Turbo problems/replacement/improvements

BX Tech talk
ritmo
Confirmed BX'er

Turbo problems/replacement/improvements

Post by ritmo »

Hi,

I have several issues with old Betty (93 TZD "Break"), so I'll split it into a few topics.

My turbo has been showing signs of packing in since I got the car about 4 years ago.

Initial symptoms:

- Smokey on acceleration when engine is cold, once heats up, not smokey. Likely the turbo oil seals I recon.
- Faint high pitched rattle at around 2000rpm as the turbo comes in. I think the early signs of the bearings going in the turbo.

Recent issues which leads me to needing action:

- Noticeable lack of power
- High fuel consumption (lower than 50mpg with easy going, steady driving)
- Engine running noticeably hotter. My guess because feeding the turbo but getting not much/nothing back.

So I think I either need to fix my turbo, or replace it. Does anyone have any suggestions of course of action?

Maybe I could replace the central bearing housing, but no idea what turbo I have.
Maybe I can fit any turbo from a XUD 7/9 TE engine? Could I use a xantia or 306 one?
Maybe it's a good chance to fit a more powerful turbo, ideally for higher fuel efficiency, but some more kick would be fun too! Any ideas on this?

Seems the turbo is in a bit of a nightmare position in the engine. In fact, despite looking, I've never actually seen it!

Thanks for any help :)

Jake
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Turbo problems/replacement/improvements

Post by citsncycles »

Not all turbos fitted to the XUD are the same - I know of at least 2 patterns. I don't know enough about turbos to know if an XUD9 turbo will run ok on a 17 engine
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'm using the BX turbo (Garrett) from the original engine on my Xantia engine now fitted, which originally had the KKK turbo. AFAIK both cars could be fitted with either turbo although I think the exhaust flange may be different between cars. I see no reason why 306s wouldn't be another possible source but have the faintest feeling that some of them may have a smaller one for better drivability i.e. less lag.

More power is a reasonably simple job of increasing the boost and the fuelling to match. I think I've arrived at a sweet spot of power/reliability by trial, error and a large slice of luck!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
ritmo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ritmo »

Looks like the best thing to do is get the unit out and have a good check of it. I guess pretty much any mechanical turbo could be used given the correct unions.

Do you know the best way of accessing the turbo? From the top or the bottom? I think I've read somewhere it's best to unbolt the engine from the lower mounts and then use a strap to pull the engine forward. Would be easier if I could get in from the top.

Thanks,

Jake