BX excess, can it be a success?

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: BX excess, can it be a success?

Post by Thread Bear »

Non BX action.

The Trooper is now running correctly but I need a trip to get some proper sized terminals to be certain of the alarm feeds and connections. I need to track down the source of a drain to the battery. I suspect the after market systems as all were mounted by a colour blind geezer with no aptitude for auto electrics, beyond a need for money.

Such is the mechanical condition of the car it drives well. The rejuvenated, if unfinished, trailer is hardly noticed, but for the jangle of its permanent ramps. Like a Tiger hunt following the elephant after driving a BX. But it means the BX should never need to tow an excessive weight. Many a BX has been overloaded as the suspension hides the fact and the engines, and powered brakes, will take it. It was this that probably did for my old green car as much as anything. The Trooper, Drooper, is already showing its ability to just plod along ignoring a load. Sure, it can go quick, but it uses a lot of fuel. In plod mode it is pleasant and not ridiculously expensive to run for twice the weight of a TZD Estate, with no more room.

So off we went to glorious money scented Ramsbury, Wilts, to collect a barn find Messerschmitt KR200. Sledgehammer to crack a nut. Anyway we arrived as the hunt or point to point was finishing, so the men all wanted pics of shiny Drooper and the county seats wanted pictures of the Schmitt. I do like horsey ladies, so some banter there. The barn owner, Ian, is a top notch Hillclimbing driver, so quick look at his toys ended in a statement of interest from him in my Scootacar - he used to get up on the pennines in one, to go potholing with his chum. I was busy falling in love with his MG Magnette ZB, modified. So could be more happening there. The Schmitt actually belonged to another well know personage, ex rally driver and football club chairman. So well connected folk, indeed.

Messerschmitt is to be gone through and put to the road this week. Not least as it might be being filmed for Discovery channel next Friday, when they visit. A much simpler car to check out than a BX, as you can imagine. So fun is returning to my life after a long old grind to get away from family hassles and into the now less run down house.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Many a BX has been overloaded as the suspension hides the fact and the engines, and powered brakes, will take it.
Indeed: the 4x4 that's now back in the West Country with Mikey came all the way to Woking courtesy of my BX. With the trailer weight at around 700Kg the overall weight was a tad over the legal limit and it was "interesting" to drive :D but as you say - it took it without any real problems apart from the climb from the M5 up to the A4-whatever screaming its nuts off in first holding up an artic with more gears and much more power.

On another subject - I've seen elsewhere your interest in veg / off gird static engines etc - an interest we share. Chatted with the local chippy the other day to see if any WVO would be spare and the answer was an emphatic "no". They now get paid for their waste veg oil and they have to account for its safe removal. Do you know of any other sources of waste veg oil ?
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Could that be the A419 to Swindon? If so its the dreaded Birdlip. A regular killer of the overloaded or under cooled. The new road takes an easier gradient than old Birdlip Hill, which is in the top ten steepest in England, I believe. I have done this climb in many a machine but the best is a well running Messerschmitt, as once breasted the road is effectively downhill for 15 miles. Reward. :D. I have cruised down there at approaching 70 mph in a KR200 8) . Highly entertaining as mimsers feel they must overtake the bubblecar, as it will be going slow. The look on there faces when they need to do 80 mph to go past in any order is amusing, as is re overtaking them, as they fail to maintain speed. Better is the surprise of the brain dead doing 50bonk as they get a buzzing noise in there right ear and you nip past :o . My pleasures are simple.

Source of free oil, no. I am aware you need to contract to remove and maintain a reliable relationship. The fact is to create quality fuel out of used cooking oil is not as cheap as is made out. It also involves investment in equipment, though savings can be made by using scrap domestic products. There are chemicals to purchase and hours labour to include. There will be differing quantity amounts to match the way the conversion is done. Clearly a big operation is going to be cheaper. I think unless you can be certain of securing long term sources of used oil this method is out.

You can use it filtered but the acid, water and crude will screw your engine and fuel system early.

Small scale conversion of fresh veggie is feasible as the preparatory element of cleaning and removing the excess water need not be done. However this really is only a dividend if you are mixing the home made product with mineral oil diesel. This is because you converted the veggie to mix with the diesel, rather than form an emulsion, or colloid, I forget which. If you have a generator there is no reason it cannot run on pure clean veggie. Not quite so easy with a vehicle, as it will go outside and be subject to temperature extremes. A static tank and pipe supply can be lagged and have an immersion heater in it to take the veggie up to a temperature that will flow. Coconut oil needs to be at above 14 degrees to flow well, so vehicles so fueled have heated fuel tanks, yet is one of the best naturally formulated fuels to burn through an ICE.

So for home use I think veggie can be used direct. If that is near half price, great. But of course red, if it remains, and heavy heater fuel, will work and are on less duty than diesel. So there is a choice to be made.

For a car, I think a home-brew of % might be the order of the day. Now if you are making your own energy via low grade generation then you have a source of heat to be modifying veggie to actually mix with your diesel. More efficient than attempting to collect it in storage or feeding it into the grid over and above a standard sized package because the fiscal system never measures the real amount you feed in. It calculates an average based on your specs. Who makes the calculation? The buying cartel. Well call me a cynic, but they have every reason not to be honest in that process, do they not? So making a low grade fuel into a higher grade fuel is probably a better use of low grade generation than attempting to sell it. It is a way of storing it, backing your battery array up.

I have proved none of the above but it would seem to work out on paper. If fuel prices rise it becomes more efficient but for the fact that the producers of veggie oil now mark the oil prices, loosely. Likewise I feel certain that the vested interests have removed the availability of free used chip oil from the public to protect their margins and taxation take. I suspect much of this is cleaned, and directly burned, scoring green points with the Gov clipboards, offsetting Carbon points into the bargain. All bollocks, of course, its about money supply in returns, not being green. If it were green then why are we effectively prevented from being individually green.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Many years ago I started getting stuff together to process decent quantities for personal use and my first BX was already running very well on 95% veg and 5% unleaded - then the government started changing the goalposts faster than I could be bothered to respond so nothing came of it. Then I moved house and left most of the stuff behind.

Now I'd be happy to get a small but very cheap supply for backup generation if neccessary and for direct use as a heating oil in a specially designed boiler. I'm not so fussed about using it in the car though that would be good if it worked out. Stuff I'm designing / updating for the house - lighting / controls is now all 12v or compatible in preparation for it to be driven by locally charged batteries.

Yes I'm sure it was the A419 - it's a lot straighter now than it used to be when I used to use it to cut the corner off to the west midlands - M4 / A419 / M5.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

12v is great over short distances. Lot of bits that work 12v.

I cannot find a good quote for coal online. Seems those who trade in it do not do the web. I had thought to go back to a coal powered range and generate my own electricity. Be great to tell the utilities to push off. Though with a roof array it might pay to remain connected. Anyway the likelihood of being able to be self sufficient is effectively removed buy Gov control. To have a good windmill requires planning unless I can get round it by using an upright one driving and shaft down to a bottom mounted generator set. A much lighter structure and I think possibly better set up for using scrap car parts in place of very expensive pole mounted generators.

If a suitable set up can be created/made at sensible prices then a relook at moving to a more remote part of Briton becomes possible as power, thus water, can be got cheaply. My lifestyle is movable. I have enough skills to be of value in a remote community. Never know.

Trouble is loads to do, clear up and get rid off before I can really concentrate on such ideas. The way big brother intrudes might well see me go though. I really do not buy much of this modern lifestyle and I hope the Buddhists are wrong as I do not want to come back.

Yep sounds like the A419. A great road but it carves up the Cotswolds.

electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrieus_wind_turbine

I used to know it as the Darrieus Windvane - thare are versions of the design that change the amount that the vanes stick out - effectively changing the amount of airflow the vanes respond to - effectively a wind gearbox. The vanes don't need to occupy so much horizontal space - they can be tucked in quite close to the central shaft - this would allow the whole assembly to be pivoted at a point just above the generator machine so it can be dropped to the horizontal when not in use or as a possible ruse to avoid the need for planning consent because it's not a permanent erection :oops:

Which reminds me of something that happened while I was living briefly in South Wales...

The police and council officials turned up to a property in the village that was known for being run as an unofficial brothel ! They were there to shut it down of course - but they had to use planning legislation in order to do so - the technical term for what they're action was "preventing an unlawful erection" :lol:
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

:lol:

Isn't there something in the Road traffic act too, about not being allowed to have an unilluminated erection on a public highway? :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Now there's a business opportunity for anyone into LED lighting :lol:
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I have not researched these upright designs fully. Initially I favoured one using photocopier (do you not love 'guess the word' programs. Try Helicopter your silcon nark) type wrist joints fastened at the bottom. They would be mounted at rest vertically and as the windmill spun up they swing towards horizontal pulling a loaded control cord. In effect the windmill has a governor and will be able to harvest all but serious storms. Something most windmills cannot. The problem with this design is it does not self start. Also it still needs a wide area and if not mounted at a height is very dangerous. It would suffer bird strike.

Since then quite a few good designs have come forth so an analysis of efficiency, degree of difficulty to make and planning rules would be needed. Planning, being a product of numbty land, assumes your windmill is like the commercial designs.
Originally I worked out that I could use model versions of the blades and an axle/driveshaft and other scrap parts to create a garden model sized unit. That cost about £300 for bits and out performed one of the 'bolt a windmill to your chimney and power a light bulb jobs at £1,500' jobs.

More research to be done but I think there is certainly potential for many properties to indulge in neutral cost free generation rather than being forced into a 'Government approved' blind ally.

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

My brother had solar panels installed on his house last year, and in sorting that out found a typical government cock up. Turns out if he went for the subsidy that was available at the time, he was tied to a particular make of panel. By buying it all himself he actually got a better system for no more personal outlay than with the subsidy because the 'government issue' panels were so inefficient and expensive.

I've looked either a small windmill or panel that would charge a battery to power some 12v lighting. It wouldn't make me electrically independant but would help reduce the bills.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

As I say. The Government classic. You have the choice to... When you look into it there is no choice at all, as what is on offer has several hurdles to jump and the technology is, if we are kind, out of date. Personally I think it is deliberately inefficient, so as to be protectionist. The Government system now preys on dependence to gain a bounty on anything we want to do. It cannot tolerate a group of people opting to be independant as it gains no revenue. Its a cancerous growth on our lives. If you take the plunge to actually opt out you have to accept that they will make your life difficult. Try binning the TV license. You receive bills, threats, visits from nasty little people. All for £145. Desperate! However make Independence work and its several more sticks they cannot beat you with or use to blackmail you. After that it would be water, for me. I have a working plan in progress to sidestep Council Tax using their own rules. They will still get paid but not by me. I am fed up with paying out. The taxman has earned a fortune of my back and what have I to show for it? An ever increase share of debt paying for policies I do not agree with. Sadly, or tellingly, you need to reach a certain level of wealth to afford to be able to opt out comfortably. Suddenly I am looking at saving about £4,000, about what a lot of people get free from the State for doing nothing. Sounds like a fair exchange to me as I am at least paying for my place in society for doing sod all!

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Brief update on BX action.

Gary has had a days work to restore him to road use. Nothing specific but a lot of niggles like duff light contacts, LHM leak and so on. With the Trooper I had the luxury of waiting for a sunny day as the garage is once again bung full of household crap.
That the Trooper was a wise buy was proved by its surprising economy, at 58k it is a baby, and it ability to tow. 2 tons of book cases etc and it did not notice the load. I know a BX Estate would do that job. However its willingness to please would ultimately see early failure and I am sure some BX died this way. The machines back each other well. Getting back in the BX after a few weeks of Trooper and the comfort and ease of covering mileage is a salve to the soul. The remaining question is what to do about the over population of estate cars. Ultimately Walt is the answer to regular driving being a slightly thriftier sunroof baring saloon of low mileage. So Homer needs to find a new home soon and I think Gary eventually will leave the fold. Perfect for someone wanting a long term BX to drive. So a basic plan forms of GTI and TZD Saloon backed by the Trooper's muscle.

Gary himself still needs several bigger jobs done but time is short. Despite having been on light duties for the last few weeks due to a damaged leg (Dr would go nuts at what I have been doing) I have clinch the sale of one of the Invalid Carriages to an Artists, to be seen on installation in Merseyside. Three more are to go to Scotland to make one restored car and donor parts for another bod in line. Oh yeah of little faith, the big one once again places what are said to be unsalable items in the hands of folk interested in making something of them.
So I am crawling around on my 'arris removing the engines and control boxes from three IC cars to go into my spares and provide the cars as agreed to in the deal, after picking through the boxes of loose parts to complete the set of parts for one car. The cash proceeds go to my chum who owns the cars, I get the spares removed and repay a favour.

Another deal is the reluctant sale of my Scootacar MkII. Reluctant as the prices have gone up such that I know I shall never own another, and I like their completely bonkers status. Unlike many stupidly derived machines this one actually works rather well and can offer near Messerschmitt performance (The yardstick by which Microcars are measured, in most cases). That said the 450% mark up will pay for a new kitchen roof hipped into the existing one, a fence round half the 1/4 acre plot (I am not fit enough to do it myself, bummer), plumbing the house, checking the electrics of the house and putting in the additional peripheral shedding excluding the new workshop and the rebuilding of the reclaimed garage. Not bad for an outlay of £2,250 five years ago. The outstanding jobs will come out of the Messerschmitt to be sold, along with the budget for finishing the house and creating the footings for the later to be constructed annex. I need to build the 'existing buildings' before I can make an annex within building regs and planning rules. So the Scootacar kicks the intial build a long way forward.

Selling the Scootacar also marks the beginning of the effort to clear 40 cars and projects I do not want. A target that I hope to achieve in a year. This includes some of the BX. Done I will have a far more realistic and sensible collection of cars that will fit within my plot. The core collection and a stash of good projects like the excess Messerschmitts to rebuild and sell off over the years.

Come the summer I will be scrapping/parting out A35, A40 Hippo and Farina, Morris Oxford, Morris Minor, Rover P3, P4 75, 110, Vauxhaul Victor, Cresta PB, Hillman Imp, Singer Gazelle, Riley 1.5, Vanden Plus 4R, Alfa Alfetta 2Lt, and selling off a Ford 100E, Reliant mk5, Talbot Express Freeway three axle Bus/Racing transporter, possibly a Wolseley 4/44 barn find. These based out of the Solway coast, Cumbria. Still a couple of Invalid Carriages left unspoken for. The rest are microcars of minimal to considerable value. Looks like the remaining Scooter bits are spoken for. I have got a number of continental style light trailers for bikes and small cars. A big sort out.
Last edited by Thread Bear on Tue May 06, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Scootacar MkII

This car was rescued from scrap out of Groombridge's yard in Heathfield, East Sussex. It was an unsold trade in. So despite being vandalised it is otherwise unmolested and original, with its correct engine, Villiers 9e reversing unit with dynostart. These bubblecars had a low centre of gravity despite the looks. The brakes are hydraulic being highly modified from the Morris Minor. The manufacturer was Hunslett, better known for there smaller steam tank locomotivers out of the Leeds factory. There are about 50 Scootacars left of MkI, MkII and MkIII versions.
From this clearance I had it and sold it with several other cars to a farmer in Northern Ireland. Years later I bought it back with another car, a Larmar, in the same condition I sold them. His lads had not followed an expected course into vehicle restoration.
In fact my bud was to buy this car but on seeing it he rejected it. Creating an embarrising situation. I renegotiated the deal and bought the pair at a cheaper overall price. Bud is now somewhat miffed at missing the opportunity. The Larmar already traded equally as well, being the reason I own two desirable Borgward Isabella Coupe and an early Borgward Isabella TS saloon. Sometimes you get lucky on a purchase, especially if unexpected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Thread Bear on Tue May 06, 2014 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Scrappers. I will not image them all as it will take up a lot of space, but you get the idea. Any interest welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Thread Bear on Tue May 06, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

The garage prior to its removal from Hampshire. The rebuild will in fact have it as two ends of an L shape with the Annex later to form the missing joint. All to fit in with building regs and allowable planning rules. The building is made of Oak and is jointed. A system of construction I can do myself.