Safe working under bx

BX Tech talk
patersom10
BXpert

Safe working under bx

Post by patersom10 »

Need to do some bits under my 16v tomorrow, just wanted to check correct procedure for safety. Don't want to join the list !

Plan to lift suspension to full height, put 4x axle stands under each corner of floor pan.

Is this correct, have worked on normal cars previously but unsure of the BX way. #-o
93 ZX Volcane TD
03 Xsara VTR - HDI (remapped to 140bhp)

92 BX 16v phase 2 - now sold
93 BX 17TGD - now sold
demag
BXpert

Re: Safe working under bx

Post by demag »

Is the floor pan solid? I always prefer to support on subframes but never had a Bx up on stands so can't be sure.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I'd do sub frame mounts too and use a jack and blocks to get it higher than suspension max.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I have to get them high because I am fat. You cannot have to many supports under a car, despite that they might get in the way and need moving round. Oh, for a ramp!
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Christ, don't put them under the floor, it's not load bearing! It'll just bend.

Jacking points at either end of the sill, or as others have said the subframe, though on the back there's only one place you can put the stands without stressing the axle out.

You're gonna need it a bit higher than just highest suspension mode too :lol: You can't get most axle stands underneath without jacking it somewhere.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

+1 for not jacking or supporting the floor!! that would be proper foolhardy init.

This is my usual technique (available for critique from those more expert).

- car in highest position.

- raise either using the standard jack one side at a time in the special jacking point midway along the sill (exercise extreme caution especially if not on 100% level ground), or ideally with a trolley jack and a long beam of wood of at least 2in by 4in by 2ft to spread the load ('ive known bx subframes to bend slightly if jacked in the middle without a beam to spread the load) under the front subframe, then support it:

- axle stands with a wooden blocks to absorb weight under each side of the front subframe or at official jacking points easily identifiable due to the holes in the fibreglass side skirts on a 16v
- axle stands under the rear sills at the jacking points, or on the rear axle. NB if using axle stands at the rear jacking points be very careful not to end up puncturing the fuel tank when the car is lowered...
1991 Citroen BX 16v
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Kitch wrote:Christ, don't put them under the floor, it's not load bearing! It'll just bend.
I haven't tried it but I thought the section of floor with the grommets in just next to the front subframe mounting points was strong enough to jack on or use stands with?

I always feel apprehensive before raising and supporting my BX's - probably a good thing though!

Two large trolley jacks and a helper makes life much easier but I usually work by myself and on gravel surfaces so I've tended to jack on the front subframe with a long piece of wood after putting the car in high - not ideal, especially when you lower it as the suspension needs some pressure on the height correctors to raise... If you lower too quickly it's easy to dent or damage something underneath, like the sump!

A good solution would be a very low, heavy duty jack with a cross beam adapter... If it's stable enough you'd be raising the front evenly is the correct place:

cross beam adapter..

It's good to remember, trolley jacks raise in an arc and can easily topple cars off stands if you try raising one side at a time!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
patersom10
BXpert

Post by patersom10 »

Job done,

Just left it at low and used low profile jack to lift one side up then propped with axle stands on each end of sill.

Didn't need it too high I can still just about squeeze under a low lifted car.

More worryingly, have a hole in the block where impeller of the water pump sits, water pump disintegrated ! Had only done 5-6k, shame really as now need an new engine. Oh well only spent a fortune on it already :cry:
93 ZX Volcane TD
03 Xsara VTR - HDI (remapped to 140bhp)

92 BX 16v phase 2 - now sold
93 BX 17TGD - now sold
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Water pumps usually have a hole in there, but there's a seal on the other side so it shouldn't leak.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Yes water pumps have a weep hole in the casing to show when the seals are gone, is your hole in the water pump housing or engine block as you said? can't see how you would get a hole in the engine block there.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

When I go under my car I support it on concrete blocks. If I want to get underneath all of it I use 4 stacks, 2 under the front subframe & 2 under the corners of the back axle, just behind the fuel tank. To get it up I put it on highest setting, drive the front up ramps & jack the back up using the diff (although this won't work for a 2WD car).

I have found the box sections under the floors are solid enough to hold the car, But don't use the floor pans themselves.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Defender110 wrote:Yes water pumps have a weep hole in the casing to show when the seals are gone
To be pedantic ( :P ), the hole is there to allow the designed seal seepage to escape, without sitting against the bearing grease seal. Although it does serve to let you know when it's failed!

The seals themselves are usually ceramic faced, and require a little leakage for lubrication. Hence you may see evidence of leakage (e.g. crusty deposits) but this does not necessarily mean the seal has failed. OEM pumps often have an evaporation chamber to catch any liquid and boil it off so no unsightly deposits are seen.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Always jack with the suspension in high. For a start (and this does depend on the BX) it should mean that it'll stay high enough when dropped back down to not collapse onto the jack. Those chassis-looking sections under the floor are definitely not strong enough for jacking. My old Peugeot 306 was proof of this as some tyre-fitting numpty had tried.

Be wary of using the sill reinforcement points too. You really need the car to come down nice and level onto them, so the load is shared between at least two of them. A bit of rot and they become very weak too (ask me how I know...)
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Dollywobbler wrote:Always jack with the suspension in high. For a start (and this does depend on the BX) it should mean that it'll stay high enough when dropped back down to not collapse onto the jack.

Once you jack the car up and take the weight off the strut the suspension retracts to minimum anyway so starting on high won't make any difference it will still drop to the jack.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Nope. Can't say that's ever happened to me in my many years of BXing!