Starting Issues

BX Tech talk
Low Expectations
Confirmed BX'er

Starting Issues

Post by Low Expectations »

Hi all. Hope someone can help me with a problem on Dualatron (1990 1.6 TRS). Turn key to start. Starts fine. Runs for a few seconds then dies. Turn key again, usually starts straight away and all is well. If it doesn't start up i have to push throttle flat to the floor & keep it turning over and it will eventually start, with a strong smell of fuel. Then seems to run ok.
It has never run brilliant, always hunts a bit when trying to hold a steady speed. Tick overs not smooth either?? I have tried adjusting mixture screw (it was miles out, screwed it right in, seemed no different so have screwed it out till tick over was smoother, but still have same problems).
Thinking my cut out problem might be electrical??? Thinking carb might be shagged??? (its a solex).
Any help appreciated. Cheers Danny
demag
BXpert

Re: Starting Issues

Post by demag »

The carbs aren't brilliant, see my blog. But if it's been running ok and just started playing up then I would be checking plugs, leads, dizzy cap, air filter, air leaks.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Partly the nature of the carb, I'm afraid. If you have the Solex Z1. Best thing is a fairly thorough carb clean - strip and squirt carb cleaner through every orifice you can find. Worth checking all the diaghrams. Check float is at 33mm, weight of float 7 grammes no moreor change it. You will if you take the black, 4 screw end of the autochoke bit find 2 diaghrams in there, I will bet the second one with the L shape rod is stiff and hard. If you can find a replacement it will be soft and work better, do NOT try and separate the other one - you will break it and there are no replacements.

For all that mine still requires foot on the floor and a lot of turning but only after the engine is pretty warm. Cold start is fine, though for economy reasons I have reduced the autochoke tickover to barely enough to run. Glad you can get your mixture screw to work, I cannot bottom mine even after 6 full 360 Degree turns so have given up trying to set it - probably no thread in there. Can't move it in or get it out!.

Carb refurb kits (minus float) are available but not cheap around £50 and cover all Solex. If you have the Weber all the above will be different.

Economy wise, I'm getting around 40 mpg local running and high 40s' on longer trips. Drops in winter but never less than 35, or if it is something else is wrong.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Amongst the many fuelling issues my 16 had, the blocked tank-breather was the one that cured the starting issues as the vaccuum created was drawing all but the float chambers fuel back to the tank.

Similar symptoms (although mine's th Weber twin).
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Low Expectations
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Low Expectations »

Cheers for the suggestions. Will clean up carb as soon as i get a chance. Thinking its a sticking float. Am on the look out for a weber conversion with manual choke. Cheers Danny
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

BTW nominal mixture screw setting is 2 full turns out from bottom. Usually it will be optimum within say half a turn either way. At least that info is available and you have a datum setting. My normal approach is to screw in until bottom, counting half turns, then remove and refit after cleaning.

It was the missing 3mm of conic section of the mixture screw on a Mikuni which gave a clue as to the rough idle on a Yamaha 115 HP outboard......
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Manual choke conversions are still available on ebay for Weber or Solex.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.