Citroen type suspension on water

Anything about BXs
Tinkley
1K Away

Citroen type suspension on water

Post by Tinkley »

I discovered this little beast recently, and thought others might like to see it!

Anything look familiar?
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: Citroen type suspension on water

Post by Thread Bear »

Interesting. Thats a few hours gone when I should be doing something else.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Superbe!! That'd make the perfect basis for the long ( and often ) awaited AmphiBX. :-)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

That's brilliant! I can't believe nobody has thought of that before. The one with 4 floats looks even more brilliant. It's like a spider. I think actually that leaning into turns is a brilliant idea, and I can't help wondering if the Xantia Activa could be improved on even further by doing the same thing. I think there is a car/motorbike hybrid that does this with the steering. I have always wanted to produce a gimbling coffee tray for a car so that you could place drinks onto it and not worry about going round corners, but if the whole car did it that might improve passenger comfort as well. Having said that the lean angles would have to be perhaps a little too extreme to compensate for the lateral G generated by the high levels of grip tarmac offers. The next level for the boat would be high speed commercial passenger travel; They could make one with lots of "legs" and floats all working independently, although I bet the physics and computing behind this would be very complecated, let alone the execution.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

I had some of those coffee cup holders in my old motorhome. It was huge and leaned over so much I thought I might fall out when I first got it then learned to slow down a bit more for corners! The cup holders were an incredible invention and did work very well.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Damn! And I thought it would have been an original invention! Out of interest, how did they work? My idea was to have a cable operated 2 axis tray linked to a separate fluid dampened box with weights in it.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Changing the subject slightly; On the subject of motorhomes; if I had the funds I would buy a GMC 70's motorhome. They are cheaper than a VW camper, 3 times the size, have 6 wheeled independent air suspension, aircraft grade aluminium construction, a V8 and front wheel drive, not to mention an auxilary generator and 70's styling inside and out. Heaven on wheels!
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

^ Have a word with Nigel Wild. :-D
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Saw in interesting motorhome on the way back from Citromobile - a Ci Highwayman Mk1 on a Citroen C 35 base.

My favorite campervan (other than my own Nomad), is the early 70's Winnibago Brave - I just love the angles and styling of those early Winnies.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

adamskibx wrote:Damn! And I thought it would have been an original invention! Out of interest, how did they work? My idea was to have a cable operated 2 axis tray linked to a separate fluid dampened box with weights in it.
It was simpler and just two cup bases next to each other rather than a whole tray.

It's hard to describe but must have been a semi-spherical cup with a weighted smaller cup inside that. Then, the cup holder part which was just basically about 6" across with a little lip at the edge.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

That sounds ace. I think my thinking behind the remote weight was to reduce the size of the actual tray for car use. The idea was to mount it inside the dash or down in the passenger foot-well, but in retrospect I think simplicity would be more saleable. I just like engineering for engineering's sake; which is why I like Citroen's I suspect.

mds141: Has Nigel got a GMC motorhome? I can see him in one of those somehow! Funnily enough I came across them when I went to look at some CX's in a barn. The guy had two of them and gave me a tour. He also had an Italian sports car with an American engine. I forget what it was called but it was from the early 70's I think and was lovely but had stood for donkeys years.