Time to give up the daily drive ?

Anything about BXs
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Time to give up the daily drive ?

Post by Kitch »

Gary wrote:Thanks for the reply's , interesting reading on how we view the use / worth of our BX's .
I will still be using it everyday for now and then possibly share the daily chores with the TXD and possibly change the route to work, as there are some very wide cars with clueless drivers ( or drivers without a license ) around the back streets of Luton who appear not to know where the centre of the road is or give a crap if they force you out of the way.
I know that the BX will never be worth a lot of money but I would like to keep it in the best condition I can hence the idea of using it less.
Thank's again for everyone's input .
Using it less doesn't always mean it will stay in better condition, but if you use it more you'll then have to work on it more to keep it tip top. I know I don't have the time to pamper my daily driver, which is another reason I don't use it daily. I work on cars everyday - I really couldn't be arsed to do it in my spare time even if I was single without the kids etc!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Kitch wrote:f you use it more you'll then have to work on it more to keep it tip top. I know I don't have the time to pamper my daily driver
That's exactly my thoughts, although for different reasons - i.e. I've got several older vehicles too, which I spend time on. Some by necessity due to age/wear & tear, some out of enjoyment. I'm concered I won't have the time to spend on an aging daily driver too, especially if (worst case scenario) I end up commuting 600 miles a week. Plus the potential for a family in the future...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

mat_fenwick wrote:
Kitch wrote:f you use it more you'll then have to work on it more to keep it tip top. I know I don't have the time to pamper my daily driver
That's exactly my thoughts, although for different reasons - i.e. I've got several older vehicles too, which I spend time on. Some by necessity due to age/wear & tear, some out of enjoyment. I'm concered I won't have the time to spend on an aging daily driver too, especially if (worst case scenario) I end up commuting 600 miles a week. Plus the potential for a family in the future...
Oh the family thing throws cars out of the window. Two choices for me.....try to be a good Dad and not spend ages tinkering with cars, or do what I want a be a shit Dad, missing out on kids growing up etc.

Cars are good, kids are better though (even though it may not seem like it at first :lol: )

BAH has been washed a maximum of 4 times in the last two years. Oil hasn't been changed since 2010 (although that's only been around 3000miles)...what does that tell you? :lol:

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Children Mat? :-)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Not at the moment, but I can't sweep the biological clock under the carpet to muffle the ticking forever!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

mat_fenwick wrote:Not at the moment, but I can't sweep the biological clock under the carpet to muffle the ticking forever!
Don't wait too long is my advice. I couldn't have half the fun I do with mine if I was much older.

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

What, like...erm...35 or so? :oops:

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Gary wrote: there are some very wide cars with clueless drivers ( or drivers without a license ) around the back streets of Luton
Luton? Aargh! Its top of the list of places I never buy a car from. :shock: If its not bent, cut or shut, it has been used as a taxi, or overloaded with people whose religion seems to be standing on the M1 looking at a static car with a vague sort of surprised expression on their face. Great fashion hints but otherwise a damned nuisance. I place Luton ahead of Slough for Betjemen Bombing.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

mat_fenwick wrote:What, like...erm...35 or so? :oops:
Erm.........better than 40 mate 8)

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Thread Bear wrote: Luton? Aargh! Its top of the list of places I never buy a car from. :shock: If its not bent, cut or shut, it has been used as a taxi, or overloaded with people whose religion seems to be standing on the M1 looking at a static car with a vague sort of surprised expression on their face. Great fashion hints but otherwise a damned nuisance. I place Luton ahead of Slough for Betjemen Bombing.

Up North we have a similar city beginning with L that I won't buy cars from, the 0151 telephone pre-fix immediately curbs any interest I may have in a car. :lol:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Kitch wrote:
mat_fenwick wrote:Not at the moment, but I can't sweep the biological clock under the carpet to muffle the ticking forever!
Don't wait too long is my advice. I couldn't have half the fun I do with mine if I was much older.
I'm so inviting Lana around in July, see how loud that tick becomes then!

Back on topic, my advice, go and test drive some 'moderns' and see if you can tolerate them. In my line of work i get to drive some of the most advanced/powerful/luxurious mas produced cars in the european market, everything from a fully electric BMW 1 to a super charged range rover. And while these modern cars are easier to drive, safer, more comfortable, faster, quieter and so on, i get to the end of most journeys and think 'BORING'. Its amazing how modern technology has made cars so detached from the road surface.

I have a sticking throttle cable in the BX, i can feel it in the pedal, you don't get that on modern cars. If i hit the brakes in mud in the BX, i can feel the wheels braking and regaining traction through the pedal and the steering, its all together a more complete experience.

I don't use the valver everyday, because there are too many idiots on the M6 and the alternative route to work takes twice as long (but is a lot of fun), so i take the playstation car (if it dies, put a new coin in, press start and go again). I would hate to be without the valver once in a while though.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Keep, & enjoy, that's what i reckon. I'd still be driving my TXD if rust & head gasket hadn't gone. Perhaps share the duties once your other BX is back on the road, that way you reduce your mileage on each one, whilst still having the pleasure of driving both. Modern cars have some advantages, but can be very boring to drive. As an example, i tried a Golf Bluemotion (the 1.6tdi), it had loads of spec as it was the Match model, but my god, it had absolutely no go even when flooring it & i was bored shitless with my 15 minute test drive. I couldn't face owning something that was so bland, so i test drove a 330d instead with 227bhp, now that was fun, but then decided to get a clubman instead which is quite good fun to drive & only cost £20 a year to tax & regularly does over 60mpg, jobbed, but it wasn't cheap though.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Thread Bear wrote:
Gary wrote:Luton? Aargh! Its top of the list of places I never buy a car from. :shock: If its not bent, cut or shut, it has been used as a taxi, or overloaded with people whose religion seems to be standing on the M1 looking at a static car with a vague sort of surprised expression on their face. Great fashion hints but otherwise a damned nuisance. I place Luton ahead of Slough for Betjemen Bombing.

Oi Luton isn't that bad! You know we have an airport with a starbucks inside, so we are (as a town) going up in the world! ;)
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Kitch wrote:Oh the family thing throws cars out of the window. Two choices for me.....try to be a good Dad and not spend ages tinkering with cars, or do what I want a be a shit Dad, missing out on kids growing up etc.
Times change. We used to help dad service his car, later cars. Morris Minors and VW Beetles, This was in the day you did maintenance yourself, if you were at all handy. So even at about 5 or 6 I would be pumping the grease gun or holding an end of a spanner. Latterly Dad merely supervised our efforts, reaping a reward for his patience and training. He ended up with a Rally nut and a classic car restorer on his hands. We were happy to do it as it was man stuff and we saw little of Dad as he was often away working. It was a chance to interact. My sister can do rudimentary work on cars and while now a successful artists initially went for ceramics. We were all encouraged to get off our bottoms, go out and create things, and to be inquisitive enough to fully research a topic. This practicable template seems to have got broken somewhere and youngsters seem to shy away from anything that involves dirt and physical activity in favour of electrical boxes and chit chat. The Internet makes finding information very much simpler, great, but I do wonder if the real drive is there when the information is not that easy to get. My folks did no more than point us in the right direction. Certainly relying on the average state school to fill a young mind would seem a foolish thing to do. So parenting has become no easier or less time consuming, indeed it seems more difficult with many joining in a strange kind of local league table to have the best parties etc. by spending £1000s. Not convinced.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars