Warning lights and buzzer absent post dash refitting

BX Tech talk
frog
BXpert

Warning lights and buzzer absent post dash refitting

Post by frog »

Okay what did I forget (or break)?

Background: I've just had the dash out of the white one to do some welding and swap it into my black one.
Dash is back in the white one now, but I have no warning lights (stop or oil pressure) or warning buzzer when ignition is on or anytime. Everything else is working. Everything is reconnected I think!

Brake lights aren't working at the moment, but that could well be unrelated..

Any ideas?
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
frog
BXpert

Re: Warning lights and buzzer absent post dash refitting

Post by frog »

So it's started working again today first thing. Nothing has changed so I have no idea what's caused it. Hopefully it won't be an ongoing thing!
1989 Citroën BX 16v
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I would say it has to be an earthing problem to affect all?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That was my first thought too, but the oil pressure light is earthed via the pressure switch on the block. Without studying a wiring diagram I can't think of a common factor, although possibly an ignition switched relay on the fuse box?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

Yeah, they're off again. I will let you folks know when I sort it. Off to study a wiring diagram (may as well try to read a book in latin!).
Hopefully I'm lot leading you down the garden path with the oil pressure light. It certainly doesn't come on with the ignition, and it does in my working 16 valve.
1989 Citroën BX 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hmmm, I'm wondering if it's more than one problem. Certainly on UK models the lights-on warning is independent of the ignition so a failure of an ignition switched circuit would not affect it. Warning lights aren't fed by a relay (just the cooling fan) as I first wondered. Can't remember whether brake lights are on a permanent live supply.

All the red warning lights (apart from handbrake & alternator) are wired to come on with low oil pressure as a test function before the engine is started, so a break in the earth side of that circuit (i.e. from the bulb to the pressure switch) could cause most of your symptoms.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

Thanks for your thoughts Mat, I will have a play about over the next week and report back.

The brake lights may never have worked, we have just bought this car in the last fortnight as a non-runner.
It's running now, only since we repaired where rats had eaten through parts of the engine loom..
But the warning lights were working pre dash removal and re-fitting so I think it's my fettling thats done it rather than the rodents.

Cheers,
Chris
1989 Citroën BX 16v
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Possibly one of the multi-way connectors to the instrument panel not seated properly / offset slightly, or dislodged when re-fitting.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
David
BXpert

Post by David »

The red warning lights go though a brown connector behind the glovebox it has about 7 wires in it (roughly, can't remember exactly how many). If that was unplugged then they wouldn't work. But what warning buzzer isn't working? The only one I know of is the one for the headlights.

Are the brake lights plugged in at the pedal?
The brake lights normally work off live 2 in the ignition, & all the warning lights work off live 1 & the ignition itself is live 3. Just out of curiosity: are your electric windows, green dash illimination, map reading lights, wipers & indicators working? if so L2 is getting power (there is more on that circuit but can't think what right now). Is the heater working & do the clocks go up in the instrument panel? if so L1 is getting power.

If the above checks show some of the mentioned things working & the mentioned plugs are connected then then it could be a broken earth somewhere. If not then it could be your ignition switch or a broken live, or even a blown fuse or 2.
You will probably have to get the meter out & check everything anyway.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

Okay, took some photos of the cars together last night as seen in the Gallery section and got the rear brake lights working by fettling around at the actual lights.

The warning light buzzer is the same (but separate) as the buzzer that alarms for the headlamps, it is also located in the same place. I have the next few days solid at work so I will investigate after then. I think it is likely to be a bad earth as others have mentioned or I have missed reconnecting an earth all together.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I will check that brown connector behind the glovebox, all the fuses are intact. I have sprayed electrical clean and lube on the connectors at the back of the instrument panel.

Time will tell, thanks for all the pointers!
1989 Citroën BX 16v