The Myth, The Legend, The Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4!

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
David
BXpert

The Myth, The Legend, The Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4!

Post by David »

Hi all, I promised some pictures of my car a few months ago now, But I couldn't really get any when it was in 100 pieces all over the dark garage floor. I have managed to fix most of the issues mentioned in my other threads & got it outside today for some pictures.

Also I can write on here about any little other things I mess with that don't seem relevant elsewhere.

History:

I bought the car back in March 2007. When I got it it was a 1.9 Diesel Meteor Automatic. It had done 198995 miles.

It hasn't been on the road since I bought it, but I have done quite a bit of off roading in the car so it hasn't just been sat.

It had issues but was generally a straight car. The interior was a mess (& was up until recently), The engine had oil leaks, the handbrake didn't work, the headlights were damaged, the rear arm bearings were screwed (see below) & the suspension was rock hard.
EDIT: The drivers window mechanism was also broken.
Back then I knew nothing about car mechanics & it took me over a year just to fix the suspension. (no one told me it was the spheres!).

Within 6 months the automatic gearbox gave out & tried throwing me through the windscreen (its a good job it wasn't on the road!) To this day no one knows why it locked up (it was in 'A' before anyone starts).

I managed to get a gearbox out of a 1.7 diesel for the car, but it was manual. Luckily we got all the needed bits at the same time. This was the first time I had the car in bits. My dad helped me put the gearbox in & got the car running again. The replacement gearbox was noisy but the car drove.

In 2008 I spotted a nice BX GTi 4x4 in a friend of a friends scrapyard. Straight away I thought would it be possible? The body of the 4x4 was rotten & they said the engine was warn out, but the running gear was OK. I struck a deal & got all the 4x4 parts, engine, instrument panel, wires & other small bits. I also got the mirrors, rear electric window parts, locks... Basically all the parts the GTi had that mine didn't.

I wasn't confident at pulling my car in bits, so the 4x4 bits were thrown to the back of the shed & left. But I slowly put all the other toys in it, Starting with the electric windows & foglights.

In 2009 I found some rust holes under the rear bumper & left inner wing, so I had them welded up by a friend. I didn't have a clue how to use a welder then. When he had it he told me there was something wrong with the suspension, but he wasn't sure what...

In early 2011 I decided it was time I got more confident with working on the car & thought it was about time I fixed the oil leaks it had since I bought it. I then pulled the engine out for the first time & put new oil seals in it. I cleaned all the engine & painted it blue. I then cleaned everything up under the bonnet & painted everything. I still didn't feel confident enough to put the 4x4 parts on it, so just put it back together as it was. This stopped the worst of the oil leaks.

In 2012, after messing with & repairing some other cars, my confidence had grown slightly & I was under the rear of my BX checking something when I found why he said the suspension was broken when it was welded. The rear arm bearings were screwed!

I was thinking for a few days how to repair this, when I thought put the 4x4 on it!

Over the next few months I swapped the parts over. I did the rear axle first as that is what was screwed on mine. I swapped the axle, fuel tank & put all the wires in for the pump. I then drove the car around just to see how different it felt, The difference was unbelievable, I never realised it handled so bad. I then swapped the subframe over. While the engine was in the shed I pulled the sump & head off to put all new gaskets on it as there was oil running down the sides, before starting the process of putting the transfer box on my engine. I was told the diesel engine wouldn't work well with the petrol gears, so I pulled both gearboxes in bits to make a good 4x4 diesel box, & found the gears in both were exactly the same! So I put new bearings in both & put them back together. Reassembling the car was quite straight forward, apart from getting the propshaft drive to fit between the subframe & steering rack. In the end I had to take the gearbox back off to give enough room. While I had the axle & subframe off & out of the way I had my first attempt at welding & patched a few small holes up I found.

I then waited months for a unreliable mechanic to make a exhaust to fit around the propshaft & axle.

Once that was done I realised I had 1000's of leaks from everything. I then pulled the engine out again to replace the octopus. I made one from small fuel & oil lines as it was easier & I knew it would fit. (five fixed 995 to go).

I then found & joined this forum.

They say the 4x4 has lots of different parts, But I used lots of standard bits, such as;
Steering rack,
Rear brakes (disks, pads & calipers),
Clutch & flywheel (I used the 1.7 diesel flywheel as the 4x4 one was cracked),
Wishbones,
Front hubs, & legs,
Rear anti roll bar,
Height correctors,
Gear linkages. (Although the proper 4x4 ones are slightly different).
EDIT: Front mounts for rear axle,
Spheres,
Front anti roll bar rubbers & mounts,
Droplinks,
Rear anti roll bar clamps to rear arms.

Parts I know are different;
Speedo Cable, (although I got my standard one to fit)
Drive shafts, (although the standard left one might fit the right front)
Front subframe,
Front anti roll bar,
Rear axle,
Rear suspension arms,
Rear suspension cylinders,
Exhaust,
Fuel tank,
Lower rear engine mount,
Height rod (I bent mine to fit),
Spare wheel carrier.
EDIT: Rear mounts for rear axle; (I used Citroen Berlingo ones).
Rear suspension cylinder rubber boots (although I squeezed 2WD ones on).

The center bearing was broke on the propshaft so I used one off a mk7 Ford Transit. It also fitted up to the car body so didn't need the extra part welding in for it.

I will put some pictures of it all in bits for the 4x4 when I find them.

Hope I haven't bored you all too much.
Last edited by David on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
David
BXpert

Re: The Myth, The Legend, The Citroen BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4

Post by David »

More Pictures (reposted from 2014).
Car Front.JPG
Car Back.JPG
Engine.JPG
Interior.JPG
Mileage Clock.JPG
Back Axle.JPG
DSC01454.JPG
Propshaft Bearing.JPG
DSC01455.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
BXpert

Post by David »

More Pictures.
Last edited by David on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Well you've certainly done a lot of work on that car, how does it drive now?, I think you may need to get that silencer a little higher. Do you work at a painters with lots of left over paint ;-)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Back then I knew nothing about car mechanics
I think you've done very well to complete a project most of us would think twice about - and then go down the pub instead.
& found the gears were exactly the same!

Sod's law :lol: and very useful info for anyone else looking to do the same. Also the list of common / unique parts is useful too.
Within 6 months the automatic gearbox gave out & tried throwing me through the windscreen
Autoboxes are capable of almost anything. I had a mini where the torque converter was falling apart and would occasionally jam solid when some of the loose bits of metal got between the vanes - that was fun ! I had a test drive in a Jag 5.3 which didn't really respond when I floored it - talking to a dealer the following day and they suggested the GB was probably trying to select 2 gears at the same time. I did once have the throwing-me through-the-windscreen scenario - but that was when I was trying to bump-start a 'fast' mini on a hill - and one of the drive shaft universal joints failed and jammed against the diff housing.

Like Kevan - I'd suggest getting the rear exhaust box a bit further off the ground. If it was me I'd have a stainless steel system fitted - you've done practically everything else. I don't know about the hatchback, but the tailpipe on estates normally has a final curve downwards towards the road otherwise there's a possibility of getting exhaust fumes leaking back into the car through the tailgate - but IIRC the 4x4 estate doesn't have that.

Keep up the good work and let us know how it's going :D
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Defender110 wrote:Well you've certainly done a lot of work on that car, how does it drive now?
It seems to drive quite well. It has lots of power, the brakes work the best they have in ages, the steering can be turned with 1 finger, the clutch is very light, the gearbox is quiet & you can feel the car is driving on 4 wheels. Its very stable. Its much easier to drive then the Xsara I have, that still runs like a bag of nails!

However Something is vibrating when moving though, I'm not sure if its the propshaft or the exhaust.
Defender110 wrote: I think you may need to get that silencer a little higher.
It catches the floor, So I'll sort it somehow. There were no mounting points for the exhaust & the mechanic that put the exhaust together screwed it to the tow hook. It made it harder because it had no bumpers on when it was made. I will try to make some sort of bracket for it but my engineering isn't a strong point.
Defender110 wrote: Do you work at a painters with lots of left over paint ;-)
Sadly not, I am still unemployed at the moment & keep getting turned down for jobs. :cry:

electrokid wrote:
& found the gears were exactly the same!
Sod's law :lol: and very useful info for anyone else looking to do the same. Also the list of common / unique parts is useful too.
Look on the positive side, At least I put new bearings in the gearbox so its quiet, & I now know how they come apart.
electrokid wrote:Like Kevan - I'd suggest getting the rear exhaust box a bit further off the ground. If it was me I'd have a stainless steel system fitted - you've done practically everything else. I don't know about the hatchback, but the tailpipe on estates normally has a final curve downwards towards the road otherwise there's a possibility of getting exhaust fumes leaking back into the car through the tailgate - but IIRC the 4x4 estate doesn't have that.
Once I get another job I am hoping to get a better exhaust made, but this one works for now. I lost my job when I was in the middle of this project.

Hopefully I will get some more pictures of the 4x4 mod & some other mods when I find/ get them.

David
BXpert

Post by David »

I have got some more pictures of other unique mods I have done on the car, plus ones that some BX owners take for granted. (Reposted from 2014)

I have added (standard on some models):
Rear electric windows,
Front fog lights,
Digital clock,
One touch electric drivers window,
Electric mirrors,
4 grab handles above doors,
6 Radio speakers,
Open door warning panel,
Heated drivers mirror (& wires for a passenger one),
Oil pressure clock,
Oil temp clock,
Water temp clock,
Rev counter.

Some none standard mods I have added:
Override for radiator fan,
Override to turn off interior lights,
LEDs in electric window switches,
Override switch to turn radio on with/ without ignition,
Override switches to turn front & rear windows on without ignition/ off with ignition or work as standard,
Window washers behind bonnet,
Heater mod (as mentioned in tech section of forum),
Headlight mod (similar diagram that electrokid posted),
Ignition switch bypass (as mentioned by Matt in tech section of forum),
Made the headlights go off with the ignition,
Made the dash illumination only come on with the lights.

Also, There's a Picture of the headlight mod relays &
A Picture of the drivers window switch. What do you make of this?

I can provide details if anyone is interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

David
BXpert

Post by David »

-Post deleted-
Last edited by David on Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Anyone who can do all of what you have done on this car without any experience isn't going to be unemployed for too long I'm sure.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
nixiy

Post by nixiy »

What a brilliant project. Though about going it alone as a"tinkering"mechanic? Craftsmanship is in short supply these days. Hope you get a job soon, just make sure you get enough time off to carry on.
KEV-2001 Xantia hdi estate
NXI-1990 BX 19RD hatch
PIG-1991 TZD Hurricane
BSA A7 Shooting Star
BSA Greeves racer
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Anyone who can do all of what you have done on this car without any experience isn't going to be unemployed for too long I'm sure.
Exactly what I was thinking :D but expressed in a better way than I was thinking of :oops:

There's an awful lot to like about this project and the way it's been engineered - I particularly like the way the extra switches are arranged on the centre console to be in line with the diff lock.

=D> =D>
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Awesome! the exhaust should come out of the other side as per other BX's, the 4x4 had an extra apron on the bottom of the bumper, not sure why but the exhaust is bespoke to the 4x4! theres a couple of other guys on here that have 4x4's (mike sims for one), and he has a 1.9 carb fed estate so it has the same exhaust system asides the front pipe and slightly longer tailpipe on the rear box.

keep up the good work!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Awesome! the exhaust should come out of the other side as per other BX's
Is it on the other side for RHD cars ?
not sure why but the exhaust is bespoke to the 4x4!
It has to thread its way around the rear axle Tim.
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
David
BXpert

Post by David »

I'm glad you all like it. :D

Originally on this the exhaust was on the left, However the back pipe I got off the GTi was on the right & is the one I have used. The front section I had made as the GTi one was riddled with holes & it didn't line up with my manifold.

I have got some pictures showing underneath. Just excuse the mud. :roll:

David
BXpert

Post by David »

Close up of the diff & sphere support. The copper pipe is one of what was leaking. (shown & shamed) :lol: