Pressure reg and fdv swap done- issues

BX Tech talk
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Pressure reg and fdv swap done- issues

Post by maxgreenwood »

How difficult is it to swap over a pressure regulator?

The 19trs auto (see Gallery) is hosing LHM into the tank on return and tick time is less than 1 second. Have changed accumulator sphere.

I am considering using the 16TZS for parts, the hydraulic system in that one is very good all round, so i might just swap them over.
Last edited by maxgreenwood on Sun May 25, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
David
BXpert

Re: removal and refitting a pressure regulator

Post by David »

It depends on how rusty the pipes' unions are & if they come undone. If they come undone then its very easy to do. If they are rusty &/or stuck it can be very difficult. The 3 bolts on the gearbox are normally quite easy to undo. You will need spanners from 8mm-12mm (could someone correct me if more are needed), an 11mm socket & a screwdriver. If the unions are stubborn then you might have to remove the radiator to give more room.

Also make sure the regulators are both the same, they vary between power steering models & non power steering models.
maxgreenwood wrote:I am considering using the 16TZS for parts, the hydraulic system in that one is very good all round, so i might just swap them over.
How come you want to break your other car?
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Re: removal and refitting a pressure regulator

Post by maxgreenwood »

thanks David, i'll begin an attempt at this tomorrow, although i don't have new seals so if they go i'll have to finish in the week.

the 16tzs has a knocking bottom end and the engine smells awful - burning oil - white smoke out the oil filler tube, although i did discover the breather that connects to the head was blocked so i'm not ready to condemn the engine yet. i do have a compression tester so i might be able to determine the state of the rings.

Anyway i think i'll swap the regulator over to see if i can get the 19trs system behaving a bit better. I really like the combination of the auto boc and the extra torque from the 19 engine. Its a toy really so i'm not looking for amazing fuel consumption, and i've become very skilled in feathering the throttle on the Saab auto round town to maximise economy!

The regs should be the same, they're both power steering models.
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

pressure reg and FDV swap

Post by maxgreenwood »

Looking for a bit of help..

I've swapped over the fdv and pressure reg on the 19trs. Now having trouble getting pump to cut out.
Suspect it might be bleeding problems.
The car rises up quickly but pump won't cut out and I have no steering.
Belt is also slipping a bit altho I've tried to tighten/clean, got a new one coming tomorrow. It started burning at one point through getting hot.

So I'd be interested on tips on bleeding system and ways to lever the HP belt pulley downwards. I have a normal crow bar and have been knocking it down with a hammer and pipe also.

Thanks
Gary
BXpert

Re: Pressure reg and fdv swap done- issues

Post by Gary »

Have you put the pipes back in the fdv in the correct position ?
I had this on a BX when someone had put the pipes back incorrectly , it would pump up but the belt would start to smoke due to pump not cutting out.
The problem is now depressurising the system the one I did would drop into low and with the 12 mm bleed screw undone I thought that all was ok to remove the pipes, but I hadn't realised that there was still high pressure in the system due to the pipes being fitted incorrectly ,and within a couple of turns of the pipe I was covered in LHM.
So be careful.
1992 BX GTi Hurricane x2
1991 BX Meteor 1.9d
1993 BX TXD Turbo, Ice blue
1987 Visa GTi
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Yep two larger pipes into bottom of fdv fitted the wrong way round, assumed they shouldn't cross over but they do, checked on 16. Hope I havn't caused any damage. Will depressurise carefully!
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

All done and functioning correctly. Swapped pipes. Phew.
Unfortunately this known good reg, fdv and acc sphere hasn't cured the fast tick time (1sec) :roll:
Altho steering feels better.

Where next?
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

maxgreenwood wrote:All done and functioning correctly. Swapped pipes. Phew.
Unfortunately this known good reg, fdv and acc sphere hasn't cured the fast tick time (1sec) :roll:

Where next?
did swapping the pipes back stop the belt slipping Max,
as the pump will be pumping continuously when everything is connected correctly,
its the regulator that cuts in and out not the pump, citroen do call the regulator a circuit breaker

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

maxgreenwood wrote:All done and functioning correctly. Swapped pipes. Phew.

Where next?
Have you checked that you are not getting any flow from the strut returns? If they are doing more than the occasional drip then the seals could well be on the way out on the strut itself. Your 1 sec tick could just be because the pump is legitimately trying to keep up with any leakback.

(PS: a sure sign of previously known trouble here is if someone has used clamps or ty-raps on the strut return pipes)

Just in case that the problem is coming from high flow from the height correctors, select intermediate and listen to acc tick while in that mode as this diminishes leak-back for them.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Well I'm pleased to report that with a bit more air bleeding the tick time is now 30s!
Nice surprise.
(Edit) now after driving it's 6-7secs, hopefully it will settle down, bit more bleeding maybe

Now for some new LHM or Hydraflush, could do with it.
I have a small trickly steady flow from the return that has a t-piece just before the tank.
did swapping the pipes back stop the belt slipping Max,
Yes it did

I think the heater matrix is leaking too :roll:
Going through a coolant flush at present with new water and wynns
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Good luck with the heater matrix. I couldn't get mine past the steering bracket, so in the end removed the full dash & heater to get it out.

If your regulator is still ticking fast its possible there is nothing wrong with the other one & its a failed part on the car.

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Probably easier to move the steering column, but either way not a fun job!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
David
BXpert

Post by David »

mat_fenwick wrote:Probably easier to move the steering column, but either way not a fun job!
On mine I removed the steering column & still couldn't get the matrix out. It was the metal that the steering column screws to that mine was stuck on.

Its more time consuming removing everything, but at least you can remove the dust & grass seed :roll: out of your heater while it is out.