Help! clutch cable

BX Tech talk
quirky

Help! clutch cable

Post by quirky »

Hi, I hope you guys can help. I bought a shed of a BX (but road worthy). Driving it home about 5 miles from my house pushed the clutch pedal in and it didn't come back up! Thankfully it was just round the corner from a garage. The car is now with them, with a broken clutch cable. The Garage has got a new clutch cable but are having problems fitting it. It keeps 'jumping off'. It's a BX19 diesel TGD. Do you guys have any ideas why the cable would jump off. When i bought the car it was advertised as have a new clutch fitted. Any ideas?
sdelasal
BXpert

Re: Help! clutch cable

Post by sdelasal »

Which end of the cable keeps 'jumping off'? The pedal end is very difficult to attach correctly with a plastic ferrel that needs correctly locating. The cable needs to be adjusted correctly, gearbox end, to remove slack. The lever arm at the gearbox end can also distort/ break and so mess up operation. Search on here for that. Steve
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

possibly they are trying to fit the wrong cable????

or they are not fitting the outer cable at the bulkhead properly, they can be great fun

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
quirky

Post by quirky »

Wow, what a great forum! Thanks for the replies. As for which end it's jumping off from, I don't know that was what the garage told me. I intend to pop down tomorrow to have a look. Although as for the wrong cable they looked at that and the new cable is the same as the cable that came off the car. The garage bill might end up being more than i paid for the car! But the overall cost will be small, for the right to drive such a cool car :D Why oh why did i give my GSA away for free!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Wish there was a 'like' button for this thread.

U sound like a great guy Quirky...

Andy
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

A clutch cable is about an hours work, tho access at the bulkhead is limited depending on engine fitted, some pattern cables are rubbish and dont fit very well, the small plastic collar insert at the top is quite tricky to get in and line up but once in should stay put, the routing of the cable has to be correct or it can foul or hit the exhaust downpipe.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Wow, what a great forum!
Yeah - we think so too :D welcome aboard.

There are a variety of clutch cables and those who supply them are not always familiar with the model differences: so when the 'new clutch' was fitted there is no absolute guarantee that the one you have fitted was the right one.

I suggest you fill in the details on your control panel re your location and the year and model of your BX - that will help us to help you. Then when the clutch is sorted and you have more time then please post some pics :D
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate