Rear Screen availablity?

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Rear Screen availablity?

Post by Tinkley »

Well I suppose it had to happen. Some nasty oik smashed the rear screen on the Athena. Leaving brick dust everywhere... the other 5 cars parked on the road untouched. Mine was parked in the driveway, front towards street.

Of course that writes the car off technically as new screens are no longer available. Now where can I get a green tint rear screen?.

Update: Car now a technical write off as no screens are available. Great, as I need it for work. Bit undecided but have found a 2nd hand one that needs to be cut out and refitted. Only 80 miles away with no rear window, could be fun!.

Further UPDATE
Firstly find out, that attack on car was about 5 to one am. Neighbour heard sound like rifle shot.
I am insured through the RAC and Zurich currently and neither they nor I could find a screen. Gave it a bit more searching and found them in France still available. Called the AA windscreens and they amazingly managed to find a green tint one brand new!.

Now I just have to slide the claim onto the RAC so I can get it 'Insurer' approved and get a bit of a rebate, these things are not cheap. Quite amusing eh? Bloody nightmare though and it will be a couple of days before fitting too. Main thing is to find a rear screen. Shows how hard they are to come by though. Pricey too but the elements should work OK, the old one had only lost one rail though.
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Rear Screen availablity?

Post by Tinkley »

Hopefully a picture. I think a Raspberry Pi and motion activated hi res camera might be in order.
As this is the fourth time I have had a car attacked and the police cannot be bothered to get out of their car, time to take the law into my own hands on my property.
Attachments
Rear-1.jpg
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Another showing the brick dust. Strange how the brick wqs not in the car and none of about £300 quids worth of tools were taken....
Attachments
Rear-2.jpg
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Ah, that'd be you my missus took a message from! I didn't have one anyway - I need a boot on G-SEG as it lives outside, so I could have helped into about 6 months time :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
hilarystone
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX 16V, BX Van 16V, Visa GTI, CX Ambulance Turbo diesel, Xsara VTS Phase 1 and 2, Lotus Elan 1970, Clan Crusader, C8 2l petrol, 1982 GSA Pallas, 1974 GS Birotor

Post by hilarystone »

I got a rear screen just over a year ago for my 16V through my insurers Footman James…
Hilary Stone

http://www.Hilarystone.com
Period bikes, frames and parts

1985 Citroen CX Ambulance, 1989 Citroen BX 16V, 1987 Citroen Visa GTI, 2008 Citroen C8 2l petrol, Citroen BX Van 16V, Clan Crusader, 1970 Lotus Elan, Citroen Xsaras VTS phase1 and Phase 2, Citroen GSA, GS Birotor
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

You'd be right Kitch :wink:

Yes Hilary, I found reference to a BX in Bristol that had a new rear screen in Jan of this year. Now that helped indicate it might be worth more searching. What a pain, front windscreen, I could have had it changed in less than 2 hours in Guildford, 'Yes sir in stock, yes the green tint'. I suppose I don't share these kids sense of humour, especially as the car was 100% deliberately targeted. Which means it will be again, they will not be happy until it is completely finished.

However after 4 attacks on 2 BXs' and at least 3 on the house iw stones through windows plus other stuff like moving the boat trailer a 100 meters up the road etc I do get a bit tired of it. Maybe a dummy alarm ie a red flashing LED or something might help. Hell, a couple of weeks ago I had a firework thrown onto the bonnet. Maybe I should just annoy the local councillors to badger the police. After all the cops did not think a half brick thrown at my car last summer at 70mph was even worth reporting. I assume they don't object when one comes through their own windscreen and maybe into one of their own kids faces.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I'd move towns!!

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Watch out I might move south in this great county of Hampshire!

To be fair it is around 9 years since I last had trouble of this type. Just takes one kid with a dislike of BXs' maybe I could persuade he and his crowd to invade Fareham, then you could supervise a 'rest' inside the Fort eh Kitch?. Couple of months should do it.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Tinkley wrote:Watch out I might move south in this great county of Hampshire!

To be fair it is around 9 years since I last had trouble of this type. Just takes one kid with a dislike of BXs' maybe I could persuade he and his crowd to invade Fareham, then you could supervise a 'rest' inside the Fort eh Kitch?. Couple of months should do it.
Hampshire does seem to worsen the further north you go. I can't get much further south, unless I want to live on a boat :lol:

Never known a car to be targeted because of the type of car it is though, other than people keying expensive machinery like Ferraris etc.

I'm sure Fareham is already full of people who don't like BXs. Most towns are! My street, especially!

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Funny how the other cars in the street, not my driveway were C4, Vauxhall Frontera, some massive motorhome and they were untouched. Even my old BX right on the edge of the road was left alone. Definitely deliberate targeting and on my runner too.

A couple of years ago the front door got egged, kids from my step sons school who are quite local.
Also if I get milk or stuff from the local One Stop, the oiks are always calling my car a 'complete piec of shit' then try and buy it for £20 to sell for scrap. I actually think it is one of them a bit pissed up and then having some fun as they see it, might be wrong. It also might be a pikey who gave me grief 11 years ago and still turns up some times to see the neighbourhood. He has also phoned me up impersonating a police officer - and that is a real offence. Not seen him for three years until last week, so could be. It is not one of the really local kids in the housing enclave I am in.

If it gets like the last lot, after about one or two months they will (try to) break another window, then try and steal it as it has a key not an immobiliser. Difference is that this time the car is entirely on my property and not on the street. Putting in a movement activated light had seemed to cure the problem but obviously not well enough. Maybe they just lobbed the brick from way up the road.
The firework incident was totally unrelated and at least 12 miles away. Mind you the uninsured dark red Corsa that lobbed the brick/stone on the A3 is definitely more local to you Kitch!.

My understanding is that on ones own property one is allowed reasonable force to defend it. Pity I can't turn the BX into a sort of Back to the Future or Knightrider type so it could run down it's own attacker... :wink:

Actually there is always the Isle of Wight if you add a little west to moving south...
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Bloody hell, that all sounds a bit of a bummer. I'd definitely foxtrot oscar elsewhere - life's too short to be dealing with pricks like that.

I.O.W is directly south from me (Osborne House is anyway, I can see it from my local!) but I think I'll stay here. Going there next week though, maybe I won't come back :lol:

You get nobheads everywhere, sadly. Pompey's full of 'em :lol:

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Reminds me of losing the rudder at Bembridge on the 24' sportboat at 10 Knots +.....in the Round the Island race..... Not my boat and the naval architect was skippering, we did manage to kluge it back in place to finish, shame we'd done OK on that but up to Bembridge.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

heres the OE part No. if its any use

96 051 539

you could ask you local dealer to do an all dealer search,

or do a goooogly search with it

or ask if anyone has a complete tailgate in the right colour

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks Malcolm. I actually have an entire tailgate (of the other Athena) I could swap over, but it means leaving the donor car open to the elements. Chevronics have a green tint one in a TZD they can cut out.
If you go on French equivalents of AutoGlass and request a Lunette Arierre (rear screen) you will find they are still available in France.....I suspect the AA supplied one is coming from France because of the 2 day delay.

I find it amusing that the RAC cannot find that which the AA can... and yes, their customer services will be getting a pretty sharp e-mail. I've only been a member since '77 but this, plus fitting wrong inner tube on bike so it punctured again, plus 7 hour wait in SW london for recovery (coil gone on Aprilia), does make you wonder.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Well Kitch you won't buy a house in this street for less than 280k for half of the one (half of the) semi bungalow, and definitely over 300k for the smallest detached. A lot are in the 400k+ bracket.

Here I hope is a street view.

http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/str ... eading=120