Unsold Cars

Anything about BXs
Way2go
Over 2k

Unsold Cars

Post by Way2go »

Seems we are doing economic damage by loving and elongating the life of our cars! :roll: See link:

http://www.vincelewis.net/unsoldcars.html

(Incudes Citroen's parked up at Corby, Northamptonshire)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Mothman

Re: Unsold Cars

Post by Mothman »

Bloody hell!!

I wonder if there are any unsold BXs left?

Andy
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Well we know, if we bothered to listen, that most car manufacturers were given a bailout like the banks. This was to keep them turning cars out at some sort of pace. It keeps many companies live even if they are not really making much money. At least the infrastruture exists to expand should there be another 'good time'. Once gone these industries take a lot of recreating. Those areas that did not do this saw closures or plants mothballed.
Most countries car manufacturers have links with Government of some sort. In America the car bosses publicly flew thier private jets in to plead poverty. Obama gave them a huge hand out. So, yes, the is an element of market minipulation going on.
Its all part of the game of denial that there is a serious economic problem based on the belief if you can borrow yourself out of it long enough, its someone elses problem, or better it might go away. The more interferance from Government in the economy, taking it away from a free market with rules for fair play, the bigger the problem gets. We have seen nothing yet, as this economic model only ever ends in one way. A crash, the bigger the longer its put off. These additional unsold cars, now out of date models, are just one small part of the evidence out there, if you care to educate yourself to the truth. You will not be told by the TV or electioneering parties. They are in the system conning you out of your money. Most people do not want to believe it anyway, but it is not going away.

The fact is I would not buy one of these new cars unless it was very cheap. I do not see them as an improvement, as a package, to what I am driving. I have no interest in buying into reliance on modern manufacturer dependance culture.
I think we are heading to car ownership being much more of a lease on credit ownership where you carry the liability and are contracted to one of 5 or 6 manufacturers, possibly backed by an oil company, who pretty much control your useage with the Government. With that will come much less freedom of use of the roads, as consistant with the average citizen having a lot less real buying power. The only good thing will be that will be when alternative feuls will be bought forward from the oil componies stored patents - to a captive market. Only the well off will be able to afford to opt out. Probably be fully up and running after I am pushing up daises but for those younger it is something to ponder.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

So now we can see a debt mountain!

It would be very interesting to compare with 2007 and 8 to see if it was similar. So much stuff is sold on permanent lease, software included ie games and CAD programs, that you never own it. All for the 'benefit' of the financial services industry - too big to fail. Maybe we should ask why?

Personally I think RBS should have been allowed to collapse and the entire board of directors jailed. Just why did Barclays walk away from the ABN Amro deal?.

I have no problem with car manufacturers perse, there are lots of good engineers and people in that industry. More a leadership and political problem. 'Let the market decide' decried one past leader, well it might turn round and bite on the bum!.

Trouble is if here in the UK they really started building 300k houses, many with 30meter plus long back gardens as was done in the 50s, house prices would fall. Good for the majority of people but not for politicians who have stoked the market with 'Help to Buy' just right to get re-elected in 2015.... :lol:

What, me cynical?.....
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hmm, think theres some artistic licence in there, unsold cars are preregistered and sold to the big supermarkets over here. Having been in the motor trade for 20 years cars just dont get "abandoned".

You also find they get offered to the daily rental fleet buyers at big discountd.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Thu May 22, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Agree with Tim,

This unsold cars story is somewhat 'skewed'

The press are as usual going OTT.

Cars have always been stockpiled this way.

I well remember the last batch of Dyanes (C'ote D'azur) standing at the docks for ages before being released to dealers for sale.

Also living near Corby Northants (where all PSA cars for this country reside before sold) its nothing new there, in fact recent years the cars standing about there have gotten a lot less.

Not to mention most dealers pre-register a certain amount of stock each year and then sell it off cheap at the start of the following year.

Nothing new and not the huge issue its made out to be in my opinion.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Somewhat skewed? It's utter horlicks! Some of the pictures are of cars stored after the hated scrappage scheme. Problem is, people just share this nonsense without looking at whether its true. Some of the ridiculous stuff I've seen on Facebook lately makes me worry for humanity.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Why would I want a new car that is not new? Therin is a con in itself. No owners does not mean new. I recall Renault getting into a real problem by parking cars in an area that flooded and then supplying cars already rusting out many years ago. Lancia fell foul too. A 'new' car indeed. But not worth very much in terms of cash. There have been many instances of overstock of old models that get discounted out in a hurry.
The field stores are like a gasometer ebbing and flowing while production remains at a planned level. Add in some poor pool drivers, a lax garage and it is easy to see why lemons turn up. Another reason to avoid. Question, are there more gasometer sites than there were?
I do not care much for the content or pictures of the attached item, the thrust of the argument is sound, but as is the way with someone selling something they over egg the dish and tend to loose the pure content in sensationalism. Besides is storing or scrapping good usable second hand cars any much better than stockpiling or scrapping new ones. Might suit a few players but overall its a bloody stupid thing to be doing on several levels.
I wonder if I demanded to know the full history of my 'new' car, I would be told?

RBS, lucky they were not Icelandic or the directors would be in jail now rather than rewarding themselves with our money with the agreement of our elected representatives. (Should at least have paid them off in scrappage cars to the value). Its clear who is in charge, then, and who gets the bill. Duck.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Never ask the history of a 'new' car .

My grandad some years ago ordered a mk2 astra automatic (i know, i know, but it was his choice)
anyway, turns out the car took ages to arrive, because when it had arrived it fell off the transproter and was re-shelled.
Thats not a new car is it !!!!!
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Dollywobbler wrote: Problem is, people just share this nonsense without looking at whether its true. Some of the ridiculous stuff I've seen on Facebook lately makes me worry for humanity.
Me too... I'\ve had a cull on 'friends' who were sharing racist and scare-mongering crap.

As for thousands of new cars parked up, I remember in the mid-late nineties when I was speed testing a lot at Bruntingthorpe and there were many, many thousands of new cars stored there waiting for the fleet buyers to snap up bargains.
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

As we recently found out on my wifes Toyota rav4, when the guy came to diagnose an engine management prob, he plugged in his very clever machine and the car came up as built inn 2000 tho a 52 plate and the vin also came back as 2000, so i guess its been sat in a compound somewhere in the world for a good while.

A few years back when i brought my tzdt from a guy down worthing way he was also selling at same time a red V6 Xantia 98 on s plate with only 10k on the clock, which apparantly was used as a demonstator for 6 months then for some reason was parked in a field and forgotten about for about 8 years suffering quite a lot of corrosion on the underside. Wonder what happened to that?
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

My mum bought a 206 2.0 HDi new in 2002. Like most older people, she got totally sucked into the main dealer servicing thing and kept it mint. In 2008 she had done 28k miles! She got stressed one day and managed to scrape both sides of the car on bollards and hit the bonnet (I don't have any idea either!). We got it repaired at the body shop attached to Medway Citroen and when he rubbed the car down it was FULL or filler! Most cars sustain body damage in transit, especially if they're shipped from overseas, and have extensive bodywork when they arrive. It's been like that since at least the early 70's so I have been told from friends who worked in the industry.
Bride of Stinkwheel
http://weaselsemark.carbonmade.com

Citroen BX St Tropez
Still not over H592 AGW "Hugo" TZD Turbo
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yep nothing new here, they've always stock piled cars like this, the factories have to run a a set production rate to stay economical and stockpiling cars when sales are low whilst maintaining production is normal, the stock piles fluctuate in size with the peaks and troughs of market sales.
Look at my TZD;registered in 96 despite production stopping in 93.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

So its down to if you agree there are aqn excess over normal higher level of car stocks worldwide. I believe there are in the west, not so sure about home market Asia. They might have export over stocks of course, differing build specs.

Second issue is that quality control is really down to the buyer, like most products these days. All to easy to get stiffed. THere is another way of looking at a used car. At least you know it works!

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Renault weren't the only ones who got caught out storing cars in the wrong place - VW used to run production batches according to colour and back in the 70's it was well known in their dealer network what cars painted Bahama Blue were stored in an area prone to flooding.

More currently - Citroen XM's, depending on the model, would sit up to 3 years before sale. A local MG dealer still has some pre Chinese Rovers in stock, as well as a Mini Clubman Estate, a VDP Allegro and an MGB!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!