NEC 14-16 November 2014 - oh well, better luck next year ...

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: NEC 14-16 November 2014 - hold the dates, watch this spa

Post by Dollywobbler »

I know a lot about what can be done with no money. ;) I must concede, carpet helps, but don't lose sight of the fact that the most interesting aspect of a stand should always be the cars. I dearly hope 2014 can be the year that a strut can be displayed. People love a bit of tech.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I think we should try to have different cars every year. If we don't, it's not just boring for the punters it's boring for us as a club. I thought last years voting procedure worked very well - everyone is free to nominate a car and the club votes on the six best ones. I also thinks it's reasonable if last years exhibitors step aside this year, to allow as many people as possible an opportunity to show their car.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Dollywobbler wrote:I must concede, carpet helps
You are Nigel AICMFP ;)

Agree that a cutaway strut - + sphere - would be great, offers last year unfortunately kiboshed through events no fault of the volunteers concerned.

Re numbers of cars - will try for same size stand this year and see how we go.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Gary wrote:I know that last year I was asked serveral times if we had a 8 valve GTi on the stand and why not?
So a performance based stand could be a popular choice.
Well nobody voted in significant numbers for my GTi last year, the ' winners ' seemed to me to be the cars of regular posting and thus visible club members so why should I volunteer it again for this year ??

Actually it needs some rust rectification work soon so may not even be NEC worthy anyway.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Im more than happy to offer up the TZD again (even if it isn't a performance car) but like Jaba, rust stuff will need sorting first, but I do have an old speedo which could, with a bit of work be used as a sort of 'flip the switch' and see what dashlights you turn on sort of thing ?
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Jaba wrote:
Gary wrote:I know that last year I was asked serveral times if we had a 8 valve GTi on the stand and why not?
So a performance based stand could be a popular choice.
Well nobody voted in significant numbers for my GTi last year, the ' winners ' seemed to me to be the cars of regular posting and thus visible club members so why should I volunteer it again for this year ??

Actually it needs some rust rectification work soon so may not even be NEC worthy anyway.

Worth taking some up to date photos John, I think "well known" cars that often appear at events maybe are the cars that people would vote for.

I shall be offering my GT this year if requested.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Are there any pictures of last years stand on the forum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

There's even a YouTube clip.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Gary
BXpert

Post by Gary »

Here's the pictures I took
http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 30#p232340" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As well as Paul's u tube clip
http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 30#p232364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is if I put the links in correctly .
1992 BX GTi Hurricane x2
1991 BX Meteor 1.9d
1993 BX TXD Turbo, Ice blue
1987 Visa GTi
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

mds141 wrote:There's even a YouTube clip.
. . . and here it is (gone viral at 298 views!) :)

edit - just noticed that Gary's already posted a link. I know - let's watch it again. :D
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Re: NEC 14-16 November 2014 - oh well, better luck next year

Post by Caffiend »

Through the e-mail:

"Regretfully, we are sorry to inform you that the BX Club application for space at this year's Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show at the NEC has been unsuccessful.

This year we are aiming to improve the feature content at the event for visitors, which along with a large number of clubs celebrating significant anniversaries, puts pressure on the oversubscribed space available for club stands.

Blah blah blah think of your last job rejection and the rest is all about the same as that."

^ This means that they want to sell more stuff/make more money from concessions/random tat vendors/dealers etc. Cynical, me?

Anyway, as CCC, TOC and 2CV GB are likely there, it was always going to be a long shot for us to be allowed a fourth Citroen stand without any special event/anniversary this year. Sorry folks :(.

We've had suggestions of Shepton Mallet Show (about the same time) - over to Mr Sims of this electronic parish (citsncycles) and/or Manchester in September (the X rally dopplegangers formerly known as MarkandPaul. Or PaulandMark, not sure which.)

If any would-be exhibitors are desperately disappointed, please may I encourage you to nominate your BX for the CCC stand - it would be nice to see one on there this year - and "everyone else" - please support any such nominations :)
1992 Hurricane
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Ah well, hats off for trying Sandre :) To have one there two years on the trot, when to most people a BX is just a banger was quite an achievement, especially last year's stand which looks better than most of the surrounding ones on a similar budget/setup.

2015 - the GT is 30 years old that year. Perfect excuse for a 'do. :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

All good things come to an end. Thanks for picking up the ball on this one though Sandre. We put on two good displays, with a great mix of vehicles - with no repeats! Which is more than can be said for some clubs...

Was it worth all the sweat and tears? Well, I'm not sure it got us loads of new members, but I think we made great strides in gaining a greater classic acceptance for the BX - witness Kitch's GT in PC this very month. Visibility is all-important. After all, BXs are still seen by some as a bit niche, even in Citroen circles!

If we can hit some other shows, then all the better. The classic world doesn't end with the NEC after all. Some locations have decent lighting for a start!
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

PaulnMark are already onto Manchester in September and I have no doubt that they'll post accordingly. I'll just be back office for that one.
1992 Hurricane
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

It's only this year that we haven't got a stand - as Sandre says, with level of applicants for the NEC it was always going to be difficult for the organisers to justify 4 separate Citroen clubs. Anyway, we might be back in next year - who knows? So no cynicism from me; just stick a fork in its arse and move on. And on that note, I'm in the process of putting in an application for the Footman James Classic Car Show in Manchester.

http://www.manchesterclassiccarshow.com ... car-clubs/

Have carpet,will travel - watch this space! :D