I don't think mine is one that will be around in decades to come, but it'll do grand duty until it expires.
See that all makes perfect sense to me.....except that I can't help but feel that being old now (and regarded as a classic by a select few) leads to me taking pity on a BX. Yours is what, E reg? It's an old car and looks well enough in the photos. I think I'd feel bad not making efforts to make sure it is around in years to come. It's one of the reasons I was thinking of finding the estate a new home a while back - I felt bad subjecting it to daily use, as it had got quite far (you see cars from 2001 being regarded as scrap all the time).

Not sure if any of that makes sense to anyone else in the slightest, but they're my thoughts! Plus if I use the 16v daily, I just worry about where I've left it. I've only got a single car drive (and a garage, but it's a PITA to move cars to get something in and out of it) and I give my missus priority as she's often got the kids in tow. My area's not even a rough one (no lock on the shed, cars are unlocked on the road half of the time!) but I worry about someone dinging into it. I know I don't worry where I (literally) dump the Picasso :lol:

That all said, I'm using the 16v as a daily at the moment. It's sat outside in the pissing rain as I type and I just used it to run to the petrol station and back with a load of jerry cans, so it sticks of petrol inside now too. :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Having studied the corrosion issues on several previous BX's IMHO the rear subframe mount corrosion is linked to the rear sill corrosion which is linked to the mud trap behind the rear spats where it all starts. If you keep this mud trap clear, waxoil the area with regular monitoring the the rust should be kept at bay on a car that is currently clear. Finding a BX that hasn't already got this corrosion behind the spats and rear sill is the best bet to keep one as a long term everyday car.
On my TZD I totally cleaned out the area behind the spats that captures the mud, made sure it was all dry before completely filling the area with a one pack sealant adhesive using near enough a full tube on each side. This has eliminated this mud trap / rust home completely and will hopefully allow me to easily run the car for many more years as a daily driver. The front inner wings and scuttle panel under the washer bottles are regularly monitored too and sealed with waxoil. As for the mechanicals they are brilliant with very simple maintenance required. I use genuine parts when available to help maintain the bomb proof reliability.
No costly ECU remaps and plug ins required just simple home maintenance. I'm not familiar with the petrol variants but I know many on here consider them reliable too so I personally don't see why any BX if maintained properly (including rust prevention) can't be used as an everyday car for years to come.
The only problem I can foresee as a possible problem is any future alterations to emissions legislation making our cars illegal to use on the road.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Gary
BXpert

Post by Gary »

Thanks for the reply's , interesting reading on how we view the use / worth of our BX's .
I will still be using it everyday for now and then possibly share the daily chores with the TXD and possibly change the route to work, as there are some very wide cars with clueless drivers ( or drivers without a license ) around the back streets of Luton who appear not to know where the centre of the road is or give a crap if they force you out of the way.
I know that the BX will never be worth a lot of money but I would like to keep it in the best condition I can hence the idea of using it less.
Thank's again for everyone's input .
1992 BX GTi Hurricane x2
1991 BX Meteor 1.9d
1993 BX TXD Turbo, Ice blue
1987 Visa GTi
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

kevan - can you explain where these rear spats are ..."the mud trap behind the rear spats where it all starts"
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Basically just above the back end of the sill behind the plastic spats, this is also where the rust in the rear door shuts develops from. Best bet is to take off your rear wheel and look forward in the wheel well then all will become apparent. The mud /road grime collects in here and becomes a permanent damp sponge. a compressed air blow gun is an ideal tool for cleaning and drying it out.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202