Eric Brough
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 16TXi
C5 Mk1 Facelift 2.0 HDi estate
C6 2.2 HDi Lignage
Fiat 500 Lounge

TXi / TZi Fuel filter orientation and fuel flow arrangement

Post by Eric Brough »

I've just replaced the fuel filter on my 16TXi. The filter has an arrow on it indicating the direction of flow. It will only fit in one way round (just as the old filter did) and that is with the arrow pointing to the rear of the car. The pipe that connects here is the short one that loops down to the electric fuel pump.

This suggest that the filter is in between the tank and the pump. Dose anyone know if that is right? The diagrams in Haynes (Chapter 4D) for the Magneti Marelli injection system suggest contrary-wise that the filter is between the pump and the throttle body.

Which end of the electric fuel pump is the outlet end? Anyone know? The rear end (as mounted on the car), with the electrical connectors, or the front end?

All of this is part and parcel of a larger investigation into why the engine has stopped firing entirely. Who, apart from me, is still running a 16 TXi?

Cheers, Eric
<------------------>
BX 16TXi
C6 2.2 HDi Lignage
Fiat 500 Lounge
<==========>
citronut
Over 2k

Re: TXi / TZi Fuel filter orientation and fuel flow arrangem

Post by citronut »

on service citroen it shows the pump below the filter in its mounting block,

and also connected after the pump,
so tank, pump then filter,

this means the out end of the pump is facing the same direction as the in end of the filter,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Eric Brough
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 16TXi
C6 2.2 HDi Lignage
Fiat 500 Lounge

Post by Eric Brough »

Thanks, Malcolm. It seems to be the case that on the BX TXi the flow of fuel is tank > pump > filter > engine. (This is at odds with 'normal' installations where the filter is between the tank and the pump, to protect the pump from debris.)

This results in the fuel filter having to be installed with its arrow facing AGAINST the flow of fuel. Ho. Hum. Is this one of our favourite marques' cherished quirks? Anyhow, I still seem to get the specified 0.8BAR pressure delivered at the engine end of things.

For the record, the old filter was a KNECHT/MAHLE KL14; the new filter is a Lautrette Mecafilter ELE 6011.

Cheers, Eric
<------------------>
BX 16TXi
C6 2.2 HDi Lignage
Fiat 500 Lounge
<==========>
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Eric Brough wrote: This results in the fuel filter having to be installed with its arrow facing AGAINST the flow of fuel. Ho. Hum.
Cheers, Eric
on the drawing it shows the out of the pimp pointing the same direction as the in on the filter,

then just a U shaped section of fuel line connecting the pump to the filter,
then the out of the pimp connects to a fuel line that starts off heading rearwards then turns and goes to the front of the car

if you have the direction arrow pointing the same direction as the in on the pimp, this is correct, and not back to front,

also if you have got the pump flow the wrong way you probably will not be filtering the fuel

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)